How to buy a car off of Ebay ? | FerrariChat

How to buy a car off of Ebay ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ive never bought a car from ebay before. Whats the best way ?

I found a very nice something that I will share w you all later, Dont need anybody beating me to it :)

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Call the guy!

DL

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I've done it and was a great transaction. If it's high dollar, the guy is a little shakey and feedback is out of line, I'd pay a few bucks and use an escrow if you still want it. It's not that bad if you use common sense and listen to your gut.

4. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Whats an escrow?

5. UnholyDemon

UnholyDemon Karting

Oct 1, 2004
    An Escrow service is a "middle man" so to speak. You and the seller agree to use an escrow service, and then you send the money to the Escrow, and the seller sends the Car to the escrow. The Escrow makes sure that the money is good and so is the car and once everything clears, they send the money and the car to the new owners.

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The best way is to cut e-bay out and call the guy!

7. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    See if the seller is willing to accept an offer to end the auction early with a PAYPAL deposit. If accepted, proceed as usual.

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It's an arrow with a little bag attached to it. You shoot the arrow over with the money and he shoots the arrow back with the papers and key. It's magic I tell ya! Funny though, it's been 36 months and the arrow hasn't come back with the papers or the key....

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Now there's a plan!

I would also cut eBay out. Call, arrange to meet and be done with it.

Also I hear that accounts are being taken over just long enough for a scam to be conducted.

Seller "A" barely uses his account, Scammer "A" gets ahold of the passcode through a number of ways and sells a high ticket item for a fairly low price, {ends the auction quicker}. Just check to see if he/ she has sold a car before.

But in your case, I'm sure you aren't buying a car from a man who usually sells forks.

10. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    In discussions with dealers (and it seems like all sellers on Ebay now-a-days are dealers), they use Ebay as a cheap marketing tool. They put an over-the-top reserve on the car with the idea that potential buyers will contact them off net to discuss the car.

I rarely see a seller do it the way that I'd do it if I was trying to sell a high dollar car on the Internet.

1. The auction only determines the ulimate purchase price.
    2. At the end of the auction, the buyer should send a small deposit, say $1,000.
    3. The buyer will then have, say, 30 days to arrange for a PPI by a mutually agreeable tech.
    4. If the PPI results are materially different from my representations on Ebay, the deal is off. If not, we can use my bank as an escrow agent to finish the deal.

But maybe, this is just me.

Dr "What's it gonna take to get you into this car today?" Who

12. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Did you get your own PPI/look at it yourself?
    I've bought 2 cars on ebay, one a cheap ride that I didn't make out so well on but learned a lot from, and the 2nd was my Ferrari which was a process that had a few snags, but I'm quite happy with in the end. I was also high bidder on another car but after a post-auction PPI rejected the car. I learned a lot.
    Look at the car or have someone you trust the mechanical sensitivity and honesty of look at it. (aka "Get a PPI")
    Don't take a used car salesman's word for it on the condition of the car! (see above)
    Keep the money close and always have a plan on how to get out of it.

P.S.-my Ferrari deal was structured very much like was described above, the seller was bid123sold... Very good transaction!

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ugh, sorry to hear that, I had 1 of those too, I'll never buy another car witout a good PPI

14. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado