Runners - Need your help! | FerrariChat

Runners - Need your help!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FarmerDave, Apr 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Lets say that a guy, in his mid 20's, 6ft. 190 or so, who is NOT a runner, had to run 1.5 miles within 15 min 20sec. Lets say he had to do it 6 days from today.

This guy did it once, a couple years ago, in about 14:30, when he weighed about 15 pounds less. It was really difficult the last 3/4 mi, but he did it. Didn't do much training prior to that. So it's very likely that he can complete this challenge, but he wants to prepare himself as much as possible. On such short notice.

I know it's a rediculous set of parameters, but he really could use the advice.

He needs advice on training as much as possible without risking injury, or fatigue (by over-training)that could hamper the ability to complete the challenge. Dieting tips also welcomed.

Hypothetically, of course.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Start running now... i mean, RIGHT now... Run a mile and a half everyday - if you can, run two miles or more...! Don't drink ANYTHING except water for the next week... Good luck, do breathing exercises and yadda yadda, let us know how it goes...

3. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Sorry I can't add to this.

I only run when chased.

4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    No ramp-up of distances?

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    O, CRAP..I THOUGHT THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT NUMBER RUNNERS.....

6. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    No, but I'll take action on whether or not he can do it! 14:30 is the over/under. :)

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Start today with a run/walk routine. Gradually (OK, not too gradually) incorporate more running into the routine. Drink lots of water.

One other tip. When you start for your timed run, do not start off too fast. Start slow, and slowly pick up the pace. If you time yourself on your runs, you should have an idea of where you will be after the first quarter mile, half mile, etc. Most people tend to go too fast to start out, then peter out at the end.

Dom

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    CANT HELP YOU, MY MAMALUKES DONT DEAL WITH NEWBIES :)

9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Give me a call Dave

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No, not with six days to go... Stop reading this thread and get out there...!

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I'll give you a buzz tonight, if that's okay. :)

12. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Are you in good shape?

I just started running 6 months ago. Before I started running I worked out 3-5 times per week, including 30 minutes of cardio per workout. The very *first* time I ran, I ran 1.8 miles in about 17 minutes before it became uncomfortable and I had to walk. So if you are in good shape I wouldn't do anything, just go out there and pound it out.

If you are not in good shape, I think training that has anything to do with running will likely cause you injury. If you don't run and try to run any significant distance you will be painfully sore. I'd probably try to do some low impact extended cardio work just to get your heart and lungs used to exertion. Then on the big day just run.

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm just curious Carb, and no offense intended, but how the heck would you know? :) I've seen pictures of you and your diet, and although I may not be much better in the fitness department, I'm certainly not offering any advice.

BTW, Dave? Are you going to tell us why someone would have to do this hypothetically?

14. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Hypothetically, no. :)

15. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    FREAKEN TEXANS HAVE YOUR OWN LANGUAGE

WHERE YA"ALL HOME SCHOOLED??

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    So what's wrong with that, Bruce? :D

17. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    O, SHIIT, ANOTHER TEXAN

TEXAS IS WHERE? NEAR NIGERIA OR CHAD?? :)

18. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Thats fine.....

Hypothetically speaking it should be very easy..... theoretically a guy in lousy shape could probably just run a mile at a slow to moderate pace and walk the last half mile and still be under 15 minutes. During my three month vacation in Alabama last year I never had any problems doing a 1.5 even though I hadn't ran in years.

19. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Cool, I'll call you this evening.

Thanks for all the tips everybody.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Don't listen to Carbon! :)

With only 6 days anything you do is probably going to hurt you. The only thing that will help without much risk of hurting yourself in the process is stretching. Not hard stretching, but start gentle after walking a little, then slowly work into harder stretching. In this order my stretching routine is…

-One arm windmills both directions.
    -Both arms across the chest.
    -Rotate torso around your hips. You'll be amazed how much this helps your overall flexibility. See how close you can touch the ground, then try again after doing this stretch.
    -Squats for your back and knees.
    -Quads by doing a stork pulling one leg back with your hand.
    -Hamstrings by straight legging a table.
    -Calf/ankle stretches on stairs are most important for running.
    -Sitting on floor butterfly stretch.
    -Sitting on floor hurdler stretch.
    -Finish off with seeing how close you can get to touching the floor and then a squat to loosen up.

Maybe a little walking and running up to a half mile 6 days before is OK, but trust me that any more than this will only hurt you.

The most important thing you can do for this type of run is pace yourself. Have the mindset you'll run the last half a little faster than the first half (negative splitting).

Being out of shape you are going to be sore and hurt the next day after this, but your goal is just to make it. For the run make sure you last ate 2 hours beforehand and make sure you are well hydrated the day before and morning of, but stop drinking an hour before and get it out of your system. For that short of run you don't need to hydrate or take food in right before or during.

Stay loose in the run while pacing yourself and it will be fine.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Also eat a banana a day to keep from cramping. Also being well hydrated the day before will help keep from cramping. Drinking too much water that morning will water log and cramp you.

22. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ALSO, ROB FORGOT TO ADD,

A WHITE WINE BEFORE THE WORK OUT, AND RED WINE TO FINISH, THIS WAY YOU WONT KNOW HOW MANY MINUTES YOU HAVE WORKED OUT THAT DAY....

23. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    This is pretty easy. Judging from your height you aren't obese or anything. You simply have to keep a 10 minute mile pace for 15 minutes. Not hard.

Run 3 miles each day for the next week. Drink water. Eat bananas. The normal really.

24. pots

pots Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    new jersey
    Full Name:
    Pots...Mr. Pots
    Put a 12 pack at the end of the 1.5 miles, have 3 of your friends there as well...When you start, they start, you now have 15 min to get to the beer before they finish it...That should work.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Any type of significant running only 6 days before is going to make his run tougher on him! There is absolutely no conditioning benefit only 6 days before, just detrimental effects of soreness and/or injuries.