Anyone ever changed their own oil on a 355? | FerrariChat

Anyone ever changed their own oil on a 355?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by TTG, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Here's the deal...I am due for an oil change and would like to do it myself with someone who has done it before...I have the lift and the oil drain unit in my garage so it should be easy...I did the oil changes on my 328 and it was cool to just tinker in the garage. I could read the manual but that's just a pain in the a$$ and something always goes wrong like draining the trans fluid instead, etc...

Actually I just think it would be fun to have one of the guys or better yet a group of guys come over and just show me one time so I can do it here on out...afterwards we could go driving, play cards, eat paint chips or whatever.

Weekday or weekend

Anyone?

Thanks!

Todd

2. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    On the 355, just make sure to drain the oil out of both drain plugs, otherwise, you will only get half of the old oil out. It is difficult to explain where this is, but the owners manual should point out the location.

If no one else, responds, I will draw a diagram for you and post it later this evening.

This is not a difficult operation, but plan on getting messy, because if the car is even remotely warm, the oil from this secondary plug can spray all over the place when you remove the plug.

David

3. jakes-gto

jakes-gto Karting

Jan 18, 2005
    Tied to a chair
    Full Name:
    Buddy Ackerman
    If you run the car to put it on a lift, find something else to do and let it chill or get the "Valdez effect".

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I know some people extoll the virtues of Whale Oil, but I've found my 308 just likes Extra Virgin Olive Oil....20w50.

It's an Italian thing. ;)

5. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Todd,

This is freaking classic!!! You own a $130,000 car but you are going to change your own oil??? I'll tell you what..... I will pay for the oil change for you. I would hate to see you do something wrong and you fry your engine!!

Scott

6. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    I actually liked doing it myself on the 328...It is kinda like therapy...plus it makes feel like I have a clue about my car...plus it's such a friggin hassle dropping the car off, getting a ride back, etc...I could just raise the lift and take my time while watching tv and having a glass of wine or 2 or 6.

I heard the 355 was a little more difficult than the 328 so that's why I wanted to have a little gathering...if someone shows me once in front of me I can just do it myself for the rest of my life.

did you get the crotch rocket yet?

Thanks for the responses guys.

TTG

7. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The crotch rocket is here. I'm waiting for this friggin weather to get better. So far so good though, no crashes yet..... The wife is pissed but that's life....

We need to do dinner soon!!

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

T - I dont have any 355 experience, but I have a b!tchin set of tools. Oh and I love paint chips too!

9. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

After getting it up on the lift you will need to remove the undertray in front of the rear air dams.
    Phillips, 8mm nuts, and 4 allen screws.

Now you will be able to access the 12mm allen drain plug and the 22MM bolt at the oil tank.

Getting the filter off might be a bit tricky depending on what tools you have.
    The Official Ferrari oil filter cup is like $120.
    You might be able to use a strap wrench.

Good Luck to you.

10. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
  11. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Thanks dude...this just confirms my point...someone that knows what they are doing needs to show me the first time:

The 355 is one of the more difficult and easy to overfill cars Ferrari has produced when it comes to changing the oil. First the undertrays must be removed to access the drain plugs. There is a drain plug on the engine and one on the oil tank. Drain both of them and change the oil filter. We prefer to use the Filter supplied by Ferrari and because of the hydraulic valve lifters prefer to stay with the Shell Helix oil which has to be purchased from a Ferrari dealer. If you can find it from an outside supplier I would love to hear where. When filling the oil system add 8 litters of oil to the oil tank. The engine should be run 30 minutes before you get an accurate reading at the dipstick. If you find it slightly above the minimum line I would not add any more oil. The 355 has a very sensitive oil system and if the level is brought up to the full line the car will force some of the oil out creating a smoking situation. I would recommend because of the complexity of changing the 355 oil, seeing if whoever services your 355 would agree to work with you the first time.

I appreciate the tips but I know myself...this will turn into a nightmare if I try this myself by just reading directions.

12. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    TODD

I WILL HELP YOU IF OZZIE AND THE BRIGHTON BEACH POLAR BEAR CLUB WILL BE THERE..

BRUCE

13. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

Just don't offer to drive the 355 onto the lift.... :)

J/K !!

14. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger

Dude, You know the drill...Slick shot, lube job, blues clues and the whole team will be there...you be da dog, yo.

15. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Todd,
    I didn't post a diagram, because I couldn't find a good picture of where to locate the drain plug on the engine after removing the passenger-side undertray.

I would agree with having someone show you where the stuff is on a lift before doing it yourself, because you have to reach up between the engine tray trusses to get at the engine drain plug - relatively easy once you know where to look.

FYI, I like changing my oil on my other cars, but I leave the 355 and TR to the mechanic - almost every time without fail they get oil all over the place, between pulling plug/s or pulling the filter/s. Better it be someone else's garage floor and not my own.

Best of luck.
    David

16. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Thanks Dave...now I'm really curious. We'll see...if I can't get anyone to show me how to do it I will just bring the car to the closest certified mechanic...or maybe I can talk him into coming over my house!

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Guys,
    Last year during one of our runs/visits....didn't one of the Ferrari houses mention they wanted us over to show us basic maintenance on our cars? Oil changes & such. Somebody offered & we never took them up on it. Anyone remember?

18. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Problem solved...Bryan Vignale of Independent Motor Works in Short Hills is coming over my house to show me the routine...Very cool if you ask me!

Thanks guys.

Todd

19. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT ASK HIM ABOUT HIS MARRIAGE...................

20. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    ...too late :)

21. ultgar

ultgar Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve D'Gerolamo
    You can probably buy the same oil through Quaker State these days....see http://www.shellglobalsolutions.com/impact/pdfs/4_2004/news.pdf . SD

22. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Just an FYI....Bryan Vignale of Independent Motor Works is coming to my house this Wednesday after work to show me how to change my oil...If anyone is interested in coming over you are welcome...cocktails from the Gin Mill are also served!

23. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

TOOK HIM ALMOST 2 MONTHS TO COME TO YOUR HOUSE??

HMMM, THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO UM...........

24. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger

3 weeks...actually...pretty darn good b/c an not here 1/2 the time

25. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore