Drove a 360 Modena...I am now a babbling fool... | FerrariChat

Drove a 360 Modena...I am now a babbling fool...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Meeyatch1, Apr 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Today was a good day. Okay...actually, today was a GREAT DAY!! I am just now beginning to regain the ability to speak in complete and coherent sentences, and I do believe that the drool has stopped falling from my lower lip...but I am not sure because I am numb. You see, today I was handed the keys to a beautiful red Ferrari 360 Modena with the 6-speed manual gearbox. The amazingly generous owner of the car set me loose on the highways and backroads of Michigan with a hearty, '...have fun,' and some quick instructions on how to work certain things (like the really odd alarm system). To say that the car takes your breath away would be a gross understatement. This car is the automotive equivalent of being injected with a shot of adrenaline and being forcefed Red Bull, all while listening to a symphony orchestra!! The first thing I did before even leaving the parking lot was turn OFF the radio, and put the windows down. I had to hear that wonderful Tubi Style exhaust singing behind me. :)

The majority of my drive I spent tooling around at the speed limit (hey, it is not my car...so I showed it the respect as such) and it struck me how drivable this car is. I have driven other Ferrari's and some Lamborghini's and other stuff, but this could be an 'everyday Ferrari'. The other great thing is that when you do want to give it some gas, the 360 responds like you just lit a solid fuel rocket booster and painted it red. WOW!! This car MOVES!! The whole drive I never went over 75 mph (not my car, remember), but getting there was a treat. Everything on this car screamed, 'Look at me...I am Italian, and damn I look good,' and I liked it. The interior was covered in carbon fiber and leather and it was almost hypnotic to look at. The engine compartment.....come on, if you do not drop your jaw looking at that motor you have a serious problem. The outside of the car had me smiling like an idiot (which still has not worn off even 4 hours later). All in all I think it is safe to say I am hooked. I have been considering a Ferrari 355 GTB for a while, and driving this 360 Modena has me thinking that the Ferrari is a car I really need soon. Now...if I can just stop this drooling long enough to be normal again..... ;)

2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Typical Ferrari: Georgous, fast, and easy to drive. Not typical Ferrari: easy to handle in traffic, reliable, very "Japanese" in its reliability. I don't know how good the 430 is going to be, but the 360 is one great car. Can use it as an everyday driver, and I've done just that on occassion.

Art

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great story.

4. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    I understand how you feel! Great read nonetheless...

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Mitch, its too late now. You now have an incurable fever that will only abate with the wail of the beast.

6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

Another one goes down..

7. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    Currently shopping for 01- 03 modena. Never driven one though. How does it compare to a 996 TT? What I've heard is that it is slower, quite a bit actually but has more torque and of course no turbo laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. Kinda hesitant to take a step down in performance (plus the TT is such an admirable daily driver) but it is just a gorgeous car (the modena). Am I in for a treat or .........?
    PS I already made up my mind about getting it!

8. zorzos

zorzos Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Greece
    Now is no way back.......

9. Modena Scotland

Modena Scotland Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Scotland, UK
    Full Name:
    Mass
    Life is too short, don't wait any longer. Get an F-car now to enjoy!

10. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I might be trading my 01 360 six speed red/tan (on a Murciealigo) 7300 rain free miles with invisishield on the front bumper and leading edge of the mirrors. All service records.

11. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Everybody keeps saying 430 430 430.

What they don't realize is just how perfect the 360 is and has been.

You can't really improve much on the 360. Sure, you can put 1,000 horsepower in the car, as you can in any car. But the 360 is so close to perfection that now we are now at the point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in...

12. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Charlie, you don't have any info in your profile, so I have no idea where you live, but if its N. CAlif, I would be happy to let you drive me car so you can see for yourself. One of my neighbors with a 996 was over ogling the fcar yesterday. Its beauty was not lost on him, he really fell for it.

13. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The performance of the 996TT and 360 are comparable. What is not is the sedate ride of the TT (AWD) and lack of sensory input. The TT is a good solid shoe to walk and run in but lacks character/excitement while doing so.

Also, since it looks like almost all other Porsche's, its visual appeal is humdrum. :)

14. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    The 996TT will easily outperform a 360. As far as looks, at least the TT is clearly identifiable as a Porsche. Unlike the 360 which is commonly mistaken for a Mustang and the 430 which will commonly be mistaken for a kit car!

But I would still pick the 360 over the TT. Why? RWD, less mass and NA make it more fun to drive, especially with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

15. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    anyone who would mistake the 360 for a mustang and the 430 for a kit car is either 1] brain dead or 2]blind , ...and the tt looks like a 996, which looks like a boxster, which looks like a 997, which looks like a 993, and so on....

16. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    What the heck are you smoking?? When I was driving the 360 yesterday I do not think ANY of the people that saw me mistakenly thought it was a Mustang. The wide-eyed stares and people swerving because they were staring at the Ferrari were pretty darn sure it was something special. Come to think of it, one of those people was driving a Mustang. :D

17. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I've owned a 360 for several years and, as hard as it might be for you to believe this now, I have been asked the "is that the new Mustang?" question several times! And they were dead serious. And this is in Ferrari-rich So Cal! As someone pointed out in another thread, if this bothers 360 owners, they bought their Ferrari for the wrong reason.

I have a feeling you're going to enjoy your own 6-speed 360 sooner rather than later and you'll find out for yourself! Happy hunting. :)

btw, I don't smoke.

18. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Why would I or anyone else care about some hapless fool who mistakes a 360 or 430 for a Mustang? In fact, it would give me a good laugh.
    I saw a 996 TT today and I thought, "How handsome, clean and robust a line it has." Then I thought about how tame it looks next to a 360, and even a 355. Porsche's are handsome, and with the AWD, turbos and superb engineering, they are great performers. But very, very few cars can claim to be as exhilirating to drive as they are to behold. And other than a few Lambos and the Carrera GT, all of these cars begin with the letter F and end with letter I. (Excluding the Maserati Quattroporte or Gransport, of course. ;))

Forza,

Cavallini

19. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson

River, thank you so much for you very generous offer. I would take you up on it in a heartbeat if I was closer. Unfortunately I live in Socal. I do however have couple of friends with
    F-cars (360 Novitech and 355). They'd let me test drive theirs but we're all busy people so just haven't gotten around to it.
    Cheers!

20. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    Humdrum??? Lol I'm so insulted (not really =) )
    I'd say the TT is one of the better looking cars out there. Its actually the best I've ever owned, both in terms of looks as well as performance. However, the modena does look better doesn't it? Would like to keep both but it looks like the TT wont hold value so it has to go. Maybe I'll pick up a 993 TT instead. I think that car looks better and it might actually become a classic.

21. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    Hey Scotland, God knows I'm aching to get my first ferrari but it seems like titanium on black, f1, scuderia shields, and preferably front and rear challenge grills is a rare combo. So many with bordeaux or blue interior which I don't like. If it has black interior the shields are missing and so on..........
    Seems there are a few 04's in that combo but then the price is around 185 K USD which is close to the cs price. So I think an 01 to 02 is what I'm looking for. The search goes on.

22. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    After so much research and soooooooo much help from many of you in this group, I have greatly narrowed down the body style, color, and options for my 360. HOWEVER...this past week, while checking out an NC dealer that someone here posted about, I came across two 2005 Lambos...one Murcie and one Gallardo...both in Metis Red/Ivory (the sister color to Fiorano Red).

I know very little about the Lambo (aside from the very limited number of dealers and servicing across the USA). The Murcie blew my mind away. Oh, it didn't take away from the 360, just a different kind of experience.

Knowing that several of you here are/were Murcie owners, please tell me if I would be getting a car that is only different in price and lack of visibility to back it up (and V-12), or is there really something there for the difference between $230k and $300k???

I don't want to be so extravagant as to buy both and I had really studied the 360 in depth. Would just like to hear something from those of you that do or have owned both. "Opinions from experience" mean a lot at this level...at least to me.

Oh...the Murcie was NOT the roadster, but had all the options on it...special high polish wheels and all the interior goodies...listed for about $300,600.

Any .02 cents or two bits worth would be appreciated. Trash me if you want, but I believe a person can always learn something by asking for info.

Thanks...

Mike in NC