308 GTB-Anybody ever install alarm remote auto door locks? | FerrariChat

308 GTB-Anybody ever install alarm remote auto door locks?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by greg328, Apr 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm about to dissassemble my doors to install stronger window motors, and was wondering about installing an alarm w/ auto door unlock servos on this car, while I've got it torn down. In fact, I really care more about the remote unlocking than the alarm system.

Has this ever been done? Obviously, the door locks on 308s are very basic, and not very robust, but if possible I'd like to have the ability to remotely unlock my doors......

TIA,
    Greg

2. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I had the remote door lock put on the driver's door only,(1980 308) 3 years ago with no problems so far and I really like it. I have the option to have one installed on the passanger door at any time if I ever want to for about $100.

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Walt, can you give me more info on what system you used? I'd like to do it as soon as possible..

Greg

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hi Greg,

I did this EXACT job on my GTB. I'll PM you my phone number and we can discuss it. Sorry I can't post the info but I am a pretty slow typer and I know this is the kind of thing an open dialoge would help greatly with.

5. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    The alarm system I had put in is a Viper, not too sure about the lock/unlock mechanism. I can only tell you that it is compatible with the Viper alarm and key chain (fob?).

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks, Walt. I'll check it out....

Greg

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    MIKE328 ( MikeP) did this on my old ( his first) 78 308gts . PM him or search as i think he had a thread on it. he no longer has his last name posted in his profile, so i dont want to post it here without his blessing. pm me and i will give it to you to search the achives by. ( he changed his member name when he got the 328).

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Mikes posts are the ones I listed. I merely contributed to his post.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

:) oops..... sorry i should have checked the links......... thanks ..... sheepish grin :)

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey guys! Michael (reaper), thanks for the pointers here and for your consideration re: last name.

Rob (tazio), good job hunting down those old threads! Impressive search skills :). Also remember, your thread came first and you were the "inspiration" for my work!

I was very thorough in documenting what all needed to be done, but am always available to help answer questions.

Again I'll just mention that this was one of the best things I did to improve the "experience" of the car. For me, part of enjoying the Ferrari is enhancing the smoothness of the experience, and just sailing up to the door and opening it right up was part of that!

--Mike