348 Rebuilt Clutch Not Engaging. HELP!!! | FerrariChat

348 Rebuilt Clutch Not Engaging. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sweetspotav, Apr 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    This is a continuation of a thread that I posted recently about getting the clutch installed. We were able to get the clutch in. With the flywheel bolts loose, we were able to slide the clutch back into place. Nothing was forced during this stage. Once the second plate aligned, it took some pressure to make the clutch sit completely, but nothing seemed wrong. We then tightened the flywheel bolts we depressed the clutch for the entire process. We turned the flywheel from underneath until each bolt lined up and tightened them slightly and kept turning until we were able to hit each bolt a few times and completely tight. (could the problem be the clutch was depressed the whole time). We put the starter motor on and test fired the car. While the car was in nuetral, the wheel hubs spun slowly. We figured everyhting was fine and put all the parts back together and started up the car getting ready to drive it off the ramps. I started in nuetral and depressed the clutch and I could not get it to go into gear. We also tried starting the car while in reverse and clutch depressed. It would start without any problem and then when I tried to take it out of gear, it was very difficult and then back to the same problem, can't get it into any gear. After five weeks, we are so close. Can someone tell me what the hell is wrong. I need help fast!!! Please post some info or call me 850-580-7768. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

2. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    #2 sweetspotav, Apr 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We went back to try something else. We wanted to verify that the clutch plates were installed properly. We pulled the clutch off and checked the plates. They were installed properly, due to the fact that the back one can only go in one way. Regardless of that, when we tried starting the car in gear but with the clutch in, and was very difficult to get it out of gear, I noticed a burning smell after shutting down the car. During our investigation of the proper orientation of the clutch plates we found that the bottom (rear) clutch plate had placed some burn marks on the plate as well as the metal surface that it contacts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Just some additional info from John & I's progress and troubles from tonight.

(A) On the rear-most clutch disk, the outer portion is very veryt slightly scarred.

(B) The car will shift just fine when not running...it will easily run through each gear.

(C) When the car is running, it will not go into any gear.

(D) As John mentioned, the car will start in gear, it is just difficult to get it out and can't get it back into gear. It's almost as if the clutch isn't fully engaging.

We took the pumpkin back off, tore down the clutch, rechecked to make sure the disks were installed properly, they were, and reinstalled everything.

Stumpted...

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    In the earlier thread I asked you what was done to rebuild. Were the clutch discs resurfaced? If yes the compress the disc is a vise and report the thickness. Why a vise? because there is a spring marcel between the two discs on each plate. Were new discs and pressure plate used and the FW resurfaced? If yes then Your old series one throwout bearing does not have the same set-up height as the new replacement parts. These parts haev been upgraded about 4 times and to my knowledge are not compatible. I am pretty sure not 100% sure that the old T/O bearing throws a shorter throw relative to the new pressure plate and the lenght of its fingers. I.E your clutch is dragging and not disengaging and you are getting burning from slipping your clutch because you can't fully disengage it. Finally, you may be able to adjust the current set-up height of the system relative to your old throw. Call me at 310-346-5081 between 8pm-10pm PST and I can talk you through it. Martin at international can tell you what he did if you are not sure. He is a good mechanic. Let him know you have the old T/O bearing and he may know whether or not your new clutch system is compatible with the old T/O bearing. If he wants to know tell him his 348 trackmate red car #53 saw a picture posted of your clutch house and it is the old style. He is at 714-842-4229

5. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Fatbillybob...FYI, just the tips of the pressure plate fingers look as though they have made contact with the throwout bearing...

John...may you can post a pic showing that...

6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hi,

I think John called me today. I was in the middle of work so I could not talk. I asked him to call me back about 8pm pst. I did not get a call so maybe its fixed? He was going to try bleeding the clutch but there is no reason that there would be air here if it was not tampered with. So call me back 8pm pst so I can tell you another proceedure to try. It is a bit complicated. Also, you can call me anytime at that number on thursday's my day off 8am-10pm pst.

7. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    I am going to try and bleed the system after work today. Where exactly is the bleed screw for the clutch? Thanks for everyone's help.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Rear left hand side of the trany, right next to the clutch cover.

9. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    Bled the hydrolic line last night and we were able to get the car going!!! Shifting into first at a stop is extremely hard. With car rolling, getting into the other gears is ok but not great. Any Suggestions. Thanks to everyone who has helped out. Drove the car for the first time in six weeks. We're off to Celebration this weekend. We took it down to the wire with only two days left to get it running. Thanks again.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Just out of curiousity, what type of gear oil are you running? Did it shift easier when everything was nice and hot?

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    John,

do you have a digital camera? I don't think you are getting full throw and you are still dragging your clutch. If you continue to drive that way you will burn it up.

12. maserati424

maserati424 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    frank gablenz
    Try to bleed the system again. Let someone press the pedal severaltimes the he should press the the pedal , and the open the bleederscrew.
    Do this 3 or 4 times.
    if the pedal "feels" better your problem should be solved.