360 CS vs. GT2 (996) | FerrariChat

360 CS vs. GT2 (996)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Baasha, Apr 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    umm.. I was wondering for those who have driven both or know both cars quite well, performance wise (acceleration, top speed, handling etc.) which is the better car?

2. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    That's a hard question. What if I like them both equally. CS at the end of the day. But a GT3 is a better deal, as is a used GT2.

3. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    straight line speed off the line goes to the GT2 , it feels a lot quicker. The way it pushes you back in your set is unbeleivable. when you are moving it doesn't give you the same push and actually feels the same power as my 3 .on the road through the twisty bits the CS handles it better for me as the GT2 jumps around and is harder to drive fast , this has been well documented in different car magazines . on the track I am faster by 1 sec in my GT3 to my GT2 which amazed me.The GT3 isn't stock so it's not fair to compare it this way. Obviously I am not getting the full potential out of the GT2 but they are different cars with different power bands coming on at different times. The 3 is progressive which you can use to your advantage exiting corners , also the 8500 red line helps me in certain corners delaying the change up were as the 2 only red lines to 6500 and I find myself up changing sometimes through the corner. also the power delay and power band of the 2 is a lot harder to get right which can mean too much grunt coming out of hair pins or time lost waiting for the turbos to kick in. I haven't taken my CS to the track but will do so next month so I am a little unsure of its track capabilities but am very confident I won't be dissapointed. The F1 shift is magic. I was scared of getting bored with it but it makes a great change from using a manual and I can be quicker through the gears than I ever dreamed using a stick. If I could only have 1 it would be the CS

4. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    The GT2 is a rocket and downright scarey if you do not know how to drive it. It will bite you bad if you don't know how to to drive Porsches at 9/10 or 10/10. The GT3 will not bite you as bad because it does not have the absolute whallop of power which can get in you in the twisties.

If you know how to drive Porsches, I would say the GT3 is boring compared to the GT2.

The GT2 spanked the GT3 around the ring. I think the GT2 was actually quicker than the GT3RS also. Put R compunds on the GT2 and it would probably spank even the GT3 RS.

Been a while since I have seen the times. The GT3 is actually about the same as a plain old 996 TT with his tractor stock suspension height.

I have not driven a CS, but have driven a 360. Not sure how different a CS and a 360 is, but a GT2 and 360 is in different league as far as performance.

5. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    Here are some track times I just found.

Nordschleife:
    GT3RS: 7:47 PZero Corsa
    GT3 Mk2: 7:54 PZero Rosso
    GT3 Mk1: 8:03
    GT2: 7:46
    Turbo: 7:56

Hockenheim:
    GT3RS: 1:11.8 PZero Corsa
    GT3 Mk2: 1:13.2 PZero Rosso
    GT3 Mk1: 1:14.9
    GT2: 1:12.6
    Turbo: 1:14.6

6. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    The GT3 is absolutely nothing like the Turbo. In VERY highly skilled hands the 2 would be faster than a 3 at tracks like WSIR, but for most of us the 3 is the far better track car. BTW, the 3 is anything but boring, what do you think that the cup cars, etc. are based upon? The problem with the CS is the up front expense of the car and the cost of repairs if you go off the track. Most people that I know with the CS don't track the car for that reason alone. The CS is still my favorite of the three, as it really is beautiful.

7. msquared

msquared Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Top Gear did a nice comparison of the 360CS and the GT3RS.

Though the pair of turbos and the all wheel drive admittedly change things, I think you may find the piece interesting. The segment is about 5 minutes long. When I get home this evening I'll host it. I'll just ask that the link not be shared outside of fc.

8. msquared

msquared Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    cool. would appreciate it if y'all didn't spread this link around. thanks.

www.msquaredsoftware.com/misc/Top_Gear_GT3RS_vs_360CS_hi.wmv

9. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
  10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thanks for link. ive seen this episode before but i really needed it after watching heart breaking double overtime loss of my nj nets to miami heat. who cares about basketball when there's ferrari vs porsche?

11. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

Performance wise??? no looks, no shapes, no names, no history background... that's like taken half of the goodies from Ferrari. Then, tough question.

12. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    This is actually a pretty good question

Absolutely stock I would say
    - the GT2 is the winner if you are an acceleration junky but it is a b*tch on the track and street (I have driven it only on the street myself)

- the GT3 is the best overall value if you are a track junky (excluding carbon brakes) but has some weak spots on the street

- the CS is the best executed car of the three – it is great on the street and track

I would buy the CS again - no second thoughts

since the GT3 & CS are NA cars and the GT2 turbo charged it will be hard to compare the track behavior in a meaningful way – however one can compare CS and GT3 or more meaningful CS (EU cats & weight) and GT3 RS – assuming equal drivers I would bet my money on (based on running with GT3s with my 360 Challenge & CS)

- absolutely stock the GT3 RS has an advantage over the CS because of the availability of better tires
    - given equal tires (DOT slicks), optimum suspension alignment, equal options (EU cats, etc) and no other mods I would say the CS has an advantage

now the picture changes if you want to modify the car – I believe the GT2 with its tremendous depreciation has become a true sleeper as a platform - for how it can be done look at http://www.thecarexperience.com/ASS/83/GT2RS.htm

I hope the 430 Challenge is a real eye opener when it is introduced end-of-year and makes a CS version something to wait for – since the GT2 option makes me think ….

13. thusly

thusly Karting

My experiences mirror Scud's, Thomas B's and Doug's. I have all three: the GT-2 is truly exhilirating when pushed to the limit (very difficult to do and cannot be abrupt on throttle on exit of corners) and far more exciting to drive at speed than the GT-3. For me, the GT-2 is much twitchier and prone to throttle steer at high speeds (over 130mph) making the excitement that much greater. The GT-3 is fabulous for balance, acceleration, overall speed and handling. Much more "plug and play/get up and go fast" than the GT-2, with a shorter learning curve to achieve decent speeds/times.

IMHO, the CS is much like the GT-3, but for the sound, easier turn in, better downforce and stability all the way around. The CS is as rock solid at high speeds over 130mph as it is at half those speeds.

Definitely different car experiences with each, with the CS and GT-3 making the driver more comfortable pushing the car to its limits as opposed to the GT-2.

14. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    and you could actually do a search and read the long discussions we had less than a year ago

15. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Wow! never the GT3 was boring. I have an 05 GT3 and the 360 spider and the GT3 is a blast to drive. Traded a friend my 3 for his 2 for a day and while the 2 is faster the 3 is much more fun to drive fast. The 3 is a raw Porsche that takes you back to the days of the 73 RS.

vince

16. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
  17. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    wow, that was a really sweet comparison test from top gear. probably one of the best that i'v seen from them

18. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    Boring was a bad word. The GT3 is really nice, but it is just very tame compared to the GT2.

Actually, boring would probably be the 996 Twin Turbo as that thing is so easy to drive at 9/10s. My 2001 had hybrid K24s and around 700 + HP. The car was rush and first gear was basically non existant.

Hit the gas and the car is at the red line faster than you can shift. What a rush, but easy to drive because of the AWD.

Almost a waste to boost the GT2 as the AWD traction is needed once you hit 500 or so. Better off getting an 01 Twin Turbo without X50 and spend about $ 20k to boost the hp to 750. Can do this for a total of less than $ 110k out of pocket including new suspension and have a brutal rocket that is very easy to track.

I have owned two dedicated track Porsches built up from a 70s tub and an SC. Also have Ruf and a few 80s models. Twitchie is a great word that someone used and to me, the GT2 and older stuff is just that, twitchee. The GT3 is so well balanced and so much easier to drive.

19. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    do you happen to have pictures of these? i think older porsches look almost as good if not better than most newer ones

20. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    #20 Doug H, Apr 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Iroc:

Here is my Ruf. I will look for some of my older cars. I have a new computer and most of my pics are on my old computer that crashed a few months back.

The Ruf is set up for track. Total rebuilt 3.8 puts down around 300 with huge torque curve. Got dyno somewhere around here. Removeable roll bar and removeable stereo. Probably the only track car around with a $ 12,000 full McIntosh stereo system. My amp rack in the front and sub box in the back remove in about 5 minutes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #21 Jack(LA), Apr 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017