Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update | FerrariChat

Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Chelle, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #1 Chelle, Mar 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As many of you know we're redoing the red car.. I found a shop that will let me use all their equipment and have been spending most of my free time there trying to get it all ready. Engine has been test fit a few times for me to make the motormounts and crossmember, and as soon as the body is ready we'll send it for the paint (I'm not painting this one myself) then it will come home for us to put the interior in and do all the wiring..
    Power is more than doubled and it is going to be great! And Haley is scared - she's never seen a car come this far apart, is finding it hard to believe it will ever run again. But heck, I'm sure many of you here have had your cars as far apart for restoration right?
    I need to buy a membership here so I can post more pics but here's some.
    BTW after I get this to the paint shop, if any listers need to do work on their cars but don't have a lift or other heavy tools let me know - I can use this shop anytime they are open - on weekends the hours are 9am till 4:30pm
    Chelle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wow!
    It does look scary.

Did you stretch the chassis yet?

And yes pls sign up with FChat, I want to see much more pictures of this. Heck, I'll buy you a beer at go kart to make up for your FChat fee.
    :)

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    ROCK ON!!!!

4. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Andreas,
    I've seen some cars disassembled more than this before, so I'm not scared :) I can certainly understand people being intimidated seeing a car reduced to several large piles of parts though.
    I came up with a way to get the same stretch without cutting the rails though so we don't compromise the strength. Additionally I'm adding some reinforcements to tighten the car up as Haley is much more prone to searching out the car's limits (on the track) than I am. The engine is set back and down quite a bit as well and according to the scales when I first test fit the engine the weight distribution is going to be 49/51. The dry sump system allowed me to lower the engine about 5 inches. :)
    The only reason I haven't signed up here is not having a paypal account. I just need to get off my butt and send Rob the money - the price is a bargain, I am just terrible at putting things in the mail

Napolis.. I guess if anyone here has had a car torn down further it's you !!
    Thanx for the encouraging notes guys,
    Chelle

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    WOW, I'd never have the guts to go that far myself!

Thank God I have Ed!!!!

6. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #6 Chelle, Apr 7, 2005
    Thought I should update here too.
    These pics were taken about a week ago when I was test fitting the engine all those guys at the shop didn't think would fit.. There's room in front of it for the dry sump tank and a couple fans and all kinds of extras.
    The dry sump and firewall recess really allowed me to set the engine back and low... enough room to maybe fabricate an EFI setup that looks like 6 webers someday!
    The Trans is a T-56.. same one they use in everything from Vipers to Aston Martins to Vettes, Trans Ams etc... we had to have a custome bellhousing made
    This will be about 450hp and I liked that it was SOHC like the original GTO would be, but with an efi setup.. and it's all aluminum, weight is right about 500lbs.
    and no, it's not a Jag engine :)
    Chelle

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You said it is a Ferrari engine and it is not a 456, 550 or 575 (which is roughly the same engine anyway). It doesn't look like a 400i either, so what's left? Scaglietti 612 or TR. Scag is probably too new, so is it a TR?

Any word about the mounting points? What about connecting the instruments? So many questions.

8. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Looks like a BMW V-12. Chelle, are you going to have it as an auto trans? 450 HP should be a lot of fun in that little car!

9. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Can't be a TR, it's obviously a 60 deg. V-12, not a flat-12.

Looks like the BMW 750 engine to me, too, but AFAIK that engine only came with electronic ("drive-by-wire") throttle assemblies. Of course, if you're converting an engine to dry sump, why not put on whatever EFI setup you want. ;)

Although, the things at the front of the intake plenums look suspiciously like actuators to me, so maybe it is BMW. I'm sure Chelle is enough of a computer geek to hook a potentiometer up to the right pedal and get it to work. :D

In any case, nice work!

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, duuh! Of course. How did I miss that?

11. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Didn't realize you deleted it from where I first posted Andreas. Haley just explained - I've been away from my desk a while.

Like I said in the other thread Andreas, we tried for a Ferrari engine but the modern ones from wrecked cars were , well, more than a REALLY nice 308 would cost.
    I was intentionally leaving the make of the engine out to see how long it would take for someone to guess. :)

I fabricated all the motor mounts. Here's a poor shot of one of the scratchbuilt mounts.
    http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/personal/GTO-enginemount1.jpg
    Instrments are all new Autometer in a custom made (by us) dash that looks similar to the original GTO dash.

Michael, no no, not an auto - Haley and I both would never want an automatic....
    ESPECIALLY in something like this.
    It's a T-56 six speed. and with everything minus driver it's going to be between 2300 and 2400 lbs
    Dean - yes the BMW came with fly-by-wire but Haley knows I sometimes tend to let electrical glitches go for a while... so fly-by-wire is not an option.. lol it has a throttle cable...

Andreas... sorry to not be more specific with ya at first.. we wanted a modern Ferrari engine... went with this - and I wanted to see how long it would take for people to figure out that we're running the same engine they build the McLaren engines from :)
    Chelle

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Chelle, I though you had a Ferrari V12 somewhere? Is that going into the white GTO someday? Or is it reserved for your real Ferrari?

BTW: I know a guy in Germany with a Daytona replica and a Jag V-12. He custom made a fake air intake/carburetor to make the engine look a lot more like the original when opening the hood. I bet you could take a similar approach.

Regardless your power/weight ratio guarantees fun.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure you get a REALLY nice 308 for 18 grand:
    http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/engines.htm

14. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Andreas... white one is a friend's car.... I'll PM you
    I've seen tired late 60's Ferrari V12's for $18k.. the modern ones I have not seen one for less than $40k

Chelle

15. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    ARGH! How could I have remembered the 750iL and forgotten about the Benz 600SL!!!

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #16 tifosi12, Apr 7, 2005
  17. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    :) going to be lots nicer.. lots... Haley bought new seats and trim pieces.. I did tons of mods and the body... ya won't think it's the same car except that the pictures will show the progress.. I'll be at shop tonight a while - will take more pics
    Chelle

18. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Chelle, you and Haley amaze me!

Haley called tonight; we'll be doing chili soon.

If you need any tweaking with the GTO, I'm sure you can bring it down to Ed and he'll help you out.

He and Patty were really impressed with you and your knowledge of cars when they met you.

Skip

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No Doubt!!!!!!.....:)

20. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx Skip... your friends Ed and Patty were really nice - and have a great shop :) I was impressed too!
    and enjoyed the Brats!
    Maybe he can go over the rear differential.. it's had a hum for a few years ...
    Chelle

21. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I'm sure he can.

If you've misplaced the #, it's 847-934-6111.

22. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #22 Chelle, Apr 10, 2005
    Heya guys, as promised here's more pics including the interior shots of the firewall :) With the Dash in place it should look pretty good :)
    This shot shows the recess in the firewall that the engine sits back into slightly.It didn't really need to be this deep but I did it for easy access, and because this depth made it double as a great dead pedal. I'm going to cut an access hole and make a removable cover to be able to access the back of the motor, heater hoses, etc...

Chelle

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If I see this correctly you're also switching it to RHD? Neato.

24. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #24 bill365, Apr 11, 2005
  25. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    yeah - we wanted to be different... you know - since there's so many GTO's out there we wanted to be reasonable sure ours was different than all the rest :)
    Chelle