"Frozen Rotors" anyone? | FerrariChat

"Frozen Rotors" anyone?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gatorrari, Apr 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll be needing new front brake rotors on the 328, and at last year's Italian Car Day, I won a discount coupon for "Frozen Rotors" from Diversified Cryogenics that are supposed to be better than stock, and less expensive as well.

Does anyone have any experience with these rotors?

P.S. I try to be easy on my brakes and don't plan to take the car on the track, though I will do the occasional mountain drive, which can be hard on the brakes.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You might want to try a search on the subject, as I do recall a couple threads on this subject in the past. Try "brake cryo", or something like that.

I have seen threads both here and elsewhere that have been both positive and indifferent towards the process. That is, there seems to be little negatives to the process, but they may not offer much benefit either. I have a friend who has a PHD in material science from MIT, and he felt the scientific studies/research is not really there to support the wild claims. Most of it is purely anectdotal and does not hold up to scientific scrutiny. He has done a fair amount of research into it too; as he and I share an interest in firearms, and manufacturers are cryo-ing barrels, frames, and various parts in guns nowadays. All with claims of increased life, accuracy, etc.

You certainly don't see any of the major brake manufacturers using the process (Brembo, etc.) and if it did offer a tangible benefit, wouldn't they want to take advantage of that, and both market that, and charge a premium for the service?

My (in-expert) opinion, is if it does not cost a huge premium, why not? If it does cost a bunch, don't bother. Just buy a high quality rotor and be done with it (Brembo!).

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

4. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I've used the cryo treated rotors on my track Porsche. The first set, purchased a number of years ago seemed to last a long time. The second set did not last nearly as long. I cannot make a really definitive comparison because I changed my pads to a more aggressive variety and drive faster now.

The last set of rotors I purchased for the car were ordinary rotors - no cryo treatment. They seem to be responding to track duty about the same as the last pair of cryo rotors. I am using the same kind of pads with the new rotors.

I have not experienced a difference sufficient to justify spending the additional money.

When I was working, two colleagues of mine were materials engineers, each with a graduate degree. We worked in a chemical plant. Theoretically, there are advantages to cryo treating the metal. However, it was never recommended due to marginal benefits relative to cost. The decision was made for high aloy metals such as Hastelloy and high grades of stainless steel, however. Not cast iron.