Oil temp problem | FerrariChat

Oil temp problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by vlamgat, May 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    The car is a 512TR: when at idle the gauge functions normally. As soon as the engine revs past say 1200, the reading drops to the left peg, or effectively no reading. I have checked the sender unit which shows a 100 ohm resistance at ambient, same as a new one.

I think I have a ground problem - does anyone know how to find the part# on the wiring diagram?

Any suggestions?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did you check for broken wires?

3. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004

Very good question !! There is no sign that the wires are damaged at all as the rubber protective sleeve extends about 15 cms above the plug. When I peeled back the rubber seal over the plug, the crimped connectors looked good too. But a ferrari dealer tech has warned me that these wires can break internally because of their heat exposure. This may also explain why the gauge works when the alternator output may be lower at idle permitting the current to flow at the higher resistance of an internally broken wire. So I have to do some continuity testing tonight.

Another suggestion he has made is much more demanding to find which is a breakeage in connectors between one of the 4 circuit boards that constitues the fuse and relay panel. testing those will be beyond my skill and confidence.

Thanks for your response though - you might be on the numbers.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey no problem. I don't own a TR but with my 348 a broken was the culprit with a few things. You may also want to have a look at the connection on the back of the oil temp gauge.