512TR front hood | FerrariChat

512TR front hood

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jaturon, Apr 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I have just acquired a 512TR 1992 and would like to know how to keep the front hood up, should there me a mechanism that leaves the hood up when needed?
    I had the same problem with my 328 when I first bought it and apparently the button on the hinge was broken and once I replaced it then it worked fine.

Does 512TR has the same kind of hinge on it?

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the hood stays up with the aid of 2 of those little plunger/air piston things that attach at the hinge. just replace them and it will stand up just fine.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's a common problem. The struts are so small, that any leak has a big effect on volume.

You can get them regassed by a mobile strut service if in your area, as an option, but don't expect it to be a permanent fix.

Keep a stick in the boot!

4. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Do not replace them with the Ferrari part. Its made by Suspa and its qua;ity is dubious. The Napa one works better and lasts longer and even dealers are using it. A collapsable pole is available from Griots.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    And a pet hate of mine.....

Make sure you fit them the correct way up.......

When open, the cylinder should be higher than the rod....

This is to ensure the internal oil damper works properly....

Although the TR is one case where it's hard to tell, as the strut stays quite horizontal... But ALL gas struts are designed to work with the cylinder rasied above the rod. This stops the bonnet bouncing against the end stop when you open it fully, and helps closing without "hydraulic" locking the strut before fully closed..... Best example... Daytona/400/BB