Make-A-Wish: The Real Story | FerrariChat

Make-A-Wish: The Real Story

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Caro Mio Cavallino, Apr 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caro Mio Cavallino

Feb 7, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Carrie
    Okay, now that the egos have subsided and the trash talk is dwindling, its time to report the real event that happened on Saturday. :)

Although it was very early to wake up on a Saturday morning, it was well worth it! Everyone at Ferrari of San Antonio was running around completing last minute details, while Ferrari Club members were hitting the road and the gas station!

The first make-a-wish donation came about 8:15, from a gentleman who saw a convoy of Ferraris on 35 South, and followed them on into San Antonio. He opened the floodgates, and it was non-stop from that point on. There were children of all ages in attendance, and I think its safe to say their parents were having just as much fun! It took awhile, but even a dead-set-against-it mom finally took a ride in a 355 and promised to come back again next year. It's hard not to appreciate the Ferraris when you are totally immersed in them. Words cannot express the joy and absolute awe that was reflected in the faces of the children and adults that day.

But the absolute best part of the day happened just as the last remaining Ferraris were preparing to head out for the day. A conversion van pulled into the parking lot and a 17-year-old in a wheelchair was helped out. Corey, a Wish-Kid from Laredo, made the trip with his mother and brother. Not only did they drive many, many miles just for a ride in a Ferrari but also braved very yucky weather at the same time. But we are so glad they did! Corey loves racecars, and mentioned he liked to race Ferraris on his many different gaming systems. Luckily, Dana hadn't left yet, so she pulled right up and took Corey for his ride in a 512BB. Dana, you were an angel that day...thank you so much! I still get goose bumps thinking about his smile, and how happy his mom was. It definitely made getting up that early...very, very worth it. Thank you again!

Now, for a little clarification. Tsk tsk tsk...it seems we have a couple Pinocchios in our midst who have some growing noses. No, there wasn't a certain Stradale giving 20+ rides at over 180mph. No, we did not have street races where people were in danger. The Ferrari owners/drivers were very safe, conservative, and a lot of fun! There was only 1 ticket received that day, and believe me...there were a LOT of SAPD officers on the roads. Those of you from San Antonio still see them all over the place...we're in a "Zero Tolerance" zone right now. We had no choice but to keep it reasonable. And Ferrari of San Antonio would like to applaud and thank the Ferrari Club members and drivers for staying smart and staying safe. Whoa, that sounded like an after-school special tag line...oh well, its very true. :)

David, Jim, Miguel, Wes, and everyone else I've missed...you guys were awesome that day! Its because of you all that we raised over $1400 for the the Make-A-Wish Foundation in one morning. We beat the last amount, so imagine what we can do next year...and maybe the newspaper’ll remember us next time! Thanks again, guys! And for those of you who missed the event for one reason or another, you truly missed a wonderful day that cannot be described on here, or anywhere else. It was one of those days that you honestly had to be here.

And now you know (dramatic pause) the rest of the story...

So...anyone wanna teach me how to drive F1?? ;)

2. Caro Mio Cavallino

Feb 7, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Carrie
    #2 Caro Mio Cavallino, Apr 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Caro Mio Cavallino

Feb 7, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Carrie
  4. Caro Mio Cavallino

Feb 7, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Carrie
    #4 Caro Mio Cavallino, Apr 28, 2005
  5. Caro Mio Cavallino

Feb 7, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Carrie
    #5 Caro Mio Cavallino, Apr 28, 2005
  6. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes

Last year about this time, I put those fresh decals on my car. It just so happened that I had met Mandi (Drives in the current Challenge series) at the Ferrari Fiesta event. Mandi is really active in the Make-A-Wish organization, and her Challenge car is dedicated to the effort.

A week or so into the ordering of decals for my car, I recieved a phone call form a local car club as they were looking for a Ferrari owner to organize a meeting with. There was a local young man, who had a make-a -wish to spend the day with a Ferrari.

After some discussion, we organized the event and took off. Another local Ferrari owner and I spent the day riding around in the cars and having fun. We wrapped up the day at my garage and thats when the fun started.

I had the Challenge car out and I let him drive it around the large parking lot next to my garage. It generated a lot of smiles and made ever effort worth it. He comes by every once in a while to see me and the cars, everytime he does, it makes me feel a little better that I can share what I have wih others.

Ciao and Forza Ferrari,
    Wes

7. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I'm happy to say that I was the first person to donate and to take a ride in a Ferrari. I did know about the event and I met the Dave and the others in Austin and we all drove to San Antonio in a convoy. I worked real hard to keep up in my Honda.
    I was the first person on the list and I couldn't have been happier to see Dana pull up in her BB512i. I have wanted to ride in that car ever since the first time I saw it. Thanks Dana. My second ride was with Tom in his 355B and my third ride was with Dave in his shark. I couldn't believe how new Dave's car looked and smelled. The leather seats looked and felt like no one had ever sat on them. The whole car had a new car smell. Very Bad-as$ ride Dave.
    It was good getting to meet all of you guys and gals. Everone was real nice.

Caro Mio Cavallino,
    I was the one in the Dallas Cowboys t-shirt with almost no hair and the black Oakley sunglasses. Can you please post one of the pictures of me inside one of the Ferraris? Thanks to everyone.

8. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    On the drive from Austin to SA I was the last Ferrari in the line. That little Honda stayed in my rear view mirror about 75% of the time.

How would you have liked to have been one of the folks in the campers beside the Blanco River at 7:45am on a Saturday morning when 13 Ferrari's came blasting past? That had to have been a rude awakening.

My favorite drive of the day was the first rider that I took that morning. It was a 5 year old boy that couldn't see over the dash. He found my hidden stereo system and remote control and was more impressed with that than the Ferrari. We got back to the dealership and he didn't want to give me my remote back. He had us listening to Usher's song called Yeah and we were both bobbing our heads up and down like a couple of gangsta's in a pose.

9. Caro Mio Cavallino

Feb 7, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Carrie
    #9 Caro Mio Cavallino, Apr 28, 2005
  10. Caro Mio Cavallino

Feb 7, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Carrie
    Outside the ferrari realm, there seems to be a stereotype that ferrari owners are stuck-up and materialistic, and it always makes me smile when one of y'all honestly proves that mindset totally wrong. In my work, and my dealings with the Ferrari club over the past couple years, I have been so privileged to meet and get to know this wonderful group of people.

Y'all truly are remarkable people, and thank you for that. :)

11. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Thanks Carrie,
    I guess the smile on my face says it all. I agree with you. These guys aren't stuck-up at all, they are some of the most friendly people I have met.

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This thread is awesome... You folks are awesome... i remember meeting Dana in 2003, at the Ferrari French Quarter Classic... She's awesome... i met Mandi at Road Atlanta and got her autograph... She's awesome... But most of all, those kids are awesome... Really awesome... Thanks for sharing the story and pictures...

13. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #15 Scuderia-San-Antonio, Apr 28, 2005
    See pic
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Caro Mio Cavallino

Feb 7, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Carrie
    You mean to tell me you're really a good guy?? ;)

Wes, thanks for posting that photo. Have you gotten in touch with our local Make-A-Wish chapter? If not, I can introduce ya. They are always looking for volunteers. :)

15. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Carbon's word of the week must be awesome. Way to go south Texas crew!

16. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...Barrett crew was simply awesome, we had all the fun giving rides and meeting neat kids and adults, these guys worked all the details and logistics, Kudos to this dealership and its people! A class act...

17. Challenge Stradale

Challenge Stradale Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    SOBE!!!!!
    Full Name:
    M.A.A.R.
    I had a lot of fun she is really nice and funny... Iam glad i came to the event!!!`

18. Challenge Stradale

Feb 28, 2005
    SOBE!!!!!
    Full Name:
    M.A.A.R.
    Hey Mike can u send me all my pics to my email is [email protected] please thanx

19. Challenge Stradale

Feb 28, 2005
    SOBE!!!!!
    Full Name:
    M.A.A.R.

Hey can u send me all my pictures please to my email [email protected] thanx

20. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Done, Check your email

21. Mandy #19

Mandy #19 Rookie

Nov 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Mandy Williams Reimert
    as you know, the Make-A-Wish Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to granting the special wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses. I am confident that anyone who was involved with this event now understands the true power of a wish ... the real power of a “wish come true” is not just about getting to meet a celebrity or venturing to an exotic place. The true power of a wish lies in its ability to give a child back what a life-threatening illness takes away – Laughter. Strength. Hope. And that makes the power of a Ferrari seem so small in comparison.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for sharing the power of a wish.

22. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    All I can say is wow... you guys really did a lot of make their days that much brighter. :)