Thoughts on Porsche 968? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on Porsche 968?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by yoda, Apr 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I've looked around on some Porsche sites but would like some more unbiased opinions. Has anybody had much experience with these cars? Is one model year significantly different from another? The 3 liter four seems like a robust engine, but are they solid and reliable? I like the more modern look of the 968 coupe compared to the 944 and am considering one as a possible daily driver.

2. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I'd imagine a good service record would be important in purchasing a 968.

I'd say if you like the looks...It would be the best of the 924/944/944 turbo/968 line....

I'd say its a fine sports car and would make a great daily driver..

Although for some reason? I'd probably go for a 944 Turbo...

but looks are a personal choice so good luck....and I think its a smart move...

Just be aware parts can of course be very expensive...(which is why the pricing on these nice well built cars can be quite low)

One good thing is that Porsche owners are often quite fanatical so I'd look closely at the owner as at the car....and without a doubt...I'd have spend the few dollars to have a Porsche tech check the car out.

Good luck and smart move.

3. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I have never owned one but I have driven several and 944 too. The 968 is the best handling and best built of all, an ideal daily car, good engine with strong performance delivered in a linear fashion, but its the 944 turbo which has the shove, and is the most fun.
    Also for the same money as a late 968 you could buy a 928GT or early GTS, Ive owned three of them, IMO the best used buy of the lot, serious grunt, lovely shape, and a good one is reliable.
    Steve

4. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    I have to agree with Steve. I have owned a couple of P-cars now, and I have to tell you, more often than not you can find a good deal on a later model 928 (Read 1987 on) for similar money as a 968.

I have close friends with each, and have traded with them on a few occasions. IMHO, the 928 is a better car for the $$$. A REALLY nice one can be had for around 20k - similar in price mind you to a nice '93 or '94 968, however, you are getting a car that stickered at 70 or 80k when new...

Just a suggestion, if you get the opportunity, throw a 928 into the equation. They are similar to the 968 insofar as you can "squeeze" 4 people into them in a bind. Both are good GT cars. I caution you though, those extra 4 cylinders and low end V-8 grunt is addictive.

Good luck.

5. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Thanks for the info, the 928 and 944 are still on the list. A guy I know has an older 928S (pre '87), I haven't had a chance to drive it yet though, my dad drove a 944 n/a a few years back and mainly remembers how well the braking & handling was. I'd like to try out a 951 sometime and a newer 928, especially one with a manual tranny. I'll be sure to try all three models, decisions decisions.

6. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Yoda,

The main reason I mentioned '87 as a target year is because in '87 the 928 got a face lift...the tail-lights changed, etc...

If you are going to go with a 944, DEFINITELY go with the 951 Turbo. It can be modded and is an all around better value. I have a friend who used to own a 951 with significant mods and it was still very reliable. Also, FWIW, A buddy of mine races his '89 944 S2 in PCA & SCCA events and the engine is BULLET PROOF. The car has been campaigned for the last 8 years with not one DNF...

Good luck and keep us posted...

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    go here:

www.986forum.com

search a few topics then post your questions. A very helpful bunch.

8. Luchak

Luchak Rookie

Dec 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tony
    This is an easy one. When buying a P-Car, always go for the newest lowest mileage example. In the 944 line, this is it. I would take a 968 over a 951, especially since this will be a daily driver. Very smooth and balanced. Best of all, you can go to Powerhaus or Milledge Eng. for a turbo conversion. Yumm

9. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    What would be more expensive to maintain...

The 928? The 968 or the 944 turbo...?

The reason I ask this question is because the main thrust of vehicle seems to be as a sporty daily driver....

Taking that into account...I think the 968 might be the better choice....

It was the last iteration of a car that was produced for many many years....s so any bugs should have been corrected long before then?

I'm just throwing some logic at this question....and personally I would lean towards the 944 turbo and 928 as illogical it might seem..

Then again...rationality comes into play and I might consider some low cost lease vehicle the manufacturer is is trying unload through heavy subsidized leasing as a daily driver... so I didn't have any headaches on maintance issues and keep the sports car for the days I want to have fun...

Certainly not as cool, certainly not what I recommend but what I do....

How about a 30 month no money down lease on a Chrysler Crossfire....No problems with the car at all...in fact its much loved but my moms friend (77 years old)needs to transfer the lease because my mom had hip replacement surgery 2 weeks ago and he can't use the car because her knee rises above her hip as she might try and enter the vehicle....

Zero down 300 a month...White, Automatic and really a cool car.

If not interested in this lease...DC can't give the cars away (40 to 60 grand) so the resale on ebay is very weak.....check out ebay...

As a Corvette Z06 owner with cam headers gears etc...I was impressed with the crazy looking Chrysler crossfire and would highly recommend it as a daily driver....Its really a nice driver. I would almost take the lease but if I do four new cars here my wife will have my b@lls in a sling...... ;)

Back to the suggestion to consider....

A 1 year old, a 2 year old....or 3 year old crossfire could be purchased at a substantial savings..probably around the same price as a much older porsche 968...HUGE! (here is some crossfire ebay bidding examples to just look at as examples of whats available...I don't know this black Crossfire owner at all-----http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80734&item=4543858900&rd=1

Probably with todays technology...V6 Mercedes chassis and drivetrain... is as fast as the Porsche 968.....Probably handles real closely as well..

I'd target the crossfire as a guess at the same under 20 grand as the Porsche.............but its bullet proof...because its new..

The car gets a lot of attention.......and a nice two seat daily driver...(if you have a sports car for the weekend and nice weather days)

Its really different and a very nice ride to boot..

Sorry to go off on a tangent in your thread...

10. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Yoda- as a daily driver, I would strongly recommend the 968 over the 944 turbo or 928. The 944 turbo and 928 are both quite expensive to maintain. Maybe not as big a deal as a second car where the car isn't being used for 15K plus miles a year, but as an every day car I wouldn't want a 15-20 year old turbo or 928. Don't get me wrong- I love the '87 and on 928, and the 944 turbo, but the 968 is a modern, non-turbo car (without the complexity of a turbo and related items) that performs well, and wouldn't have the electrcial gremlins of the 928. While it's tempting to go for a 928S4, I would say find the newest, cleanest lowest mileage 968 you can afford, and enjoy the car! Great looking car inside and out, awesome handling, and 236 hp- it's not a big corvette, but it's plenty quick to have a blast!

-Andrew