83 308qv smog questions | FerrariChat

83 308qv smog questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bullfighter, Apr 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A couple of very nice '83 308GTS qv's are coming on the market, and as a Californian considering an out of state car, I have a couple of concerns before buying one of these.

Does the dual cat, air pump arrangement make it difficult to get the car smogged in CA? (Compared to the O2 sensor/single cat '84-'85 cars?)

Is this arrangement, with the extra pump, a maintenance headache?

If I have to replace 1 or 2 cat converters, how big a job is it - and are these parts available - and should I take out a second mortgage now or later?

I'm leaning toward waiting for a later 3x8, but frankly I like the 308's the best and I'm thinking of taking a look at these.

Thanks!

J

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    J
    All the injected cars pass emissions easily as long as all the parts are there and functioning. I believe the air pump can be replaced with a GM unit at minimal cost. The 84-85 cars are generally considered better and are actually rated at 5 more HP, not that it matters much. They also began serious rust proofing in 84 which can be a big plus. Body color A pillars are nice, too. Early 83's came with 390 wheels which is a big minus IMO. Original 16 in QV wheels are hard to find and pretty expensive.

Dave

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, the 5hp isn't a big deal, but the rustproofing is. I'll find out if they're early cars with the 390 wheels.

I hadn't noticed the blacked out A-pillars, but now that you point it out it's pretty obvious...

Thanks!