Modified Maserati Coupes and Spyders? | FerrariChat

Modified Maserati Coupes and Spyders?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by SROC4, Apr 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Anyone modify their coupes or spyders? Please post pics. I'm interested to see how these cars look modified.

Thanks,

Alex

2. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    nothin yet, but a gransport replica kit is on the way. dealer said 10-12 weeks in march. i did a pretty exhaustive search and couldnt turn up much. other than new rims

3. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    #3 sunburn, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    #4 sunburn, Apr 13, 2005
  5. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    thanks for the pics! Can you tell me the details of your setup? suspension?

6. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    Looks Sharp !!!

Any chance of Posting an Audio File ?
    Would luv to hear your Maser, as would others.

7. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Rick,

Any drawbacks to lowering your Spyder? I've been thinking about doing the same, but am worried about tire clearance, rough ride, etc.

8. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Alex -
    Here's the write-up I posted on Maseratiforum.net.

Lowering the coupe or the spyder (Sky Hook)
    It's really a very easy job because of the Sky Hook suspension.
    Buy a set of spring compressors (belt type is MUCH easier). Jack the car up and put it on jack stands.
    There is a big (3")spanner nut (on the bottom of the lower shock collar, tap it counterclockwise to loosen it.
    Screw it down until you have the desired distance between the collar (the one holding the spring) and the lower nut. I uscrewed mine until I had 1" between the two.
    Now, compress the spring to take pressure off the threaded spring collar.
    The collar is now ready to be turned counter clockwise until it touches the lower nut which is already in the desired position.
    Make sure the rubber spring mounting guides are flush around the top and the bottom of the spring and make even contact with the top and bottom spring collars. Now slowley release the spring until it's seated on the upper and the lower collar.
    Tighten the bottom spanner locking nut by turning or tapping it clockwise against the lower shock collar.
    Now, only three more wheels to go! It only took me 3 hrs in my garage last weekend. After I finished I took the car to be aligned to be on the safe side. It did need a little touch up but I don't know if that was because of the lowering or not.
    I've also built a custom exhaust that replaces the resonators and it sounds great. I'll post a wav file when I get a chance.
    If you have any Qs PM me, be glad to help.

Rick . . . .

9. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I'll give it a try this weekend.

10. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Brad,
    Clearence does not seem to be a problem. Lowering the spring cups 1" lowers the car about 3/4". The actual ride gets softer because contrary to what you would think, you are taking pressure OFF the springs. The only drawback I've experienced (very rarely) has been bottoming out the front suspension because of the reduced spring pressure.

Rick . . . .

11. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    What is a GS replica kit? I know you can now order a Coupe with some of the items that made a GS so special but that is about it. Maybe that's what your dealer was trying to explain?

12. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Beautiful! I love the color and all the mods.

13. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    as i undestand it, it is basically the front/rear bumpers, and side skirts along w. the carbon fibre lip.... he said that a few were coming in and then we could decide if we wanted it... not sure tho, car belongs to my dad, will check with him when i can

14. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Saw a black on black Spyder w/ black HRE wheels w/ chrome lips in Miami a couple weeks ago-- absolutely sick !

15. iufan993

iufan993 Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    #15 iufan993, Apr 14, 2005
  16. CarrozzeriaDesign

Jun 23, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #16 CarrozzeriaDesign, Apr 15, 2005
  17. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for all the response! Keep it coming!

18. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    #18 jack, Apr 15, 2005
  19. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    very nice!

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Have any of one tried to reprogram your ECU with these folks?

http://www.eurotekdesigns.com/

My 2004 Spyder has an annoying hiccup right at 2,500 to 3,000 rpm. MNA knows about it, but apparently doesn't want to do anything because they will have to get the car recertified.

Your thoughts?

Dale

21. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I have also been debating about doing this , Have considered either going with Eurotek or Powerchip. Here is a post from someone on the Maserati forum that makes the Eurotek sound like a good choice

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:18 pm Post subject: ECU Performance Upgrade, EuroTekDesigns, 2003 Spyder Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. I have a 2003 Cambio Spyder. I have heard of these guys for years Tuning other marques and saw there advertisement in FORZA.

I am located in New York and have contacted them about this upgrade. I was a bit skeptical at first since ECU tuning is not that easy for just anyone to do. I had some Porsche Nightmares.

The owner sent me over a few references before I went with it I felt much more comfortable, I really didn't have much to loose since I paid via American Express.

There service was very exclusive, we made arrangements to have this done on my premise on a Saturday. This made me very comfortable and I can tell you they are real professionals that they went to this extent to make me assured. I was worried if something went wrong, my dealer would cause problems and I am not very handy and did not want to strip the car apart to remove it myself.

The owner arrived with one of his engineers with very elaborate equipment. It took a few hours to do the full program and I observed the complexity of this upgrade. They plugged in a special PC into the OEM harness and went through several programming steps for different computer maps.

Shortly the engineer a Native of Germany it seemed performed a full system check and then a final road test.

The Results: AMAZING, the car does not hesitate to start in the morning and now NY is getting colder. The car has enormous Torque that I can smoke the tires up to 3rd Gear.

I have emailed one of there clients who has a 2002 and he tested his car and got a 0-60 in 4.2, and after driving the car for 4800 miles prior I will accept this accuracy.

I give these guys Compliments for there outstanding work, it was the best $2,000 I spent on a single upgrade, my Tubi sounds nice but did not give me the juice this upgrade did.

Good Luck and just ask them as many questions as you like they really had a lot of patience with me via email. There Electronic Engineer works with the top tuners in Europe after seeing his credentials at my home so these guys wont botch up your car.

N. Zallo

22. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I've been talking to the guys at Eurotek and can't find a downside. I told them I was going to have my car dyno'd and then send in my ECU for a re-program. If my result percentages aren't as advertised they will re-load my old program and refund my money (minus shipping). They are very confident.
    The 35 extra HP is not bad but the 70 lb/ft of torque . . . wow.

23. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    That sounds as Sweet as a 355 with Tubi !!!

Rick & Scott : do your Spyders sound similar ???

If so, Congrats.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Will you let us know if you do this?

Thx, Dale

25. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    #25 sunburn, Apr 16, 2005
    Absolutely! I recorded this today in the driveway. Didn't have anyone around to record while I drove the car. Everyone who hears it say it sounds fantastic.
    Oh, and it only cost me $500. That leaves me $2000 to get my ECU re-mapped.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login