Wheel oxidation or ... | FerrariChat

Wheel oxidation or ...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by plasmid, Apr 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plasmid

plasmid Karting
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005
    Ciao

I have had my Ferrari's (308) wheels refinished less than a year and a half ago by Custom Cars.
    Recently, I noticed they have all developed 'wrinkles' (not cracks. they are raised) as seen in this photo

http://www.ezaic.de/pictures/fwheel_deterioration.jpg

Does anyone what that is/why it would happen, and maybe how to stop it?

The shop was relatively helpful but more or less said it was normal, which is sliiightly perplexing.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It IS common with magnesium wheels that were completely stripped and repainted. I have seen this on several cars. I don't know what causes it, but it is obviously a failure in the prep and painting work of the shop involved. The factory painted wheels never do this. This is one reason I recommend that folks who have their wheels repainted, not have them completely stripped....just scuffed and repainted.

Dave

3. plasmid

plasmid Karting
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005
    Thanks Dave.

As far as I know the 308 wheels are not magnesium. As you state, I have seen many magnesium wheels disintegrate.

Custom Cars is regularly used by one of the authorized Ferrari dealers in the Chicago area, and have an excellent reputation.

They mentioned (after the fact) that they never
    stripped the wheels (the bill states repair + finish). In fact, they suggest this is the reason for the 'wrinkles' ... strano

George

4. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    the problem relates to inadequate priming. These wheels require sealing with magnesium chromium before painting. Without this sealant, once the wheel gets hot, minute amounts of gas are released from the magnesium wheel surface which then cause the wrinkling. Magnesium or zinc chromium can be obtained from airplane suppliers