Sports Club LA/Irvine, worth it? | FerrariChat

Sports Club LA/Irvine, worth it?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TestShoot, Apr 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I am going to join a gym, I am looking at the Sports Club syndicate to avoid the soccer moms hogging the treadmills, inane aerobics classes, and other casual gym users until I get back into shape to hit Gold's again.

I am curious as to Fchatters that may belong to this particular chain of health clubs. I am looking at the Access West package with a 1200 initiation fee and 162 per month fee to have full access to west coast gyms they own in LA San Fran, Beverly Hills, and Irvine.

My goal is with the fees comes a certain level of exclusivity that the 24hour fitness crowd will not be able to afford so I may sweat in peace. Other chic clubs on the west side are too ***** oriented to actually get in a good hard workout or end up with all cable actuated gear and no free weights.

*side note: I will probably rotate in OC kickboxing a few nights a week as well and take up another form to round out my Muay Thai and karate background.

2. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander
    I joined a couple of months ago and have been enjoying it. All the reasons that you stated helped me in chosing this club. I have used LA and SF so far. I have not tried BH or Irvine. I have the Exec. membership so I can use any of the clubs.

Adam

3. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    It is well worth the money...great gym... Plus there are lots of good looking chicks.

4. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    I worked out at Sports Club for a short time before I realized that it was a little more "exclusive" that I liked. I went back to my membership with the Spectrum Club that I have had for 20 years. People are a little more down to earth (IMO).

Brad

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Wait Sports Club is too exlusive or not enough? Personally I'd rather not be in a crush of people when I work out. No ringing cellphones, no kids, no KIIS fm blasting top 40, just the clank of weights by people serious about working out is what I want. I can't show my face at Gold's since I lost all my muscletone until I get some of it back, so for now I have to find a club that I can go to. This seems like the club. I have to do the tour of the facility next weekend.

6. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Spectrum is owned by the same people who own Sport Club's. It is just a step down, but still exclusive. You won't find any of the things that you mentioned at these clubs. Their equipment is top notch and they aren't any crowds. It is expensive enough to keep the youngsters and the meat market crowd out.

Brad

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Great gym if being "seen" is your thing.

8. Azrael

Azrael Rookie

Apr 21, 2004
    Torrance
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but it was the only thread I could find about Gyms here in So Cal. I am looking into joining one but I am not sure which one. There is a Golds Gym really close to me but what is this all about not wanting to be seen there if you are out of shape? Are people that are not already in good shape looked down upon if they go there or something?

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    if u get a personal trainer, golds will be ok, but to go there you need to take working out pretty seriously. if you are casual and just want to be in shape and don't mind crowd, 24hr fitness is a good starting point to get you in enough shape to go to a better gym. Ilike the sports club, it is pricey, there is not a lot of competition for machines and it is expensive so no riff-raff.

10. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric

PM sent.

11. Vertigo

Vertigo Rookie

Feb 16, 2006
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I am having good luck with LA Fitness. Would be decent place for that bridge period you all are talking about before you jump in with the big boys. It's a step above 24 hour and 10 steps above Ballys. Seems like higher fees equals less crowded and nicer facilities. Occasional soccer mom there but hell that ain't always bad!!! LOL

12. burnout04

burnout04 Karting

Sep 16, 2005
    Malibu/Dubai
    I enjoyed my membership at the 24hour fitness ULTRA SPORT. Big difference between that one, and the other 24hr fitness gyms. Great facitilities, never crowded, nice locker rooms as well, and executive changing rooms. I worked across the street from Sports Club LA/Irvine, and must say its a pretty sweet gym as well. I would go there to eat lunch on a rather frequent basis. Also I would say the Ultra Sport is pretty exclusive as well. We had some regulars who would roll up in an Enzo, SLR, and CGT, alternating every day of the week. Ok so it was one guy (a billionaire) who owned all of them. But seriously since it's right below Lakeshore Towers there are always some Fcars, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Bentleys, etc. You name it, I saw them all outside the gym. Oh yeah and the gym is great too. They make the best protein shakes ever there. One last thing, someone told me that the equipment over at Sports Club was a little older than the stuff at 24hr Ultra Sport.

13. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I agree. I have had great experience with LA Fitness thus far.

14. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I used to work out at 24 hour at Fashion island and stopped mainly because it's over-crowded. I now work out again at the Balboa Bay Club where my family are members and now it's no more than 5 people usually on a weekday night. Can't beat that...

15. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Count another plus for La Fitness. I am completely satisfied. the best perk for me is if you dont want to do weights or cardio that specific day, there is always raquetball/basketball to give a shot to change it up. Usually always a game too. If you want to take it another step there are tournaments and leagues that are well organized.

I'm all over the socal area and usually dont have a problem finding a gym to kill time in case of traffic or anything else...

16. rakjoe

rakjoe Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe R.
    Can't use cellphones, hate it. Good experience overall, specially in the BH location.

17. dynwolf

dynwolf Rookie

Sep 16, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Great club, yes - that is until you want to leave.

Was an LA Fitness member for over a year before I finally decided to "take it to the next level" since I felt I'd plateaued on my own, and signed up for personal training. All was well at first - easy sign up, good trainer assigned to me and very reasonable. After a little over a year, my trainer left. The people they assigned to me from that point were useless - either totally non-interested or WAAY over the top in approach. So, prior to leaving on a business trip in June 05, I decided I'd stop the training.

Can't stop training at the facility you signed up at - have to send their form to the corporate office, which I did. Left for business trip (6 weeks away from home) came back to find my credit card still being billed.

Sent another form, 30 days later, still being billed. Sent a written letter to cancel with copies of form. 30 days later STILL being billed.

In November 2005, I decided I'd had enough - cancelled my membership to the gym totally. 20 days later, received confirmation that my request was processed. Billing for gym membership stopped - but guess what? They still billed me for training sessions. December sent another letter advising that I was disputing charges, wanted my money back going back to June and if they continued to bill me, I'd pass it to my lawyer. In January, got nasty-gram from accounting saying they'd send me to collections for the money I disputed. (But they finally got the message that I wanted to cancel my membership.)

Finally got someone on the phone who stopped collection proceedings, but couldn't help with anything else.

Now having lawyer write a letter.

Not a happy LA Fitness customer.

JM