Lotus Elise v F40 in car video. | FerrariChat

Lotus Elise v F40 in car video.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BERTONE, Apr 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
  2. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    yes, and before you think about it don't. Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

here's my own personal motorsport elise vs f355 video

http://www.qhq.biz/thefasta.mpg

3. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
  4. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    NOTHINGS older than Steve Fs jokes!!!!!!!

5. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    see the mackems have gone up :(

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    there is you finding a car ha ha ha

7. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip

It cetrainly can't be a normal elise ! I have a 111S and although quite brilliant it's no match for an F40. The one in the video must be some sort of tuned Exige rather than an Elise.

8. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Theres more chance of Sunderland staying up next season!!!!!!

9. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    To my eye it looks like the 'elise' (or modded exige) is being driven with a very aggressive line and very late breaking. The F40 dude is just crusing round the corners and pulling away on straights. It would be great to see the driver really push the F40 round the twisties - mind you, I wouldn't have the balls, driving something that value :)

10. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I had an S1 and an S2. Thought they were both great, but favoured the S2 as many of the S1 "inconveniences" had been rectified. Many people prefer the handling of the S1.

11. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Ade, not a chance that a "normal" elise (even the 190) would anly loose so little ground on straight line acceleration vs the F40. I can't say about exiges as i have not driven them but I still doubt it.

12. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

the f40 driver aint giving it big licks

13. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    I dunno - look at the video again - the pair of them are substantially faster than anything else out on the course (llok at the first car he goes past - the yellow 355 challenge looking car - breezes past it) - the Elise / Exige or whatever it is is going past 355's 911's etc like they are standing still.

I think that is a Lotus in a high state of tune, maybe a racing (not road) version.

14. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

yeah poss, an exige is quick but not that quick, are we sure its and exige/elise, looks like one. I would agree

15. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The F40 was certainly going for it when it came to diving into gaps in slower traffic on the approach to some of those bends.

16. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    It sounds as though it has some kind of forced induction - maybe a supercharged version? I have a VXR220 and it make a similar noise (but faster...)

17. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    As one of the very few on here who own a Lotus Elise, I thought I'd chip in :)

The comment about lots of trouble usually serious is not in any way fair. If applied to a V8 Esprit it would probably be fair comment, but Elise's are remarkably tough and reliable cars even when tracked hard.

I've seen the vid before, and the Lotus is an Elise, not an Exige. Not that it makes any difference as it's clearly modified as no standard Elise can keep up with an F40.

However, there are plenty of highly modded Elises out there :) Mine is supercharged for example.

Given the Elise's very low mass, if it's appropriately modded with track suspension, wheels, tyres, brakes and has a significant hike in power, then it becomes a real giant killer.

A standard Elise has only 118bhp and does 0-60mph in 5.6 secs. Mine has had all the mods I listed above, and many more, and generates 245bhp with a mass of only 730kg. But it is still road focussed.

There are Elises out there with less mass, and more power than mine, and some are purely track focussed. As you can imagine, these are pretty formidable cars.

I do think the F40 driver was trying, but perhaps the Elise driver was a better driver?

Jas

18. woza

woza Karting

Aug 27, 2004
    Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Warren O'Connell
    i may only be 19 and i may have only driven an elise once but i found it to be amazing.

I did a lotus elise track day at thruxton, if i remember correctly i did as good as 20 laps in it and i thought it was the best fun ever. I enjoyed this more so than i did driving a lamborghini diablo around goodwood!

I got speeds of 130 out of the elise on the straight and it was so much fun, felt like driving a go kart and it was really easy to go fast in!

Thats my 2 pence worth!

Woza.