Why does Ferrari get forgiven for Plastic Interior parts in its late-model cars? | FerrariChat

Why does Ferrari get forgiven for Plastic Interior parts in its late-model cars?

Discussion in '360/430' started by kverges, Apr 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I have a 355 and Gallardo and respect much of the 360 and 430, but come on, the 360 has a plastic center console and map pockets and the 430! Ack!I was appalled to see that all of the ventilation surrounds contain a huge amount of silver-painted plastic. Neither my 355 nor G are like that. When I saw the 430 I was even more certain that the G was the right choice for me. Sure, it will depreciate like a stone, but since I drive it I'd like the veiw to not be blinded with silver-painted plastic.

The press loves to rip GM for plastic interiors and fawns over Ferrari interiors and while the 360 and 430 have many, many great attributes, it amazes me at the utter lack of objectivity about theri interiors.

Fire away, Stepferrari Wives!

2. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i never really looked at the interior of my f35, so wats the ventilation surround in it? not plastic?

3. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm not sure where you're getting your info but you're misinformed...

The 360's center console and side map pockets are aluminum. They're also painted an aluminum color which makes them look like plastic :)

I personally don't like the aluminum accents in the 360's interior. They clash with most interior colors, especially the classic tan. imo, the only interior color which is acceptable in a 360 is black or maybe navy, thanks to the obligatory aluminum look. I think the designer just got carried away with the hey-this-is-an-all-aluminum-sports-car theme.

Of course, the 430 comes with a carbon fiber interior option in addition to the aluminum. I don't care for that look either! :)

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    perhaps I am mistaken, but the look and feel was not aluminum to me, it was plastic, The Elise has real aluminum in its inerior and the look and feel of the 360 & 430 are totally different.

355 dash is all leather except for vents themselves and faceplates for instruments and climate controls.

Can someone confirm that the 360 & 430 parts are indeed aluminum stampings and I'll shut up.

5. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    The parts are made of aluminum, not plastic.

6. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Yes, the silver accents in the interior of the 360 are truly the expensive material...aluminum. Ferrari stated when the 360 came out in 1999 the car's body, frame and motor was made of aluminum and they wanted to bring that material into the interior of the car as well, there by highlighting Ferrari's technical accomplishment (though the NSX was doing it from 1990 ;) ). At time the interior was well recieved by the media as cutting edge and for most it still is.

Now, if you like, we all can get into a debate about the G's audi A4 and A6's interior parts bin application which has not been well recieved by the press and lambo owners accross the board ;)

All ribbing aside...congrats on the ownership of the Gallardo...IMO it is a wonderful car which I am sure most Ferrari owners respect :) Love to here some of your driving impressions of your car.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    And the CHEVY Corvette since 1984 (ALL aluminum suspension just like the 360)

8. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes but the Corvette and NSX lack character and soul and heritage and blah blah blah...

So it only becomes a stunning achievement when Ferrari does it. :)

9. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Corvettes have aluminum suspensions..but have steel frames...

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    early 360's had the interior pieces as raw, unpainted aluminum. it quickly became apparent that the aluminum was difficult to clean and attracted dirt into it's pores. the 360's aluminum interior pieces were then painted an aluminum color to help prevent the cleaning/dirtying issues.

however, the plastic parts in the car have a "soft-touch" rubber coating applied. this coating seems to deteriate very quickly, especially when exposed to heat. this can be seen in 348's on the interior door handles and worsens as newer models had more "soft touch" pieces.

how come ferrari still hasn't addressed or stop using this coating. my 04 360 has it as does my 05 maserati qp. you would think after ten years of problems it would have been addressed.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Umm so does the 360..

12. India Whiskey Charlie

India Whiskey Charlie Formula Junior

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    The 360 has an *all* aluminum alloy chassis and body.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  14. India Whiskey Charlie

India Whiskey Charlie Formula Junior

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    From Ferrari's web site:

Ferrari's latest interpretation of the V8 sports car, the 360 Modena is a clean-sheet design anticipating future trends in Ferrari road cars. These trends include weight reduction combined with greater chassis rigidity. The new approach employs technology based on the use of aluminum for the chassis, body shell, and suspension wishbones. The exclusive use of aluminum, a first for a Ferrari road car, has enabled Ferrari's engineers to reduce the 360 Modena's dry weight by 100 kg compared to the F355 despite rather more generous dimensions resulting in greater comfort and storage space. Performance has also improved across the board thanks to both a power:weight ratio 0.9lbs/bhp better than the car's predecessor, and the exceptional 3586cc 90° V8 engine providing 400bhp at 8500rpm and 275lb-ft at 4750rpm. The 360 Modena is the culmination of research and experimentation with the use of aluminum on everything from Formula 1 cars, to the 408 4RM prototype and the GT competition cars which were always fabricated in aluminum. The 360 Modena combines Ferrari heritage with innovation.

Aluminum responsible for improving the power to weight ratio byt 0.9lbs/bhp. As a result, the 360 Modena is 0.8 of a second faster at 22.9 seconds over a kilometre from a standing start and has also cut nearly 3 seconds off its predecessor's lap time at the Fiorano track. The transmission features a longitudinal gearbox that allows larger diffusers to be incorporated on the flat underside. The 6-speed gearbox is available as a manual or with the F1 electrohydraulic shift.