Speed detectors | FerrariChat

Speed detectors

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CharlieUK, Sep 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I am looking to buy a speed detector for my 355 (and other car) and wondered what others have/ recommend. What I have come across are Road Angel (new smaller one), Snooper S4 and Road Pilot. What's the verdict?

Cheers.

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    My research narrowed units down to Road Angel 2 and Origin B2. In the end i chose RA2 as the unit is self contained with everything built in, inc front & rear laser detectors.That said , it took me a while to find the right spot to postion unit so that it updated quickly. I found the perfect spot to be tucked up to the windscreen on right of driver , over from speedo .

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28466&highlight=road+angel

3. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Charlie

I use a Bel 550 - catches gatsos and temporary tripod cameras with enough range to let you slow down. Does have Laser detection as well but my understanding is that if that goes off its too late anyway!

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I think there has been a lot on this before. I have a NEO S4 which is portable, upgradable from the PC and has saved me at least nine points!

5. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I'm with Tony on this one - just bought the Road Angel II and am impressed so far, cost me £400 from Halfords (local) but have seen them for £350 on ebay now.

Rick

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  7. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    I run a new Road Angel mounted on the top of the dash, and a Valentine 1 half way up the screen which catches new cameras, mobile units, mini gatso's etc which the Road Angel doesn't know about.

I've been 'targeted' several times by mobile units, and the V1 detects the signal before the Road Angel as it's mounted higher.

Both of these units have both front and rear protection and the only thing I'm missing now is front and rear 'garage door openers' ;)

I got an adaptor from Halfords which plugs into the cigar lighter which has four 'outlets' on it which sits under the seat so there's no problem with plugging multiple units into the power supply, and it's completely portable from car to car.

Hope you're enjoying that car! Have you tried squirting that bit with oil to make the throttle smoother?

8. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Heard a story of someone getting arrested for using one of those garage door openers ..... perverting the course of justice allegedly.

Rick

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I thought Road Angel 2 detects everything the Valentine does and more??

http://www.blackspot.com/

10. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    The Road Angel is a GPS based device so other than lasers, it can only pick up fixed camera locations that are in it's database.

The V1 on the other hand can only pick up lasers and cams that emit a signal such as a Gatso, but can't pick up SPECS systems for example that don't emit anything.

New cameras are popping up all the time and mobile gatso's are becoming more common, so you need something like the V1 which can detect the signals that the Gatsos emit which is something the Road Angel can't do as it relies on a database that gets updated occasionally, so you really need both types to be safe.

Near where I live there's a Gatso that the Road Angel detects as it's in the RA database, but the V1 dosent detect it at all which means that it's not active.

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Justin,
    sorry to labour the point but are you you talking about Road Angel or Road Angel 2 here??
    According to the Blackspot website, RA2 " has powerful F and R laser detection devices which will detect mobile laser traps" It will also detect all safety cameras , mobile laser guns and mobile roadwork cameras, temp Gatso and Truvelo.

12. basher

basher Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Full Name:
    Fraser B
    Got an origin b2 in mine....wit laser detector jammer and satellite reciever...just prefered the size of it to all the others has all the functions including voice mode adn is small and removable with no hassle ...just want to get it hard woired to the battery now so i cna use the cigarette lighter for my ipod setup.....

and it was 350 squid

13. 355BOY

355BOY Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    the North
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Justin

Road Angel 2 is one of the most advanced systems on the market, it's all you need.

Check out the link tony has provided.

Mark

14. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Has anyone used their Road Angel 2 or Origin B2 to power their GPS system - you can take a mapping feed from them to your Palm/Laptop ?

Rick

15. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Justin, It sounds like we only need the Valentine 1, as it is better than new RA? Why not buy just the Valentine 1?

16. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Justin, what do u mean by "the only thing I'm missing now is front and rear 'garage door openers'" ?????

Is Valentine 1 a GPS based system or a laser defuser/ jammer?
    Where can I buy and what cost of V1?

Throttle I think was better(?) for a while, but not really. I think that it is actually a fuel injection problem, as the accelerator is perfectly smooth if I push it with my hand, it is really a loss of power issue when you first push the accelerator with foot when driving, which makes the car jerk when you first depress the accelerator. Happens when both repush accelerator with out changing gear and when change gear. I now try and push the accelerator really gently, which really defeats the whole object and makes my ankle/ foot tired/ strain, so any more ideas hugely appreciated.

17. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Do you ever actually read any of the answers to your own questions or do any reasearch yourself? All i've ever seen you do is ask other people to do the leg work for you and what's the obsession about cost of everything ? You own a Ferrari, don't you?
    Here's some more research i've done for you about Valentine and RA2.Do us a favour and read it before asking more dumb questions.

http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/police_speedtraps.asp

18. 355F1UK

355F1UK Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    Royal Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Basher,

I have just brought an Origin B2 solo and was wondering where you have sited the laser detector ?. I am having trouble siting it and also how do you know thats its position is correct without finding laser to test it with !! :)

19. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

tony the ra2 dont detct radar, laser detection is a complete waste of time cos you have about 1/2 sec warning to slow before being nicked

20. wobbler

wobbler Karting

Mar 14, 2005
    Reading
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I've got an Origin B2, mounted the laser unit behind the rear mirror, so it's not that visable. The advantage of the b2 is that you can add on the extra's like radar and jammer. One of the reason it works for me is that its v. neat and you can get a 2nd car kit for little cost.

21. peekay

peekay Rookie

Mar 10, 2005
    Beaconsfield,Bucks
    Full Name:
    Paul Khouri
    I was under the impression that the majority of the speed detectors were going to be made illegal, I know they have talked about it for a while and threatened it but by all accounts it seems inevitable that they will ultimately make it illegal to carry one of these in the car. Discussed issue with a freind at Car Radio shop and came to conclusin that Origin B2 is probably the way forward as it is so small it can fit in the ashtray or similar space and so can be easily hidden from view if needed. The others Snooper & RA2 are too big to be able to effectively conceal and use. It also means you don't have to have a big lumo of plastic screwed into your dash or rattling around on your windscreen.

22. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was under the impression that the bill in question was dropped a week or so ago.

http://www.pistonheads.com/speed/default.asp?storyId=10271

23. reflex

reflex Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Brighton U.K
    I've got a Road Angel. I thought it was the dogs bollocks, driving around with the thing for a few months. It seemed to pick up everything! I thought I was invincible, I was therefore less aware, less vidulent and hey presto I got done by a mobile gatso!!

5 points a £400 fine.

The road angel is now a cupbaord somewhere in my house.

Annoyingly I had an old snopper, which although highly annoying, would have picked up the gatso and saved me points, fines and increased insurance premiums.

The moral of the story.

Use your eyes and only speed where you know the roads!

24. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

and keep your snooper in the car.....switched on!

25. Welshman

Welshman Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Worcestershire
    Comments on another site indicate that the Origin B2's database is more reliable than that of the Road Angel - it is said that it is more regularly updated.

The Valentine V1 is rated as the best Laser Detector.