Need ideas of where to buy a Sidewinder Missile.... | FerrariChat

Need ideas of where to buy a Sidewinder Missile....

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Mike360, Apr 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know, i know, weird topic... :)

Here is the situation. Im planning to build a new room on our exisiting house, the new room will have a bar/pool table/pinball machine etc...
    Sort of like a Rumpus room where the boys can hang out.
    I saw a picture ages ago on the net, where it had a guys bar in his house where he had a "Bored out AIM-9L Sidewinder Missile" on display above his bar. It had no engine/warhead, but boy did it look awesome!! It was intact, and was actually the real thing! It aparently passed by it's "Use Buy date" or something like that. Anyways, it looked awesome.

Is there anyway i could obtain such an item? I could either go Ex-Military, or i could try and find a "Movie Prop" from a film or something.....

I have combed the net to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers
    -Mike

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Let me see in to Mike's future ...

Mike hears knocking on his front door ... he's on his way to the door when BASH!!!, down it falls and ... in run the anti-terrorisim squad trigger fingers twitching ...

Gee Mike surely making a replica would be easier and fncked if I'd want to import something like this into Australia at the moment ... talk about setting of alarm bells ... if you've got a middle eastern background you would be getting a visit before you could say 'unfair harrassment'

Best and all ... but with the rediculousness of this concept of anti-terrorisim at the moment (ie. swings crazily boths ways, etc.), I'd just stick with the surfboard decoration like the rest of us Aussies ;) :D

Pete

3. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I have seen decommissioned dumb bombs before. If I were you I would contact Army surplus stores. We have those all around here in Texas.
    Good Luck, It would be a great conversation piece.

4. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pete...
    Im as aussie as a meat pie! So no threats there!! I just wanna load it on the roof of my car and drive around, imagine the looks! And then maybe park it in the Airport Carpark?? lol!

No seriously, i might have to get a replica made, but i would love to have the "Real Thing" hanging there.

And as Texasmike said, it would make an awesome conversation piece.

Im thinking maybe the movie prop way. I know a guy that has quite a few movie props, and he has quite a few guns. He has one of the guns used in Judge Dredd, and that looks quite convincing, even though, his version is non working...
    So a missile is not out of the question IMO...

I could try surplus places, but isnt all the good stuff taken by musuems, servicemen etc...???

5. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #5 Sfumato, Apr 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hehe, Max will know! :D

Seriously though, i dont understand whats funny about that pic. I received 3 of those on my bucks night....:) Honestly.

Surely you have them over there right?

7. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 Mike360, Apr 14, 2005
  8. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C

No, you might be suprised. Just because they don't have it in stock doesn't mean they can't get it . It might cost alot, and most of those guys would rather have, lets say a 50 caliber BMG. Call around and ask. Make sure you use the word "decommissioned" or something like that.
    Here in Austin I have seen a guy driving around town in a old WWII Jeep with a 50 Caliber BMG mounted on the back.

9. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Surplus item were funded buy tax payers so I think that they have to offer it to sell to the general public. All of the legal stuff at least. There is even a program where you can buy surplus guns directly from the government.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You can buy one in France. They'll sell anything to anyone.

11. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C

LOL

12. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That i think is the one thing that will stop me getting from the US, not being a citizen and all....:(

13. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Once the surpus store owner buys it he can sell it to who ever he wants. Without the guts it's not a weapon. I don't know anything about international shipping laws. I will try to talk to some store owners for you.

14. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #14 frefan, Apr 15, 2005
  15. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #17 MarkPDX, Apr 15, 2005
    Find a woodworking shop to make one for you..... It would be extremely easy to make the body on a lathe. For the fins would also be very easy to make w/ basic woodworking tools like a bandsaw and a belt sander to shape them correctly.

Dimensional info and pics available here:

AIM-9 Sidewinder
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The U.S. Guv has auctions with demilled weapons. I think it is under DRMO.

I agree with Darth, give the French a call.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Who is a big fan of the Discovery show Wing Nuts like I am!?! The company is called Moto Art and although I haven't seen sidewinders, taking demilled stuff and making useful art out of them is their business. Great show and cool stuff!

http://www.motoart.com/

19. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    Completely wrong!
    Only if it's made in France and only if the profit's right!

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Did they ever say why that angry guy died (he was about 40 I think)? I like their stuff, but they always seem pressed for time and yelling at each other.

Mike, you can find a lot of things at gov surplus auctions. You might be lucky and find a jet fighter fueslage for a few thousand bucks.

Here's the GSA website. There's a Grumman Gulfstream GI for sale for $5k right now. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/services/site/premium/access-registered.intercept

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I looked and looked, but never found anything. Discovery has their own message board, maybe someone can find something.

22. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

HOLY SHEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I HAVE A FFL TOO!!!!! AND A government clearance!!!! :)

with the strict anti gun laws in Australia, i would think it would be hard to get any missile, dead or not, into civilian hands. i could be wrong though. :)

23. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

hell i have a WHOLE Gulfstream GII sitting on the ramp that is dead now from neglect and corrosion issues..... the company bought it to chop up for parts and spares..... my favorite past time!

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    If you don't mind saying, how much did it sell for?

I posted the wrong link, here's the GSA site: http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/