How strong is the flat-twelve | FerrariChat

How strong is the flat-twelve

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by prancing_pony, Apr 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    Anyone know what the weak points if any there are with the flat-twelve?

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    sucking an 8 cylinder car in the air filter when you pass it

3. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    The main reason behind the post was I enjoy using the performance of the car to the full i.e full bore runs through 1st into 2nd and on to the 3rd but concerned that taking it to the redline might not be a good idea

I assume that since the engine has been around since the year dot it must be pretty well proven and strong

4. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Which you can't do very often, 'cos you invariably run out of fuel before you reach overtaking speed!
    And anyway how can you comment? Your air filter is currently a good few feet away from the engine bay!:D

5. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    That happened to me. Which allowed me to do a close up inspection of the innards of Steve's flat 12 while awaiting extraction. Guys I hate to tell you... its a timebomb waiting to go off. Four of SteveF's cylinders were not fireing.....hold on, that made it an 8 cylinder.

6. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    That would make it a flat 8 when you saw it!
    Currently it's a flat out!:D

7. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    I recall recently reading about a parts availability problem with replacement fuel lines.

James

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    ferrari has had fuel pipe problems since mondials where new with the alloy nuts cracking the fuel pipe ends used to be alloy then they changed them but still use alloy nuts to this day and have problems ferrari's intelligance techs replace faulty alloy fuel pipes with new alloy fuel pipes some people dont learn

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I know how strong the flat 12 is first hand. A few years ago i had a Testarossa and the rev limiter was broken. It belonged to my boss befor i had it of him.
    Any way i posted the results of what the 12 could do with out the rev counter working. I just thought some may be interested, as some were. GOD! did i get alot of stick from alot of the Wankers on the site, moaning about this,that and the bloody usual.
    Any way with the rev counter broke these were my figures, 1st gear=80ish, 2nd gear=120ish, 3rd gear=145ish, you get the picture. And the rev counter was at 9000rpm and nearly 10,000rpm in all gears but 5th.If my memory serves me well on the above figures.
    There was the so called experts that claimed i was lying becourse the flat12 spec this and the flat 12 tec that (smart arses), so ...i posted pics of the clocks as i did it. You can only imagine the stick i got from the F.chat tossers.
    So you may or may not find my findings helpfull in your quest on the strenth of the Flat12.
    Any way the car was sold nearly two years ago, and its still going strong with the new owner who i am still in contact with.And he has left the broken limiter as it is.
    Oh and the nit pickers will insist on calling it a V12 as opposed to a Flat 12, i had a big lecture from some tosser called wazza i think it was.

10. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    You tell them chaa

11. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I'm still learning to know the car as just picked up 512TR last week with tubi.
    Awesome.

12. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Is that to add to the 328, or have you sold it and upgraded? There can't be too that many Ferraris in Thailand!!! See many other people with em?

13. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    No M8 still have the 328GTS as it is my dream car but I must say 512TR is breathtaking. There are actually about 300 Ferraris here but only 9 328s and 9 512TRs.

14. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Ok as this thread is a bit of a 'big up' for the TR the question is should I swap our 328 GTS for a TR?

It's been at the back of my mind for weeks. The potential running costs are the only thing making me hesitate.

Well would you?

15. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

that would only benefit it by bringing the car up to date

16. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village