348 Clutch/Flywheel Complete | FerrariChat

348 Clutch/Flywheel Complete

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Animate, Apr 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    #1 Animate, Apr 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got the regreased flywheel and new clutch back in the car a few days back. Everything seems to be working great. The job would've been a lot tougher without the help I received here on f-chat... Thanks!

There are lots of pics on this site documenting the flywheel rebuild already, but here's a couple more that may be useful for others contemplating the procedure.

James
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Awesome!

That "exploded" view picture is great.

3. fmomen

fmomen Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    india
    Full Name:
    faisal
    Hi James, I am in the situation of a leaking slave cyl. I have just asked FNA to send me the seals for this. I hope there are no surprises. Any thing I should be warned of.

4. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Sorry fmomen: I didn't do my slave cylinder....just the clutch & flywheel. There was no sign of leaking on my car. Maybe Vincent or someone else can comment...

5. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    The slave cylinder is easy to get to if/when the seals fail in the future. As someone said before "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Great job, and very nice exploded view by the way.

6. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I have been told that the O-ring that seals the flywheel is no longer available. Did you have trouble sourcing an o-ring to complete the job?

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

You can make your own if need be using an o-ring kit from any parts house.

8. fmomen

fmomen Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    india
    Full Name:
    faisal
    No issues getting the o rings. jack russel racing has all the parts. I think he quoted $35 for all 3.

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    lou,

were you asking about the big oring around the outside of the fw?

10. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    fmomen, your private email box is full...

11. SpannerMan

SpannerMan Karting

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Erik Rathmann
    I didn't see the big o ring or the twelve small o rings in the exploded view. Hope you got them in there....or grease wil puke out all over. Puking grease is bad

There are 3 teflon rings that seal the inner shaft plus one o ring. if they go bad, gear oil leaks into the flywheel. Gear oil in the flywheel is bad.

fmomen- if you have the updated slave cylinder, no suprises, just remove and replace. If not, I think you have to replace the throw out bearing too. (in other words, update it.) the old ones are steel, new ones are pretty aluminium or something. Aluminum is good.

Happy turkey day.

12. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Where is this o-ring, is it the big one by the big gear assembly on the shaft? I've got my flywheel/clutch assy out right now looking for the reason for the shaft seal leak. The oil was getting by the three teflon (or nylon?) bushings, and into the flywheel after a recent rebuild. We're not sure why the gear oil is getting by the bushings. The Ferrari shop in Dallas is looking at it right now.

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#13 Ricambi America, Nov 24, 2005
  14. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    i agree

15. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #15 ronr, Nov 24, 2005
    That's the o-ring I was thinking of. Mine looks very good, so I don't think that is causing my shaft seal leak. Don't know why it's getting past those three bushings. Doesn't seem to be anything else in line preventing it from getting to them.

The gear oil was definitely getting past the bushings, diluting my flywheel grease, and causing the grease to sling out everywhere.

16. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Those three seals around the output shaft are often the culprit. Changing those should resolve your problem.

17. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I hope that's all there is to it, but it only has 3000-4000 miles since it was all rebuilt, and those seals were done by professionals. We were also considering a reaction of the bushings with the gear oil. I think it is Shell Helix, I wouldn't really expect that to be a problem though.

18. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

I had the same problem when I had my 348 and it took my mechanic a second time to get it right. Those seals are kind of pesky. There is some good information on here about how to get them on properly without screwing them up. In fact I believe there is a special tool from Ferrari for them. Though most here seem to warm them up in hot water before putting the on.

19. SpannerMan

SpannerMan Karting

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Erik Rathmann
    yessir turkey n stuffing.

Those are the teflon bushings. somehow I remembered a similar sized o ring on that same shaft, but I don't see it on that pic. Perhaps I am wrong.

We made a tool for them, essentially an aluminum dowel machined with a taper to allow the rings to stretch over the splines. We found that replacing them one at a time, last one first, helps to prevent knicking and such.

uh he he uh shut up beavis.....
    E

20. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I disagree with all the experts who have not studied the Voith damper like I have. The reason the triple seals start leaking is that the shafts start moving relative to each other and this compresses the teflon. The reason the shafts start moving is that the medium sized teflon thrust washer inside the damper shell gets worn. Once the thrust washer is worn, it no longer solidly locates the drive plate's bearing in the shells hub, and that plate has the bearings in which the ends of the shafts ride. Not located solidly = movement.

The answer? A new thrust washer that solidly locates the drive plate's bearing, and two special tiny viton o-rings under one of the triple seals to keep it sealing over time.

In a month or so I will be selling both these items.

See this thread for further details including how to test your thrush washer. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240176