Classic car ins. on 308? | FerrariChat

Classic car ins. on 308?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by darkSol3982, Apr 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkSol3982

darkSol3982 Rookie

Oct 13, 2004
    Yardley, Pa
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I went for a very spirited drive in the miata last weekend, spotted a black 355 at a traffic light, and my the sounds and views i was treated to. After about 15 mins of twisty roads with him we both pulled over at a school, not sure what it was. after talking he says he has a 79 308 gts for sale and that i should buy it. Yea, ill trade the miata in on it! Kidding aside i told him, since i am in school, having a part time job, i would not be able to afford the insurance. He says he pays 500 dollars! for a years worth of insurance. I realize that classic car insurance applies to this car...but is that a viable number? Just curious for the future...

2. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes, that's a viable number. I pay a little more than that on my 79.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I pay significantly less than that for my Dino, with a $70K agreed value and very low deductables.

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I pay 256 a year with Hagerty for full coverage including an agreed value clause for 35k. No deductables. Use restrictions are club and show activities only which covers everything I use the car for. No driving to work or daily driver status. '78 308 GTS

5. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ^^ I think they have age restrictions, must be 25+ years to drive the car.

6. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I have regular insurance (no limitations) and pay 600 a year

7. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    You do indeed have to be 25 yrs old to qualify for classic coverage in MD. Even if the car is already registered with historic plates.

Full coverage (State Farm) on my '76 GTB was $125/mo a few years ago and went down to $35/mo after I turned 25...with Historic registration throughout.

It helps to have another car as a daily. I had a $950 '85 Jetta with 280,000 miles on it as my beater.

LS

8. darkSol3982

darkSol3982 Rookie

Oct 13, 2004
    Yardley, Pa
    Full Name:
    Chris
    wow, so he was a bit high actually. thanks for the input guys. an f-car may come sooner then i thought.

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Silver Wheel Plan insurance, 432$ per year, 46K value and 100$ deductible. Only restriction is that it not be my primary vehicle.

Keep in mind that these figures are in humble Canadian dollars.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    They do.