Auto Appraisal | FerrariChat

Auto Appraisal

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ScuderiaRossa, Apr 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Has anyone used an auto appraisal company (for classic and/or collectible cars) here in the tri-state area for insurance purposes? Thanks.

2. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Noah?

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HEY LEN

ASK JAMES G

BRUCE

4. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Hi Bruce. Will check with James. Just bought a '74 3.0 CS and was thinking about insuring it with my regular company, Liberty Mutual, as an antique. No mileage limit, and the rate is pretty close to Leyland West's quote. The only catch is that I need an independent appraisal to determine value. Its not a Ferrari, but I've always wanted one. Will post pics soon, picking it up this weekend.

5. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Sorry...my insurance company used only very specialized, sophisticated, and industry-mandated tools and techniques to appraise the value of my vehicles.

eBay.

And I'm not kidding.

nlh

6. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    That's crazy! Then again the insurance business is nuts to begin with...

Len, try Grundy as well. I've found from experience that they're less expensive and more flexible on their policies than Leland West. I know for a fact that they're cheaper than Liberty Mutual...especially if you're insuring in NJ.

Also make sure that you have an agreed value policy, which I'm not sure Liberty will write.

Looking forward to seeing the Pics.

7. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Atleast thats better then P-chops company who used you to appraise the vehicles. :)

8. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    34k documented miles, pretty much factory stock except for upgraded Weber carbs, Bilsteins all the way around, and breakerless ignition. Interior 9.5/10, paint 9/10. Even met the original owner, a BMW dealer who bought the car for himself back in '74!

9. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Nice lookin' example Len. Congrats on picking her up in such great condition...

10. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Looks great!

11. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Thanks. Never had a carbed car, except for an early '80s Tercel! The Webers sound great!

12. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    993GUY, Liberty Mutual will write an agreed value policy, for a very good price, by the way, but they want an independent appraisal.

13. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Len... beautiful 3.0 - Ive always like them. Yours is obviously pristine.

I use American Collectors Inc for an agreed value policy. They have some limitations on usage, and luckily Ive never filed a claim with them, but shld be worth your while to call for a quote. They are based in South Jersey.

856 779-7212

Good luck!

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Len, looks like you found a great example, after a long search. Is that ice blue exterior? It looks very well cared for or restored.

Why not call Haggerty, they do ageed value and have no mileage limits. You also might want to check on the 328 with them as well. I have 3 vehicles insured w/ them and it's very reasonable.

15. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Hi Dave. Its called Fjord blue. The paint is original below the chrome belt line. Glass out, stripped repaint above. BMW factory metallic paint had an inherent crazing problem. Can I call you this weekend?

16. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Very nice 3.0 CS! I had a '72 Bavaria back when dirt was still young and it was a great car. The CS always been one of my favorites and good ones are increasingly hard to find. US versions with sunroof and leather interior are the ones to have. Prices have stayed reasonable I think. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

John

17. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Its a keeper, so I paid top dollar for big bumper CS. Less than $25K though.

18. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    One of my favorite cars. I drove one back in the mid 80's. My cousin had one back in the mid 70's. Great car. Classic design that never ages. Your rims look like the ones that BMW used on the 328 in 1978? Are they stock? Could of sworn they were different on the 74 CSI.

19. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Len,

Congrats on a beautiful car! It'll compliment the GTB beautifully! :)

20. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Thanks guys. One more car to wash, polish, etc. Why do we do this to ourselves! I know why, because I went to see the new 3 series yesterday and thought I was staring at a Toyota! Thank God for Bangle, he'll keep me buying older cars!

I Augustine! How have you been? How's Josie? Hopefully we'll catch up this summer. Thinking about going to that Scarsdale car show, and will probably attend the Pocono event in June.

21. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Gary, yes the rims are stock and original, including the spare tire. Its funny to see the casting marks on them; state-of-the-art production technology at the time I suppose...