Eurotunnel or Ferry? | FerrariChat

Eurotunnel or Ferry?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by spidermanUK, Apr 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    I'm going to Brugge, Belgium in early June in the 360 Spider, I have a choice of the Ferry, Dover-Calais, or Eurotunnel. Which would be the best choice purely based on minimising the risk of damage to the car, or is there nothing to choose between them? Are there any "tricks" to either mode of crossing to ensure the car arrives safely? Is there anything unusual I should be aware of for the drive through France and Belgium?

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    tunnel less chance of getting sea sick

3. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    And as you stay with your car all the time, less chance of it being damaged.

4. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    chunnel by far

5. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I use both ferry and tunnel several times a year and there are no problems with either. On one occasion a ferry crew member suggested I approach at an angle the disembarkation juncture with the ramp, but normally this is never a problem as modern ferries are designed for cars of all clearances.

Tunnel is quicker, marginally, but on a ferry you can enjoy a break and a meal during the crossing, so one less motorway stop.

The French are better at observing speed limits now because the police are more vigilent. It's we Brits, the Belgians (in France) and the Germans who speed most. If you get stopped by the traffic police, it's an on-the-spot fine of €130.

On two-lane motorways, it can be tricky if there are a lot of lorries, and there usually a lot. One slow lane, 70mph and one fast lane, 85mph+ means that overtaking can be difficult. The French tailgate.

I am less familiar with Belgian motorways, others can give you details. I like the way many of them are illuminated at night for miles on end.

6. reggie

reggie Guest

I went to Brugge in my 360 Spider recently and used to Euro Tunnel. Thought it was superb, straight on and off, doesnt take long, and a quick run to Brugge. I deff reccomend the euro tunnel. Brugge is also a beautiful city

dont drink too much bush !!!! (before i get all the funny comments, which that comment deserves, Bush is a thick 12.5% beer, blows your head off)

7. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    You must follow the Coach lane on Eurotunnel otherwise you risk your alloys on the train itself. The lanes are wider for coaches and most sportscars go with them - they are used to it. The Murce only has 2" either side even on the coach section...

8. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
  9. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
  10. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

I go to brugge on a regular basis (great city). I have used both Hoverspeed and Eurotunnel and never had any problem.

Have a great time.

Regards

Stewart

11. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I'm interested in what Simon says about using the coach channels. Do you mean inside the train? The rear tyres on the Testa tend to rub against the slightly elevated walkways set either side of the car carriages, but as the walkways are barely raised, they do not touch the rims. I try to aim the car as centrally as possible to avoid the squeal of rubber against metal.

12. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Whilst any risk of damage is minimal if, when booking ticket, tick the option of cars over 1.85m the width of the carriageway inside the train is wider. Much less worry about width when (dis)embarking.

13. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J

The fine depends on your speed they start at 90euro and go up and up
    Keep it under 200 KPH and they are OK

14. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    James Rigby
    When I brought my 400 into the UK from Belgium, I used TransEuropa ferries (Ramgate to Ostend). There were only two cars on the car deck - no chance of damage - and the journey took just 4 1/2 hours.

15. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I've always found the tunnel a *lot* quicker than the ferry. And if you're only going to Belgium, the break isn't really needed over and above the 35mins you get on the train.

It's a squeeze width wise but a 355 will go on with a couple of inches spare.

I've also always found French motorway etiquette (outside of the Peripherique) exceptionally good - this is probably relative to the morons we have on our roads, but I've never had a problem.

Similarly I've never been stopped by the French or Belgian police. But I hear they are getting very harsh on people speeding. I also heard that over 200kph and you're in grave danger of having thecar impounded.

They also don't take kindly to radar detectors etc.

All that said, it's far nice driving over there than here in the main.

16. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Being caught with a radar detector carrys a 1400Euro fine and they take the unit off you. Keep it well hiden at peaige's and fuel stops.

I prefer the tunnel for speed, I think it is far faster then the ferry and as Simon said if your car is wide or you just want more space go down the coach/van lane with th rangee's and X5's.

17. godzilla

godzilla Karting

Feb 9, 2004
    surrey
    Full Name:
    David Yu
    If your car is 355 or wider I would definitely go through the "high vehicle" lane on the Eurotunnel.

If you have a radar detector I wouldn't even bring it to France. They can and will search your luggage and fine you and confiscate it.

This is regardless of whether you were using it or not and the fact that they are legal in the UK and Germany! (I suppose you are supposed to mail it ahead and pick it up on the border???)

18. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Having discovered my radar detector in my glove box whilst on the chunnel last year this issue is surmountable - buy a tin of quality street sweets in Dover.

Hand the sweets out generously during the channel crossing and store detector in empty tin! Arrive at border or back in UK and remove from tin.