348 door sticking | FerrariChat

348 door sticking

Discussion in '348/355' started by Oengus, Apr 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I was wondering if any body has had their door stick..................specifically the drivers side door. Mine sumtimes won't open, the button and handle seem to be functioning properly but it just doesn't pop open like it should. The an again, sometimes it doess.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    chas

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

My problem is that my door won't close! I really have to slam the driver door. :(

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Looks like we need to split the differance!!

4. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Never run into that problem. Did all that damn snow melt yet??? How do like the ca r now that you have been able to let her run?
    Mike

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Hey Mike,

the car is awesome, I've put about 150 miles or so on her now.......roof off and everything. The Tubi sounds really awesome.............it sure gets a lot of looks in Ohio.....................not too many of them around.

Chas

6. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    This happened with my 308 (driver's door didn't "pop")

I would sit inside, pull the handle and not hear the pop...I would have to push the door open (with some force). I had the latch mechanism cleaned and lubed...works perfect now.

7. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Chas,
    Gald your enjoying her. I am actually flirting with the thought of a 360. Love the search!
    Mike

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Dude, WTF. Start driving ! Yesterday I rolled 150 miles between 9:00am and noon... and that doesn't include whatever distance I did today in the car.

The harder you drive a 348, the sweeter she'll respond.

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Mike,
    I had a huntch you were looking for 355 or a 360........good luck with the search.

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Daniel,

cut me some slack..............I threw my back out last weekend............so I've been a little iffy!!
    I did manage to get the gas cap solenoid put in though.

chas

11. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    sounds like your door is out of alignment, should close very easily

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I was only kidding, didn't mean a 'ting by it.

:)

13. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    my doors close "too" good, i mean i have to tell everyone to drift them shut , all they want to do is slam em like a truck door...
    i literally tap it from an inch away and it latches. i guess its with alignment of the door mechanism...

14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Thanks Darron,

your right, if you close the door gently everything works as it should.

Thanks
    chas

15. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yep, same with mine. They are heavy so people slam them but they close quite easily.

Cheers
    Kevin

16. FAD2BLK

FAD2BLK Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Chas,

You may want to check the bolts that mount the door to the frame. With my door open the bolts seemed to be secure/tight. A friend noticed a slight little buckling sound and found that the bolts were actually quite loose. As I would close the door slowly while watching the bolts, I could see that the bolts were moving...
    Try tightening them. This may be your issue.

Good luck,

Dave

17. julian_blk348

julian_blk348 Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I had the exact same problem on my 348. Turned out to be the door stryker. Good luck!

18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Thanks Dave and Julian.

chas

19. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I've got a striker problem on my 348 too. I've got a new one, but I'll be damned if I can get the old one off the car. It's a hex screw, but it's so freakin' tight, I'll probably break the tool (and it'll go flying into some nicely painted body work or something). Maybe some PB Blaster is needed.

FWIW, the striker actually has a thin aluminum sheath surrounding it. On mine, the sheath has become loose, and just spins freely on the striker. I believe that's my problem -- but in the mean time, I need to slam the door pretty tight tio get it closed.

When looking at another 348 today, I noticed it's striker had about 4 shims in it, allowing it to protrude further into the doorway than mine (which mounts flush to the body work). Chas, does yours seem to have any visible shims on it?

-Daniel

20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Dan,
    I'll check it out in the am...............I have found that if I close my door gently and not with a bang everything is fine. I guess thats the opposite of yours.

Chas

21. FrankTavani

FrankTavani Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    i would love to see a pic of this and how the shims were installed. my doors close very easily and i've noticed that there is some contact with the inner door "skin" (near the striker) and the door opening jamb. its wearing the paint a bit and when driving with the radio off i can hear squeaks which further identify the fact that contact is being made. i was able to break free the torx head screws on both the striker on the door and the striker post in the door jamb but noticed in both instances that neither is really 'adjustable'. this really surprised me, but unless i am really missing something, there is NO play in the mounting bolts and you can't adjust either one. I'd like to stop the wear marks and the squeak but have no idea how to do this.

22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

resnow -

Can you take a picture of your passenger door striker, showing those shims we discussed yesterday?

-d