Autocar- "new" Dino?======= | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Autocar- "new" Dino?=======

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Apr 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    ferrari get it wrong again when will they ever learn

PROPER FERRARI'S HAVE 12 CYLINDERS IN THE REAR

2. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    TRUE SAY!

3. 360

360 Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Orpington Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    QUOTE IMO, I think is happening with Lamborghini - the Gallardo is a wonderful car, but 3,500 a year makes them more available and will affect prices, so making them more attainable to the average man. Not a bad thing you might think - but Grouch Marks had a point - "I dont want to be a member of any club that would have me as a memeber" (or whatever he said...)[/QUOTE]

How many 360 were built last year? you dont need to look any further than a 575 if you want to study depriciation and they dont make to many of them. Its just what the buying public will pay which sets prices, but Ferrari should not dumb down the brand for short term gain even a market floatation! Oh cynical me

4. reggie

reggie Guest

does that mean you agree with him ?

5. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    Yeees. That would be funny and accurate...were it not for the fact that its twaddle. Bought an Autorcar this morning, read the article, immediately booked 1/2 day from work, grabbed the chequebook and buggered off down to MC Sevenoaks. When asked what they wanted off me there and then, they said LofI and a £5k cheque deposit when they had 50 LofI confirmed. I havent got a problem writing them one as soon as they ask me.

As for being the sort of owner they want? I should bloody well hope so. I currently run a Grif 430, a damn sight rarer than either any 360 or 430 ever will be and with a bagful more character than either could hope for.

Oh and Steve F....I kinda agree with you :) I went to see Arthur at KPHC again t'other week about his son's 512BB and fell in love with it all over again. Now there aint much that can tempt £30Kish of my money away from a Boxer, but a stunning Heritage C-Type was providing stiff competition :) 6's and 12's...the only real engines, 8's are just there to make do.

They money is going to the Dino though, with a bit of luck it might just mark the return of a Ferraris with a soul era and the end of a Ferraris for Americans era.

6. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Oh please. Like a broken bloody record.

7. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    KIND OF!

8. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    a soul era? This car is for the americans. it's ferrari's version of a mass produced entry level car, so what you're saying doesn't really make sense to me.

Then you bemoan the 360 for being common; well this will be the most common ferrari when it is released.

It's hardly a return to anything anyway - when did they ever do a front engined V8? The original dino was a mid engined V6.

kind regards

9. reggie

reggie Guest

As for being the sort of owner they want? I should bloody well hope so. I currently run a Grif 430, a damn sight rarer than either any 360 or 430 ever will be

If rare is better, would you consider applying this theory to your posting on here ?

10. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Muppet.

11. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    I bemoan the 360 for having a fat arse, being overweight, ugly and frankly just plain damn lardy in every dimension. Not to mention the downright awful interior. I dont bemoan it for being common. I couldnt care if they made 1 or 10,000 of the damn things.

As far as Ive read the article the "new" Dino is going to be lighter and more compact that either of the 360 or 430. So in that sense it is the antithesis of an American Ferrari. *Thats* what I appreciate.

I hear you on the from/mid engined one though. Like I said though, Im more interested in the Daytona/275 heritage side of the car.

That Ferraris should be exclusive or whatever is a bollox argument to me Im afraid. Ive already got that several times over and in stuff a hell of a lot more exotic that any Ferrari ever made. Desirable is what I want and outside of the new announcement Ferrari dont make a single desirable product to me.

12. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Chris,

I hear you with the comment on its what the public will pay for which sets the prices but I think the 575 is a very different car to a 360. I gave the Gallardo as an example of brand dilution, but I dont think 3,500 Gallardos' a year will kill the prices of Murcies.

I dont know how many 360's were made last year, but I would say that in a few years they will be cheaper than 308's, 328's and maybe even 355's for the same reason I think the bum will drop out of Gallardo's (and these new Dino's if they go ahead).

550's/575's will, as we can all see, lose shed loads of cash in their early years, but, IMO, as they are desirable and to many unobtainable with the new prices (so much more limited in used numbers), they will reach a plateau (sp) and stay there, say low £40k's.

The 456's are a good example. There's not too many of those about as they're £170k new, but used, they've hit mid £30's and are forcasted to be there in a years time. I'd say they'll stay there as demand/supply will keep them there.

Woah... gone off on one there a bit. Just my .02 worth. That my opinion, and as the saying goes... opnions are like bum holes, everyone has one :)

All the best
    Jamie

13. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody

LOL! You do know this is a Ferrari site right? :)

Light fuse, and stand well clear.....

14. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Big mistake.

12,000 cars is alot for a maker in this niche. And young fellas in Gucci loafers working in "marketing" and "accounts" departments are falling into a trap that could damage a brand for decades.

Desirability is an odd thing, linked very much with exclusivity in the main.

Add to this 12,000 the Astons (DB9, V8 - of which Ford will make as many as they can sell), Porkers, Lambos and plethora other badges that ressurect themselves, and there are rather a lot of cars around.

Luca needs to get a grip. "His" cars will continue to sell on much more than price point and sheet ability. But the "heritage" and "status" of that form will wear off very quickly if volumes ever go much above where they are now.

BTW, I think it will be very interesting watching the prices of 360s in the next few years too. Also, if the 275GTB had been made in mass numbers, it would never have held it's value quite like it has.

15. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    You can't buy Arthur's son's 512. It's become the touchstone of the lack of liquidity in the market for cars. It's been for sale for longer than my little girl's been able to speak, and she's eight and was a relatively early developer!

16. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Also, how is a front engined ugly motor the new Dino?

17. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    Hehe, yeah :)
    I made my opinions on the 360 pretty clear last yr. I tend to prefer older Ferraris and if I hadnt decided to pt down for a new Dino or whatever it will be, I would most likely have bought a Carb'd Boxer.

Its horses for courses.

18. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    I truly thank God I never think of the worth of a car in terms of monetary value. A 275GTB is desirable not because of their rarity but because of the way they looked and they way they went! The damn thing is desirable because the mind and body both say "want/need" at exactly the same time.
    Affordability of that want is another thing altogether :)

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    well i thought you was intelligent at first reading your post but this bit amusses me the only good thing about a TVR is if you crash into a river the car will float like an old boat and when wet the electrics might work better as they dont work when they are dry

20. reggie

reggie Guest

Couldnt agree more.

21. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Where are these production figures coming from? This thread includes 4 to 8,000 "dinos" and 12,000 Ferraris pa.

Autocar talks about the new car raising total sales from "under 5,000 cars per year to as many as 8,000. So that is a maximum of 3,000 "dinos" and 8,000" cars in total.

Let's also remember this is Autocar, not Ferrari speaking. Even then it starts by saying that "Ferrari is set to give the green light", so nothing is even agreed even.

As the owner of one of these "fugly" 360s this does not concern me at all. I'm enjoying my car for what it is, not constantly looking at residuals. If were to be worth next to nothing after a few years I will have had a great experience that will have been worth every penny. So to one particular 360 basher, I say lay off. You enjoy whatever you want to enjoy and leave us to enjoy our great cars. Sorry mine is not to your taste, but judging by the comments I receive you are in the minority of the British population.

22. reggie

reggie Guest

That Ferraris should be exclusive or whatever is a bollox argument to me Im afraid. Ive already got that several times over and in stuff a hell of a lot more exotic that any Ferrari ever made.

I really hope your not all talk and can back up this rather large statement. You'll be allowed to post stuff like 'i immediatly went and put my deposit down' and ' ive already got that several times over and in stuff a hell of a lot more exotic THAT (than ???) any Ferrari ever made' a few times, then you'll have to back up your mouth with proof, and i really hope your not just shooting your mouth off, cos someone might look a little silly if they were.

Plus i hope stuff, that is more exotic than any Ferrari isnt a TVR !

23. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I agree with Ken; the whole 360 production run was 17,500 cars so 12,000 a year to include the 430 and "new Dino" seems very optimistic

24. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    If they truly build a car to compete with Porsche on Build Quality, Reliability and running costs then there is no reason that the can't reach much higher production numbers and it would open the Ferrari doors to a lot more people.

You should not buy a Ferrari as an investment, you should buy it for the passion and experience.

25. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I think we have missed the point - Maverix states his other cars in his profile as an MG TF 135 - better sell it m8 to get that deposit handy. I'm sure the residuals on that given the recent news will be excrement - great buy sir.

Does the N/A in Ferrari's owned section of your profile stand for Nasty/Arsehole?

I normally can't be (t)arsed to get involved with the more politically charged banter that goes on, but I've got to say your comments about the 360 are the most opinionated load of crapola I have read on this site yet. A childish spiteful comment which is trying to prove what? Still, at least you backed it up with intelligent follow up posts. Not. Stop being a muppet and if you have nothing of value to add to the forum, don't bother. Muppet.