My Ugly Porsche 911: A few Questions ... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Ugly Porsche 911: A few Questions ...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by thecarreaper, Apr 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I can't believe nobody's said it yet....

Japanese Porsche, Hot Pink.... Where's the Hello Kitty stickers?

2. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    I can vouch for the problems with the 2.7. I have a '76 911s and my 2.7 blew at X-Mas. I am looking at upgrading to a 3.2. I don't think that a proper re-build on a 2.7 is worth it when you can step up to a 3.2 for similar money and have more power.

FWIW, my 2.7 had all the recommended upgrades, including 11-blade fan and the damn thing still ran hot...

Good luck...

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Be careful. There's a lady who races a Spec Miata that is pink. On the bumper are the words, "You have just been passed by a girl."

Dale

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

the purple is not factory :) the car was running and driveable until a few weeks ago. it has trash in the fuel tank, as far as i can tell. hell i got it so cheap i may just sell it..... make a great race car for somebody!!! i found the 911/81 as the "rest of world" code for a 2.7 . this with the serial number means the car has its original engine / trans. the engine was supposedly rebuilt a few years ago, how many times have i heard THAT before. now that i am home from work, i think i will yank the plugs and do a comp test..... see what it needs from there. has a jammin pioneer stereo at least :)

5. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Sweet car, except for the color. Have it resprayed to the bright orange that was used in the '70s on the 911. They had some funky colors back then. The interior colors can be fixed easily. Sounds like a good buy, though.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn Terry, why didn't you tell me about this car before it sold! A red and tan 87 coupe with no spoiler or other micky mouse crap with less than 75k miles.

Oh, that's right, you didn't know that I was looking for this car. Well, now you do!

Dale

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

nope no hat.... i sit in the car i feel like a pepto-bismal commercial !

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the forum is great, thank you for that post Terry! a 3.2 would be great........

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

good call...no 11 blade cooling fan either. 2.7 for sure. can be a lovely motor if the head studs are replaced...mike can do all it needs ...in his sleep!

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

thanks for the kind words :) i took all the stuff off the moror last night..... found the fuel pump relay, disabled the ignition, and went to do the compression test. no dice, my tester wont fit down into the head. i have a freind that has one for 911 pcars, so i will wait and borrow his. the fuel dizzy is leaking around the seam, the guy was in there messing around, it seems. plugs were fouled out,#5 is soaked in fuel, infector must be stuck. car has not been run but a few minutes like this , so no damage to the rings should have occured. will need another oil / filter change though. some idiot used permatex on the valve covers, no gaskets!!!! thats where the oil leaks are coming from. if i can get it running its a keeper for awhile. :) i MUST drive the Ferrari this weekend sometime. she is quite jealous.... :)

notes
    the spark plug tool in the tool kit worked great, i bet it will work in the 308, as mine is missing for the ferrari.

master cyl and all 4 flex lines are new. i called the guy whos name is on the title. he has the Porsche service manuals and all the records. car was parked 2 years ago. his best freind in the miltary bought the car in Germany, he gave me the name of the place but i cant spell it. he had the cardone by a tuner place and painted in germany, then went to Japan, Hawaii and Washington DC. the car is a rest of world spec 911, no a/c, manual windows, everything is there and everything works. pretty cool. i am going to see what the records show, having the manuals will be great, as this is but the begining of pcar ownership for me. i still want a Lotus, a lambo and a 308gt4. must goto work!

11. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    #36 lukek, Apr 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

yea yea real funny :)

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    If you keep it, you should put NOT GAY as the plate.

Strip to the body, build a track car...

14. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Michael,
    REPAINT!
    That's the rare "Barbie Edition" 911!!!!
    Man that sucks. They ruined a cool car. How many miles are on it?

15. wcelliot

wcelliot Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    While this may not be the right color for this car, I think that it is (very close anyway) a factory Porsche color from the late 80's. Not for any sold in the US though.

Reason I remember is that we used it for a show truck back (along with bright white and flourescent blue) around 1990 AND that color 911 is on the cover of a european Porsche collectors guide I just bought, prompting the memory of the truck and the owner's color choices.

On the other hand, my 15-yr-old daughter is restifying a '68 912... (I originally bought it as a solid shell to drop a turbo Corvair motor into, but it came with a nice late Type IV 2.0 which I think I'll leave in it)... I showed her the book and suggested the color... she simply rolled her eyes and said "that's SO gay"....

Bill

16. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    ROW = Replace w/only Webers. Tear out the CIS otherwise your reputation of ReaperDynamics Inc will be tainted. *LOL* IMO, looks like the purple seat inserts are vinyl, they sure don't look like leather.

On the plus side, Porsche has been building the same form factor for almost 40 years now, AFAIK, you can change engines fairly easily with mods for different ancillaries from year to year. Don't quite understand why rebuilding those engines on the Pcars can cost so fricking much with such a simple engine.

17. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

96k original , 1 owner. title reflects mileage as accurate. they had the whole freaking car apart when they painted it too..... a respray is going to be $$$$. i still say flat black primer, gut it and race it :). i should the health of the engine this weekend by the compression numbers. vertexauto has decent prices for fuel dizzies, around $800.00.

18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i have been looking around and i *just* joined the Pelican parts forum ( great place Wayne). how diffucult is it to carb a CIS 2.7? i know the 2.7 is a POS but the damn thing runs, and has great oil pressure, unless its FUBAR after the fuel issue is fixed, i dont see any reason to remove it just yet. the former owner guy said it had "upgrades", some in Germany when newer and some in Japan. i asked for service records and he said he would look..... yea sure......

more webbers would be cool, say 3 dcnf40's :)

19. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    I understand, if the CIS can be cheaply repaired, then yes. Don't want to be throwing good money after a tired CIS system. Sounds like it has had alot of money thrown in already. Wished I knew more about Porsches. The thing that I learned early on about the CIS system, is that the airbox can be FUBAR'd if it isn't started correctly. Throttle must be closed---no pumping with gas pedal or 2.5K just went out the car window.

20. ferraripete

michael, the 2.7 is a great engine when the mag case issue is handled. it is a rever and sounds so sweet!!!

i have a friend at hendrick motorsports that can get you all the hardware at cost. price what you will need to change out the head studs and other...then lets see what we can get it for at cost!?

when this car gets done and you are racing it in the klub sport class...you may forget ferrari very soon!

p.m. me and i will send you some 930 sway bars. you can have them for nada! just pay for the shipping...probably about $20 bucks.

let's get that ride handling!!

pcb

21. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

thanks PM SENT ! :)

22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It's a beautiful thing. What is the proper bolt for this mag & aluminum combo?

Oh - Mike - I dig the sinister black paint idea.

23. ferraripete

tom, the arp hardware seem to improve the coefficient of expansion issues that have plagued the mag cases. the dilivar head studs are also used by the vintage racers to good result.

i have owned several 2.7's and they have by no means been all bad. always sounding lovely w/ a bursch exhaust!!!!

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #49 thecarreaper, Apr 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Peter, i will call ya in a bit, thanks for the pm info. here are some pics i took of the car outside and clean. i put all the carpet and tools ect back in it. no rust or body damage. i would love to know what the tool is that is just under the triangle. i think its a tow hook, but i have no clue how it works. i fixed a vaccum leak ( another one) and the car runs even better. going to price/order fuel dizzy this week. guess i need to get a 77 911 owners manual as well. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    yea i know... its still ugly..... i do like the "flat" look of the paint though, glossy purple would be even worse :)