Anyone had any problem with movers/unpackers taking things? | FerrariChat

Anyone had any problem with movers/unpackers taking things?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Apr 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Heres the deal. A week before all our stuff came over from the UK, i showed my friend my airgun. So i know that i had it before the stuff came. A few days after these guys had moved all the stuff to the basement, i decide to take out my airgun. Go downstairs (all the stuff was in the basement) and its gone. I remember where i left it but looked everywhere else. No luck. My gun is gone and i'm convinced the packing people took it. I know i'm jumping to conclusions with no proof but i can't find it anywhere. I've looked around the whole basement, garage and everything. I asked my parents if they hid it or anything. Nope. It would be easy for these guys to take it. They could just stash it in all that trash paper they take away. Its anoying though because i can't do anything since i have no real proof that they took it. Even though i know they did. My dad said he'll call them up and ask if they moved it or anything and see what they say. That'll also give them the hint that i know its missing. Is there some insurance claim i can fill out for stolen goods? I just don't know why they took the gun when there was tons of other much more expensive stuff down there. I'm more angry than anything else. I'm really not fussed about the gun since i can buy another one but mad about the fact that we let these guys into our house and they took advantage of us.

Ideas?

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Pretty common. Movers are the biggest crooks aside from car dealers. My cousin had his whole house shifted from Los Gatos, CA over to NC when he got a job at BofA. He used them, knowing it was no big deal, that the company offered to pay (his new boss).

20% of stuff was damaged, 2 plasma TV was stolen. They claimed to not have picked it up.

I remember 1.5-2 years ago watching a Dateline/20/20/Jon Stossel thing (don't remember which), where they did a report showing movers in NYC/NJ area and what big thieves these people were. They would quote you XX amount of dollars, after they took your stuff, and was supposed to deliver to your new house, they would ask for more $$ and keep your stuff hostage.

Its like the new mob.

Stay away from movers. I rather throw my stuff away, then ever use these punks.

Ambulance chasing unethical Lawyers>movers, if that says anything.

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    moving people = otherwise unemployable thieves who aren't smart enough to be carnival workers

If your airgun is all that they stole then you got off pretty easy. I have always moved my own stuff but a few of my coworkers have the moving companies do it and it seems like there are always problems. We always get briefings before we move and 90% of it is explanations on how to document everything to help prevent the moving people from stealing stuff. For instance, it is not enough to have the movers sign off on a sealed box of your DVD's, you must have them sign off a complete inventory to have any kind of recourse. A friend just had about half of his DVDs stolen during the last move and he was basically out of luck.

4. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    We have friends in the military, and when they moved they expected to loose the nice stuff. Also, the movers would ask what they wanted broken, either for the cash or to upgrade. Shame really.

The military has it's heros, but it has a dark underbelly too.

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    "moving people = otherwise unemployable thieves who aren't smart enough to be carnival workers" Exactly, Mark PDX.

The solution to your problem may lie in the following story. I got onto an elevator in my (then) office building in Manhattan a number of years ago, where two young suits were talking; one was explaining to the other about this well-known mafia chieftain who feigned insanity, walking around mumbling in the streets of the Village (YMCA!) but running a crime empire just the same. The talker could not remember the mobster's name, however. He was trying to pronounce it, when i turned to him, wearing dark sunglasses, a dark overcoat slung, Euro-style over my shoulders, and hair below my shoulders, and said, "Excuse me, I think you are referring to my uncle. Vincent Gigante. Please do not say anything disparaging about him in my presence." The elevator doors opened into the lobby and i stepped off. I think they are still there....