My Fat BUTT. (Thanks to Paul Hill) | FerrariChat

My Fat BUTT. (Thanks to Paul Hill)

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ricambi America, Apr 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With a total duration of about 45 minutes (with an intermission call to N24RE), I'm the proud owner of a fat a$$ 348. The difference of 25mm might not be so visible in these pictures, but "in the flesh", the difference is staggering.

I'll hit the road tomorrow for some driving impressions. However, judging from the comments of folks who've already put spacers on, it should be a wonderful improvement over the sometimes-tricky 1990 348 configuration.

Daniel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    The wider rear track looks good. Did you do the fronts too?

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You might consider putting some 3M Stonegard material over your lower rear fenders -- I did that when I widened my 308's rear track with spacers... helps eliminate the otherwise inevitable rock chips. You can buy uncut film by the foot from www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp

4. FNU_LNU

FNU_LNU Karting

May 22, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    AM
    Looks wicked good!

5. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    The tires stick out past the fender well. Is there any chance that they will hit on bumpy roads?

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That looks really good. I am thinking of doing the same on my 89 348. What is the cost??? I am also interested if the new offset will rub the wells.
    BT

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Rear offset doesn't appear to rub whatsoever. I'm tempted to also put 15mm on the front, but I'll wait until after my track weekend at VIR (next week). These spacers are some huge suckers -- make no mistake about it. Standing beside the car on the rear quarter, it looks FAR more aggressive than ever before. Although I've only done some relatively tame street driving since installing them, I can see how 75% of the 348's "quirky" handling might have been solved by these spacers. Track time next weekend will be the proof in da puddin'

This wasn't meant to be a commercial thread, but since you asked: The total cost, bolts and everything is $255. They're about 8 pounds shipping weight ($10). http://ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=224439

-Daniel

8. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Mike - Thanks for the tip. I don't think it'll get to NC before the track weekend, but I ordered it anyway. In the meantime, I'm headed to Home Depot for my blue-tape!

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I installed mine from Daniel last week and wish I would have bought them sooner, woth every penny

10. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    It will be interesting to see under track conditions if the wheel well will blow out. By any chance did you roll the inside edge of the fenders to minimize the damage to the tires? I don't perfer putting extra load on the outer wheel bearing so I tend to shy away from this type of setup. Also in NY the tires are required to be covered by a fender. Dumb law . I perfer to go with sizing up the tire to get more of the width and patch on the road. Just my 2 cts

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Did you get an alignment after you added the spacers?

12. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    When I read your question my first response was that spacers wouldn't change alignment settings. On further consideration however I think the wider track would increase the moment at the inboard control arm pivot. This would have to be counteracted a greater load from the spring...which means a lower ride height, and therefore altered alignment settings.

Daniel, have you noticed a small reduction in ride height?

13. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Good questions. No, I didn't have an alignment done yet -- and don't know that I'll have a chance before VIR. I'm not a geometry whiz, but can you explain why adding identical weights and spacers on the the rear track would affect things?

In terms of the wheel rubbing, there's still some reasonable clearance under the lip. If I slam the car down "Starsky and Hutch" style, then it might rub a bit, but remember, the original tires were also protruding slightly from the well. (OK, not protruding, but a good slam on the rear would cause the tire to hit the fender lip)

From what I can tell, it's really no different than popping 360 rims on a 348.

Frank, any comments on your side?

14. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K
    I'm running the same on my 348.

25mm rear; 15mm front spacers on stock rims.

Transforms the look of the car and it does feel more stable.

John

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The spacers effectively lengthen the A arms, making the wheels further from the suspension fulcrum. This means that there is more of a moment on the suspension with an unchanged amount of spring to hold it up. Your car will sit slightly lower. This will change camber to be more negative. It also means that your suspension will compress more in an aggressive turn than it would without the spacers.

There is no doubt that the spacers will affect handling, but only a test drive by an experienced driver will confirm if it actually IMPROVES handling. You are modifying the design of the suspension geometry without any analysis in advance. I'm not saying it can't improve the handling, just that it may or it may not. It certainly improves the look though.

Unfortunately, the 348 wheels are among the heaviest ever put on a late model Ferrari. Now you are adding several more pounds of unspring weight to that. Ugh. That can't be good for the damping rate. I think you would be better off to simply go to lighter, wider aftermarket wheels.

Birdman

16. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    #16 chrisx666, Apr 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    I put 355 wheels on my 348 and just installed 15mm spacers on the rear only.

18. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My understanding is the '93~'94 models rear track was increased by 25mm+. Don't know if this was accomplished by different wheel offsets or the actual rear mounts were changed. Seems the latter would be more costly.

19. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think you may have good point.

I took my car in for it's annual service today and asked if they would widen the rear track.

They recommended that I did not do it as it would put extra strain on the suspension which its was not designed for. I have heeded their advice as they are a well established and recognised independant here in the UK although I do want to widen the track but may look at after market wheels as the wider track looks so much better. As for the handling, who knows, it's not my attention to take it that far if I can help it!

20. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

Dan, on my 91 348ts, i went with 30mm on the back and 20mm on the front, they fit great, no rubbing, and made a major difference in the looks of the car, for some reason moving the wheels out that little bit completely changes the stance of the car,

now ive picked up a set of 355 wheels, so here we go again, i think what im going to do is leave the 20mm on the front and have the 30mm on the back milled down to 20mm, should fit perfect

21. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    OmegaSteve, just interested in who in your area you use for servicing. I'm in Bristol area and looking for where to take my 348.

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I put 360 wheels on my 328, which resulted in a 12mm spacer effect in the front and a 25mm spacer effect in the rear. You can really tell that after adding the wheels the neg camber changed.

I would suggest an alignment ASAP, or you may get very uneven tirewear in the rear.