First 500 miles in my 365 GT 2+2 | FerrariChat

First 500 miles in my 365 GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jcwconsult, Apr 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    I finally got my 365 that I bought last December out of the shop last Saturday and put 500 miles on it during the week. I got it back to the shop on Friday, just before our wonderful snow started. It still has a bunch of stuff to be done before FCA2005 in Indy (a common story with a "new" Ferrari needing more than you anticipated). That said, the headline for the Karl Ludvigsen road test in November 1968 Sports Car Graphic was right:
    The Magnificent GT
    If you've wondered what "Grand Touring" means, let Ferrari and Pininfarina explain ...
    Strong, comfortable, seemingly endless pulling power, lots of room, all the power accessories needed for luxury ... and wrapped in Pininfarina beauty. I did discover one problem with the wipers -- the arms lift off at about 120 mph. (My passenger thought we were doing about 80 or so.) This is the right model for me (given that my budget won't handle a 500 Superfast).
    I think I will be using all of the allowed 5,000 miles per year.

Regards,
    Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

2. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Congratulations Jim. I've got a few friends that have owned 365's at one time or another. Without exception, it was a Ferrari that they all thoroughly loved owning/tinkering with/driving.

Enjoy your ride,

Bernardo

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    We

need

PICS!

4. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Hi Jim,
    That's great that you are on the road at last.
    Terry

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Congrats on getting your 365 going! I'm hoping to get at least one 500+ mile trip in mine this summer. Not to mention plenty of shorter trips around town.

6. johnson

johnson Rookie

Mar 19, 2005
    ChicagoSouth of I 80
    Full Name:
    Chris LaPorte
    Hi Jim,
    your gonna have a lot of fun,had my 365 on Autobahn race track yesterday.Corners were work,straights a blur.
    enjoy!

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    fantastic! a least for a dozen of us here, you're preaching to the choir!

Bowzer likes this.
  8. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    Jim,

Congrats on driving your new 365. I'm with Uro...we need pics!!!!!

One question though...your last sentence mentions using all 5,000 miles. Forgive my ignorance, but why are you only alloted 5,000 miles? Is it for insurance purposes? Or is the car only allowed a certain number of miles because it's Euro spec? Hopefully this 5,000 mile limit isn't self imposed!

9. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Sorry, I am not yet in the modern era with digital or scanned picture capability. :-( I hope to remedy that Neanderthal era problem soon. You can see pictures of the sunroof at www.tomyang.net, hit the Restoration Tips link, then the Sunroof link. The car is Giallo Fly Italvar with black leather, both are original colors per the Heritage Certificate from Ferrari.

5,000 miles is the insurance agreement, but it should be enough.

I read a lot over the years about the "marginal" cooling and A/C systems with overheating issues, and I found they are not necessarily true if the car is OK. With a radiator recored a few years ago plus the proper 6 blade fans for a US model on those huge motors (thanks Zac) plus a 10 cubic inch A/C compressor, the cooling is quite adequate. I parked dead still in the sun for 15 minutes at 85 degrees ambient temp with the A/C. at full blast, and the car did not go over 195 degrees water temp, with zero coolant loss. Both the engine and the interior stayed cool enough. The heaters also dealt well with 35-40 degree morning temps. All very liveable.

Regards,

Jim Walker

10. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Thanx for the post...glad you're car is everything you'd hoped and dreamed. Sounds like a most enviable sojourn; just pretty cool! steve

11. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Jim, no need for a digital camera. I don't have one, and all I do is have my pics transfered onto CD at the same time I have them developped onto traditional photographic paper.

12. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Congrats from one 365GT2+2 owner to another! I know how it feels!!

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Jim,
    I think you will enjoy your 365 for many trips/years. I had one [after a GTC]
    back in the early 80's and really thought it had a superior engine to the 330. Seemed to spin much more freely w/ more torque. Although you say you would rather have a Superfast.......well maybe for $$ value, but it drives much like a lorrie and really does not want to come to a stop. Big motor, but handling is heavier than heavy. Had a couple of hairy drives in an SF and could not wait to give it back. You have a better driver IMHO.
    Steve Cantera

Bowzer likes this.
  14. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    Hi Jim,
    I'm one of those with "marginal" cooling. My 365 GT now lives in Québec with me where it doesn't get warm enough to cause cooling problems. We lived in Farmington Hills, Michigan until 2003 but my European model with the small alternator, small fan motors, and three-bladed magnesium fan blades couldn't handle even the mild Michigan summers. If I had parked dead still in the sun with the A/C on an 85 degree day, Michigan would have experienced a "China Syndrome" in about 5 minutes. Purism = Masochism. I should have upgraded the fans, motors, and alternator but was too paranoid about authenticity. I wish we had met when I lived there. I wish you "Good Cruising" on Woodward Ave. in August during Dream Cruise. With your cooling system, you can probably handle it.
    Tom Kizer

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have the 25th Queen Mother and have replaced the original alternator w/ a 60 amp unit. I also have a big aftermarket fan on the front of the radiator manually controlled by the far right "E" toggle on the dash. Since I live in the humid jungle of Washington DC and must use the AC, I get tremendous piece of mind flicking the fan switch and (1) seeing the ammeter stay in positive and (2) seeing the temp needle move to the left-of-center w/in 10 seconds. A concour point or two is well worth the price.

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have a Delco alternator in mine with plenty of capacity. Just had it rebuilt, in fact. 12327 is a US model, and the cooling has never been a problem as long as the fans were working.

When I first bought the car, one of the fans was intermittent, which made city driving an adventure!