GT4 door lock mechanism | FerrariChat

GT4 door lock mechanism

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by davidgt4, Apr 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    The rods connecting the interior handles to the door locks have finally rusted through on my '74 GT4. I've hopefully ordered the bits - any tips or experiences to pass on? It looks like it ought to be a straightforward job but who knows....

2. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi David

It's straight forward. I would set the length using the one you took off. Oh, but then it is already of self varying length :) Put some good grease in the nylon end pieces to keep it smooth. The nylon ends pop off with a flat blade screw driver as a lever. (Gently of course) It is a bit of effort to get the link adjusted so that you can lock/unlock from both the door handle using a key and from the knob inside the car.

If you need specific photos or measurements PM me and I will take some for you. Specify metric or SAE :)

Gerrit
    http://dino308gt4.com

3. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Thanks Gerrit
    Hopefully tackling it this weekend.

4. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    Sorry for interrupting, but while you bring up the discussion on gt4 door locks!,

I got locked into my gt4 today, hard to belive but true.!, what is worse the car has an imobiliser which is triggered by the door closing/ opening.

Picture it stuck in a garage forecourt, in a Ferrari car you can't get out of, not able to start the car. Imagine the looks and jibes I got!

My driver side door mechanism stopped working - old age and general wear and tear over the years. I have dismantled it - time to bury it!

The problem is the key/ barrel mechanism.

does anyone know where to source a set of chrome door handles and a set of keys (they don't have to be new just in good condition and operable).

Only ones I have found are on www.superformance.com at £116 STG, which is a bit rich. I know they are the same as the Fiat X19 door handles?

Suggestions welcomed

Thanks

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Happened to me too. On the weekend so I just made one from scratch. Buy a rod of similar size from home depot, use the old one as a template, bend a length of rod to the same shape (a propane torch helps), cut to size, use tap-die set to make threads, and voila. Tape it up with electrical tape and it is more or less water proof.

All for about $2.

6. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    #6 Ferrari_tech, Apr 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

We can supply outer door handles R/H £60.20 plus vat #40062507
    and L/H £29.50 plus vat #40062606
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    Thanks Malcom,

Out of the country at the moment, will give you a call Monday week.

Interested in undertsanding why RHS is 2 times price of LHS?

Tom

8. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Id be interested to know the answer to that too!

9. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    BERTONE / tomoshea

Just checked with the parts manager and it would seem that when the prices were reviewed the system should have reduced both part numbers, but for some reason it only reduced one. This has now been done manually and both handles are now priced the same - £29.50, sorry for any confusion.