308 qv exhaust whistle | FerrariChat

308 qv exhaust whistle

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by DonC, Apr 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonC

DonC Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    I bought my 84 308 gts qv in November. From the first drive, I've noticed a faint whistle coming from the exhaust. I had noticed it before on other 308's and LFSC tells me it's quite normal. Not at idle, nor at full throttle, but at part throttle.

I assume it is because of the perforations inside the exhaust tip, and the air traveling past at just the right speed, but then again, I'm not an engineer.

Not that it bothers me (okay, maybe just a little), but I know of two alternatives:

One is a tubi ($$).

Second is a piece of aluminum that fits inside each of the tips. Is it fair to assume that the second alternative is a bad idea?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My 308QV has started to whistle a bit. The shop tells me it is the baffling inside the muffler come loose.

I guess I consider it good news: Eventually I have an excuse to buy a tubi.

3. barbo1

barbo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Huntington beach ca.
    Full Name:
    gerald barbisan
  4. DonC

DonC Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    Thanks!

Sounds like I now have two legit alternatives.

5. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Yep

That is quite normal, meaning that it has happened to anyone who has owned a 308.
    The baffles are the problem

I just had the exhaust upgraded, kept the stock in the garage.

Good luck

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My 1981 2V Car also does it.....Been contemplating a Tubi....But,when I had the car Up,and was changing the Oil a few weeks ago. I looked at the Pipes,and they all look like brand New....I'm talking Shiny Brand New looking! So,forget the Tubi....for now.

Where do you get those "Inserts"?

7. DonC

DonC Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    The third post had the link. I checked it out and they are $45 for all four. Definitely worth a try before dropping $2700 + installation for tubi.

Right now, I figure I can only wake up about half of my neighborhood when I leave for Road America early morning this summer. I'd guess with a tubi, I'd get them all.

8. DonC

DonC Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    I bought some thin sheet aluminum, made the inserts. Just went for a drive. They work.

Now, I'll probably get the nice stainless steel ones, so they don't look like I made them in the dark on my knees.

Only concern is whether the inserts make the exhaust function incorrectly?? My guess is probably not.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I always thought it was the fuel pump. My 84 did it too. In fact, the guy who drove me over to Atlanta to get it asked me what that noise was. It disappeared after I put my Tubi on and I just thought it was too loud to hear it anymore

10. barbo1

barbo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Huntington beach ca.
    Full Name:
    gerald barbisan
    Don, glad you were able to make them yourself,saved you 45 bucks.

I dont think having them in there will do any damage. When I inquired about them they indicated that they had been using them for years with out any issues.

enjoy!

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Nope, they won't have any effect on the function of the exhaust system.

The tips are simply sound deadeners.

If what you did works, why spend 45 bucks? The ones you made will eventually discolour, and won't be noticeable!:)

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    How long and wide do you need to cut the metal for the inserts? Then what do you do,just roll 'em up,and stick 'em in???? What then holds them in...the outward "force" of the metal trying to unroll???? Thanx!

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Frank-

You're on the right track, I know you'll figure it out. ;)

Best bet is to use some 'springy' stainless.

14. DonC

DonC Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    I'll take them out this weekend and measure them, and post the size. But I just cut them out (remember thin aluminum is easier to cut than stainless steel), and rolled them around a kids baseball bat, and the tendency to expand is what holds them in.

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,I suppose that I can stick a small Tape Measurer in there to get the length,then the Circumference....But,as they say...Measure Twice,Cut Once....SO......Just thought I'd ask if anyone else did it,first,and what measurements,(and success) they got before I started fartin' around with this....:)

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    ;)

17. DonC

DonC Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    The inserts that I made from thin aluminum (which, by the way, fell out on Sunday when I started the car, so perhaps a "springy" stainless steel would be a much better choice) are 3.5 inches deep with a circum of 4 inches.

18. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I had the same whistle in my 308. But after coming out of winter service, it seemed to be worse & happen on all acceleration. So enough was enough.

Today I cut the ends off a soup can, cut about 1/3 of it out, rolled up the remaining & stuck it in a muffler tip (Passenger side). The can was springy, so it expanded in the tip well. Problem gone. For kicks, I moved the insert to the next tip. Problem back. Campell's. Mmmmm MMmmmm good!