Tyre trouble - TRX's | FerrariChat

Tyre trouble - TRX's

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 3rdlight, Apr 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3rdlight

3rdlight Rookie

Mar 7, 2004
    Gwent, UK
    Hi all,

This is probably a question that has been asked a thousand times over the years but I couldn't find an archive post from the UK.

I have a Mondial QV and need 2 new 240/55 VR 390 Michelin TRX's. The prices are pretty obscene at the moment from most suppliers (£250+ each)and I wondered if anyone could offer any suggestion as to where I could pick up some for a reasonable price.

I'd consider part worn tyres too, so if anyone has any hanging around I would be very interested.

Thanks all,

Jon
    Newport

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    it will be cheaper to buy some newer wheels and tyres

3. 3rdlight

3rdlight Rookie

Mar 7, 2004
    Gwent, UK
    I've heard that said a few times Steve. Unfortunately I haven't a clue when it comes to "what fits what" and therefore wouldn't know where to begin.

My mech knowledge is sadly lacking, and I don't have anybody local with Ferrari knowledge to ask.

If anyone on the forum has changed their Mondial wheels for a different size in the past and could give me a pointer or two to get me started. I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,
    Jon

4. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    have you tried longstone tyres near doncaster ?.... they are usually pretty good on cost.
    cheers, d

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    longstone of bawtry nr doncaster

6. 3rdlight

3rdlight Rookie

Mar 7, 2004
    Gwent, UK
    Thanks both, I'll give them a call.

Cheers,
    Jon

7. mondial

mondial Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    hi i have a chance of some testarossa wheels and tyres which are 225/50/16 8j.x.16 and 255/50/16. 10j.x.16 whould they fit on a mondial qv thanks kev

8. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I think Avon do a replacement TRX tyre but I am not sure. It's been a long time since I had the original wheels/tyren on the 308. I changed them for 16 inch rims and tyres from QV. they look arxactly the same and the whole lot cost me about £1000. If you want some advice give Mike a call 01344-62201, he is very helpful.

9. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    i would suggest popping these details onto the "Technical Q & A" thread, above

10. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    To the best of my knowledge, 348,355 and 360 wheels will fit the mondial.
    Getting TRX240's at a resonable price is like finding hens teeth. I have gone for a set of Dunlops, 220's. Avon did a tyre but I suspect they have discontinued it.
    Just as an aside, you can get hold of loads of 220 part worn as they were fitted to jags and Bmers.
    I did consider using Technic tyres at one time. A UK remould, I know the company and the compounds they use, there boss uses these tyres on his Aston !
    I am sure I heard that Longstone tyres own the mould for the TRX tyre somewhere !

11. 3rdlight

3rdlight Rookie

Mar 7, 2004
    Gwent, UK
    Thanks everyone for your ideas and pointers, it's given me plenty to go away and investigate.

I'll report back once I've sorted something out. Hopefully may help someone else in the same situation in the future.

Regards,

Jon

12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
  13. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    I did actually wonder how easy it is to get replacement tyres for older Ferraris. Friend of mine has a 512BB and those tyres look like donuts! I did wonder where he'd source replacements

14. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

according to the latest Ferrari News Longstone 01302 711 123 have Michelin XWX TRX and Pilot Sport. What the prices are I dont know but alternatives have been well researched across the pond, I've seen lots of threads over the past year.

15. 3rdlight

3rdlight Rookie

Mar 7, 2004
    Gwent, UK
    Cheers to everyone that has posted links and given advice. I have just discovered the Technical Q+A threads have bucketloads of info in them about TRX's and other wheels to fit the Mondial QV. When I did my initial search I must have limited it to the UK forum and that's why I didn't get many results.

It's also given me a lot of help and ideas about why the darn car is refusing to start now! It's turning over, there's spark, there's fuel, but is it firing? No chance..

Typical, it runs fine on the few nice Winter days we've had, yet decides to go belly-up on me now Spring's arrived.....

Lucky for me I was at my dad's house when it decided to play silly games so if I can't fix it I'll call those friendly breakdown people that are included in my insurance :)

Cheers, Jon

16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Me too when I bought it end of last summer. Thread on here somewhere under technical Q&A I think. Thought it was fuel pump, turned out to be the notorious fuse box. A fuse carrier for fuel pump gets hot under load. I had it fixed and hoping it does not return.

Good luck with the Mondial.

17. 3rdlight

3rdlight Rookie

Mar 7, 2004
    Gwent, UK
    Cheers Malc, I had a similar problem last year that ultimately involved a flatbed truck, 4 mechanics and almost a whole day in the shop until it turned out to be that darn fusebox..

They fixed it, told me it was just a fusebox issue and didn't charge me a bean because they said they should have spotted it at location and not had to take the car away. I think they were more embarrassed than anything else!

Anyway, this time I checked the fuses and they are all ok. However, after reading your thread from last year I see that it's more complicated than simply changing a fuse.

I'm going to print off the entire thread and give it to the Mech that comes to have a look at it on the weekend! Fingers crossed it will give them a headstart. Many thanks, and I'll let you know what happens :)

18. goldenwheels

goldenwheels Rookie

Mar 14, 2005
    planet zog oxon
    Full Name:
    ralph palmer
    I had this issue and the way I got round it was to have a switch fitted in the car so if it failed I would switch to live feed on my feul pump.Its worked great for eight years now.
    what it is the 2 brown wires going into the fuze box with the main block connecter get very hot and come out so I used a match stick to hold them in before I got the switch made up.hope this helps.

19. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    got all the way to Le Mans last year, stopped to fill up and....nothing! fortunately had Phil Staffords number on me and he said straight away, fuse box and fuel relay. swapped for one of the others and no problem. Italian electrics.........

20. mario308

mario308 Karting

May 15, 2001
    UK
    I have 4 Original Mondial QV wheels fitted with TRX tyres 240/55 VR390. Wheels and tyres in good condition between 3 and 6 mm tread left on the tyres.

pm me for more details.

Cheers,

Mario.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There ya go! We have a Longstone rep of our very own now.......

22. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #22 Longstone Tyres, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I would recomend checking the date code of those tyres. I don't like to be a kill joy but when they are 10 years old they are not working the way they should.

There are new Michelin TRX Tyres available.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxNs4JjgHIQ&list=TLQa22EGeADS8]Michelin TRX - YouTube[/ame]