disassembling a Kyosho - how to? | FerrariChat

disassembling a Kyosho - how to?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bigodino, May 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Currently I'm modifying a Kyosho 308 GTB into a GTS. I've got a donor car for several parts (an Anson 328 GTS). Now I tried to disassemble the Kyosho but after unscrewing a lot of screws I still got nowhere. The body doesn't come off the chassis and interior. I really wanted to paint the interior and get easier access to the side quarter panels (where the louvres from the 328 GTS will fit).

Anyone any ideas how to completely disassemble this model? Thanks.

Ciao, Peter

2. cavallinomodels

cavallinomodels Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    USA
    #2 cavallinomodels, May 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Peter,

I believe there is another screw under the spare tire.

picture of the model we did.

www.cavallinomodels.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You cut the roof but left the GTB rear quarter louvers... and shouldn't the armrests be black?

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Is the spare tire glued down, or does it pop out?

By the way, I didn't mean to be critical in my previous post... overall that's a nice conversion!

5. cavallinomodels

Feb 2, 2004
    USA
    Unfortunately no one sells rear quarter louvers to replace the ones that are there.

www.cavallinomodels.com

6. cavallinomodels

Feb 2, 2004
    USA
    No it is not glued, it will pop out.

I wish some one will come out with different spare parts for 1/18 scale models to make conversions.

www.cavallinomodels.com

7. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the tip and your conversion looks really nice! Was the interior allready tan or did you paint it yourself? Same for the carpet, nice.

As said I bought a donor car (for 10 euro) for the rear quarter louvres. It seems the only way to correctly convert this detail (I didn't know how to make these louvres from scratch).

8. cavallinomodels

Feb 2, 2004
    USA

The interior used to be black, so it was painted tan. We used carpet for the floor area.

Anson 328 rear quarter loovers are too big, we tried using them before.

www.cavallinomodels.com

9. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I bought a 308 and a 550 from CM in Jan and they know what they are talking about.

I could not have been more pleased. The 550 was for a fellow f-chatter and they got his car spot on. My 308 was a little off being that the model was a euro and my car is US but I was informed of this a head of time so it was not an issue or a suprise.

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That would be nice! Any tips on getting the spare to "pop out"? Does the washer fluid reservior have to come out first or anything else disassembled on the car? I don't want to break anything. I thought it was strange that Kyosho didn't match the correct wheel type for the spare, and I'd like to swap it out on mine.

11. cavallinomodels

Feb 2, 2004
    USA
    Mike,

Kyosho models are the hardest to work with. Some parts break when taking apart. You have to be very careful. Sometimes we use 2 or 3 models to make 1 for a customer. I believe the spare should just pop out.

Rita
    www.cavallinomodels.com

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Darn, I saw the thread too late, because I just did that: Took a Kyosho 308 QV apart to mod it into a 308 GT4 LM. There are tons of little screws. You start with removing the front and the rear fender sections. Then you can access and remove the center piece. Then finally the cabin separates from the body. The spare pops out, but as Cavallinomodels said, there is stuff that is glued, but nothing too dramatic. Most annoying are the little cables in the engine compartment that get torn apart.

For me the hardest part of any conversion are the wheels (not in this case something to change). More often I have to use brute force to get some off and epoxy to put new ones on. Of course then they no longer turn, but as I've seen in professionally built models, that's just often how it is done.

PS: Some 348 models came with a tool kit. I use a couple of those to represent the Schedoni luggage set for the 308. Fits into the trunk.
    :)

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Thanks for the replies. Andreas, it's that extra wheel that you sent me that I want to use as the proper spare.

Mike

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I remember.

As a general tip to everybody doing these mods: Keep the donor car/parts in a box. You never know what future projects you might do where you just need that one particular part.

PS: If anybody has a spare mirror from a Daytona or 246 GTS. I'd be happy to have one. My Kyosho Daytona arrived with a broken one...
    :(

15. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Peter is parting out his 328 Anson :D:D:D:D:D Love it..
    I just got my loooong waiting 328 bonnet from this guy....THANX!!!!!! ;);););)
    So now I can complete my 328 collection, red, yellow and black :D

Thanx again Peter, you really made my day ;)

(this is what Fchat is all about.....helping eachother out):):):)

Sorry Andreas, but I cant help you with your missing mirror :( (wish I could)

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Well, so long as you don't set fire to the bonnet I'm glad to help you out. ;-)

17. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    HAHA - no dont worry buddy ;)
    My 328's are way too expensive to set on fire!! :)

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Sounds interesting! Do you have any pictures? I've been thinking about a 308 GTB/M (using a Stratos as donor car) but maybe over my head right now.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hehe, silly minds think alike.

Doing a 308 GTB Michelotto is one of my next projects. Stratos will be a donor car. Maybe we could work together on the decal set? Did you see my request for Michelotto pics thread?

I'll post some pics about the LM mod soon. I have taken pictures throughout the project, which has taken me several weeks already. Currently doing the final paint fixes, but car is completely assembled again. The final result is not quite what it should be, but it certainly was a fun and unusual project.

20. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Let me know if you need further help with the Kyosho product. I know them from the President on down. They are great people and very supportive.

21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the offer. Could you ask them to bring out a 308 GTB/M? Would save me a lot of work! ;-)
    Serious though, I'm going to disassemble my model tomorrow. If I don't succeed I'll be very happy with any help from Kyosho.

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Funny you should ask! I looked through their catalog last week at the hobby show in Vegas for 308's and they do not have them. :(

23. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'm looking forward to seeing them!!

24. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've managed to completely disassemble my Kyosho 308! Thanks for the input guys. Now I can go and paint the chairs. The roof is allready cut out. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

Ciao, Peter

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Alrighty then!

However if it was only about painting the chairs, you didn't need to disassemble it for that, especially if you cut the roof. Even if you couldn't get to them from all angles, you could simply take them out for painting.

I transferred a 360 into a CS and painted the red trim for the dashboard without disassembly. Just by attacking the dash from different angles with a brush. Maybe I should try building ships in bottles?
    :)