Nice to see the Testarossa holding it's own | FerrariChat

Nice to see the Testarossa holding it's own

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by prancing_pony, Apr 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    Had a 911 Carerra 4S right on my rear end as I exited a roundabout onto a section of dual carriageway this morning and decided to see how the old girl faired against more modern machinery.

I was expecting the 911 to be all over the back of me but up to 85ish which is about as quick as I will go on the public road in the car the 911 was simply not as quick as I thought it would be. I was expecting to be passed easily.

He eventually went past at quite a rate and it did sound bloody good with sports pipes on it.

Anyway it was nice to see an older car hold it's own

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    even a porsche turbo will not beat a testarossa once its going at 40mph but from a standing start the porsche will leave you stopping and going round corners that is a problem in a testarossa

3. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    yes this was a straightline drag, don't know about the 512M gearing but 2nd in the Testarossa will take you up to 85/90 without needing a gear change

In my experience it's the gear change that is always the 'iffy' bit when having some fun against other machinery, sometimes you get it right and next time you are looking for the next gear

Still I love the Testarossa because you actually have to learn to drive the car with no electronics to help you, which for me is most of the fun, you just can't get in and drive the car, you have to learn it

When you get it 'right' there is nothing better!

Took the family out in the 'normal' car back to back with the Ferrari and crikey did it feel slow, I can see the appeal of the 'uberwagens' the pace of a Ferrari but with more than two seats!

4. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    A 996 4S really isn't quick at all. only 340bhp and all that weight / 4WD to contend with. Around corners is a different matter as it does go quite well in that repect obviously with the 4WD an PSM.

Steve, I would wager that a 996TT X50 or a GT2 would humble a Testa in a straight line from any speed!

5. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    320hp ;)

I think it's got one of the lowest power/weight ratios of any 996. Does look nice though.

6. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

they aint quick my 305bhp scooby eats em on tracks

7. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    once my car gets to 60 and you floor it not much will beat it two lads on a fireblade and a r6 got a skock a few months ago thats when i got 185 on the speedo they pulled me up and could not believe that a car had beat them but from a standing start they would leave me for dead

8. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Top speed in 2nd gear is about 78MPH so if yours does 85/90 your doing bloody well :confused:

9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    he might have a tuned up speedo

10. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    I was wondering if it was overeading but 2nd will take you to an indicated 85mph

11. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    At what RPM are you doing that?

Do you go through the Red line?

12. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    I can't say I remember going beyond the redline and I am sure that the car is definately exceeding 80mph before going for 3rd

I might take it out tomorrow after I get back from work and see what the indicated speed is, pretty sure redline in 2nd equates to 85mph indicated though

13. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    #13 barabus, Apr 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's possible your speedo's a little fast as the actual performance figures show 79MPH for 2nd gear.

Here are the performance figures from Mark Hughes's book on the Ferrari Testarossa

:D :D :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    got any for my car simon ???????

15. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    that is certainly interesting, I had a hunch the speedo was overreading but it's very difficult to judge how fast the car is going when you can only compare against a family saloon car with such a different ride height

I am definately going out tomorrow to check what the speedo indicates in 2nd at the redline now just to satisfy my curiousity

16. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Fraid not , only know its top is 196MPH

17. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    Steve, i think you'd be surprised how quick the 996TT's are. We did some rolling starts at VMAX II and I'm sure the 996TT & the 512TR we had were pretty neck and neck until about 150 & the 996 was pulling away at that speed.

18. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    Had the day off today so took the Testa' for a spin. Took it to the redline in 2nd and hit 80mph so I guess the speedo is accurate

question: why does everyone in an Imprezza Turbo think they are the quickest thing in 4 wheels? Had to give one a ***** slap this afternoon