HELP buying 355 | FerrariChat

HELP buying 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Niteroi, Apr 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    I'm looking at a 99 355 GTS manual trans, red/black, racing seats, tubi, the owner is a guy called Jason Ruben, her in Los Angeles area.

Anybody know the car?

It has 17,000 miles and comes with 30k service and extended warranty.

The asking price is $87k, what you guys think?

It's going to be my first F-car and I'd really appreciate your help.

Thank!!

Del.

2. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Assuming that it was well maintained and passes a PPI, the price is reasonable. The fact that its a 99' (the preferred year), has an extended warranty (repairs are expensive) and has the 30k service (costs $8000) add a lot of value. The seats and Tubi, although nice, do not impact the value very much. Good luck! Tim

3. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    I'm going to have FoBH do a PPI this week. They've sold this car new and all maintenance was done by them. They also told me the car had a minor accident on the rear end and they replaced all the parts... I asked for a copy of the service papers to see the extent of the damage.

I guess the car had some track use, they say only in special events for clients...

I've seen here so many discussions about garage queens vs daily drivers that I can't make up my mind if this car is good or not! That's why I need help from you guys!!

4. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The accident helps explain the reasonable price. Do your homework! Make certain that the repairs were done properly and by a very qualified shop. Ask lots of questions and be certain to review all paperwork. If everything checks out, negotiate a slightly lower price, and go for it. Tim

5. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Is it safe to have the dealer that is selling the car do the PPI?

6. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    No to PPI done by same dealer. The other thing is I think the accident issue is huge. Some day you will sell the car and you may be sorry IMHO.

7. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Who would you recommend for the PPI in LA area? Any idea of how much it costs?

8. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Depends on how extensive the PPI is and by whom. Your in L.A. authorized dealers/independent shops are a dime a dozen. Inquire in the California region section and/or do a search. The information you seek is at your finger tips ("search - PPI Los Angelas"), if you don't want to wait for a response.

9. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    The guys from FoBH told me a PPI with compression test e etc will cost me around $800! Isn't it too much?

Also, the car was fixed by Dave Freed at Premier Motorsports, anybody know him?

10. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

Tillack charged me 350 for my PPI, and that included a leak down test, 800 is way to much

Premier is the place to get your repairs done in L.A. im getting ready to take my 348 there

id be curious how much the car was tracked, was it 2 or 3 track days or was it alot more?

11. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Where's Tillack, do you have his phone #?

Called Black Horse today and they do the PPI for $500. $350 sounds even better!

I guess it's going to be hard to find out more about the track use, actually I first saw the car at the service building and one of the mechanics didn't know I was interested in the car and told me the owner used it on th track, then I asked the sales manager about it and he told me it was only a couple of times in special events...

Again, his name is Jason Rubin, anybody know him?

12. srwhitman

srwhitman Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Whitman
    I was looking at a car at Ferrari of Orange County. Do not take it to them or BH for a PPI. Try Eugenio for a PPI: http://emelbon.tripod.com/eugeniosferrariservice.html
    I've heard good things about him and I spoke to him quite a long time when I was considering purchasing a car down south (in your area).
    The price seems good - maybe a little too good if only because of the accident. Then again, its a starting point. If the accident was body damage and nothing more, you may be ok. Definitely get the service record and in particular the receipt from the body shop. It better have cost them in the many thousands to fix it. If not, then they did a cheap job.

My $0.02.

Scott

13. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

Scott is correct, If you can get in at Eugenios that is the best choice, Eugenio does excellent work and is also a very cool guy, for service i wouldnt take my baby anywhere else

Tillack and Blackhorse are both very good, Tillacks # is 310-318-8760, Craig the service manager