A Look in from the Outside. | FerrariChat

A Look in from the Outside.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, Apr 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You know, sometimes I sit back and look at a common thing and all the sudden I can see it in a whole different way. Like when I was a kid, sometimes a common word would hit my ears and just sound odd. I'd turn it over and over in my brain and it would sound odder and odder.....Know what I mean?

Anyway, The whole idea of SUVs is so common now, we just take it for granted and don't even notice them, but....

What struck me a few days ago is how outrageous it is that somehow women are driving big trucks! Just think back 10 or 15 or 20 years ago and think what a ludicrous idea it would be for a sophisticated woman to drive a big truck...and now you see the orthodontist's (substitute urologist if you want) wife driving a huge Cadillac truck. On purpose. Not feeling the least silly. Or embarrassed. Or anything!

They are all over the place. In real trucks. Millions of them. Not noticing how odd that is from the outside. Imagine your mom being caught dead in a truck!!! Wouldn't have happened in a million years.

Who was the GENIUS who figured out how to advertise to these women and hoodwink them into driving trucks that the previous generation would be shocked by?

Its so common now that no one even notices the irony of this situation: the more sophisticated a woman fancies herself, the bigger and more unwieldy a truck she is likely to drive.

Who ever the Ad-Man is that generated this deserves to be Mega-wealthy.

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    My only ***** about women driving them is that I can no longer look down and get full view of their magnificent breasts.

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Some of the "fashion" aspects of this originate with the Hummer 1 in LA, back when Schwartznegger was creating fiction for big money rather than a pittance. The scene was chicks driving hummers smoking cigars.
    At some point, you are right, the idea of "safety" caught on, but in reality, it's about pushing back- i may be a diminutive woman in other respects, but i can climb up your ass large on the highway, talk on my cellphone nonstop and still drink my decaf/skim/soymilk/carmel/machiato/latte. Until quite recently, it was an arm's race to the next biggest vehicle- My Armada, Sequoia, Flotilla just ain't large enough (or "safe" enough), i think i need an extended Excursion. The killer (literally) for me is the utter absurdity of concluding that since X is not such a great driver, it makes sense for her to drive an even bigger, more unwieldy truck to the market/school/work/whatever. But, I hate these things and always will- not to pass judgement on people that have a legitimate need for a truck- but i have to fight my way thru a veritable fleet of these things every morning commuting to the city, with a single occupant- the driver. The thing that also gets me is that, despite all the justifications- need space for kids, "safer," i "haul" alot of ***** (yeah, from the mall, right?) these drivers have been sold a bill of goods- things suck to drive, eat gas, are nasty to look at, aren't really that comfortable, but given the state of car design from the big three, i guess it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that the car manufacturers have been more than willing to fulfill by neglecting car design. I'm not talking save the whales here, or going 'green,' just that a well designed car (or station wagon) with all wheel drive can do 90% of what these faux luxo-barges are bought for, and aren't as big, ugly or unwieldy. We really are suckers, aren't we...

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    And somebody was a genius that got them to do this un-natural thing.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    If it wasn't for SUV's, F and GM would have died a decade ago...

6. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    SUV's have been the death of some cool cars. Because people with 30 - 40 k went and bought SUVs. They saftey thing is a myth, they stop slower and are top heavy which makes them prone to roll overs (we already know that).

They suck gas, and I dont think Hybrid technology will work in an SUV. Its to big and heavy to really make the extra cost worth it. Suv stands for: Stupid Ugly Vehicle. And who wants to own an SUV like this, with a cramped third row seat. Buy a Wagon or a van if you need that much room. They say like 98% of suvs never ever go off road in there life time. Which was the original concept with the Jeeps and such. Something with go anywhere capability. Some where that vision was lost.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Which means that used Ferraris will probably keep ending up in the hands of enthusiats. Sounds like a winning situation to me.

8. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Maybe you just need a bigger truck...

9. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Uro,

Did you have this thought while your wife (the Urologists wife) was driving a big honking Tundra 4 door truck?

Bill
    The more I read your posts, the more I agree with them. Right on.

10. resident

resident Rookie

Mar 16, 2005
  11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    No, but she drives a Pilot which is a big truck, why not a sleek coupe or a fast sedan like women drove in the '50s, 60s, 70s and 80s?? You just don't see that much.

12. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    It is the image the media has created, women after a certain age have to drive big SUVs. Its like some sort of hormone exists that after a certain age they start hankering for SUVs. Why not get a sleek wagon of some form that has space, but is also fun to drive and not a moving road hazard.

13. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The Pilot is big? Good thing you don't live in Texas anymore. I guess size is relative.

I think married women with kids drive the suvs and vans and trucks. I know younger single women wouldn't be caught dead in those (most that I know). They all like the Mini Coopers, miatas, VW Jettas, Audi TT, BMW Z3/Z4, and Porsche Boxters.

Maybe you need to move?

14. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    yeah, relatively; interior volume of a Tahoe.

Still the point is picturing your old auntie driving a truck, or your grandma in one, simply incongruent.

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Whoa... seriously? It doesn't give that impression, it appears to be somewhat smaller.

16. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Great packaging. Really nice and solid.

17. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Uro,

I speak for thousands when I say...

Would you PLEASE by an freaking Ferrari already?

18. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Veering off topic, I saw one of the new Honda clones of the Chevy Avalanche. I forget what they're calling it. They will sell a TON of them.

Edit, calling it a clone doesn't do it justice. They are going to do to to the Avalanche what they did to the minivan market. They didn't invent minivans, but made them 10 times better.

19. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Nah... he'd be robbing so many people of their schtick (including himself.) :)

20. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    Ridgeline, its Hondas first truck. I am sure their next attempt will be better. I personally think it looks ugly as sin.

21. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yeah, but it looks really functional. We should start a new thread.

22. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    Yes.

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    They don't. Jags and Benz coupes.