250 GTO at Crystal Cove Real or ? | FerrariChat

250 GTO at Crystal Cove Real or ?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Marc G, Apr 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marc G

Marc G Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Was the 250 GTO at CC this morning real or ? Cool Kit Car? I was told it was built by DK Enginering in England. Looked and Sounded Real. A Piker Car?

Marc

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Faux. Worth about $300K or so someone said. The real deal would have been worth in the millions.

3. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Other than the wheels, it looked so real.

Is it based on a Ferrari? or a full replica? It had a Ferrari VIN plate, too. $300k is not much compare to $8.5MM (+/-) for the real one, but why spend $$$ on a fake one? I rather spend that money on a real Merc. SL300 Gullwing or other classics, IMO.

But a beautiful car though. Some people don't like 250 GTO's in the pictures, but in person they are spectecular cars.

Beginning of the month, at the California Speedway, I was driving through the paddock area and almost ran into a red 250 GTO. That would've been real bad.... Can you imagine hitting 250 GTO with your car? ;)

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Can you imagine hearing from your insurance and the other owners they aren't covering the damage?

Sunny

5. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  6. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    IMO, that 250 GTO looks so real and gorgeous.... so beauty that it doesn't matter weather it's real or not. It meets the standard of the original. I have so much pleasure out of looking at my printing of Monet's hanging on my living room wall. And it's been 10 years. You know how suffer I would be if I determine to get that particular real Monet. Probably have to talk to the French Gov't. My point is if it's that good: It's time to enjoy it. For $300,000 is a real bargain for that one...IMO

7. LARRY ALDERSON

Apr 3, 2004
    LOS ALAMITOS, CALIF
    Full Name:
    LARRY ALDERSON
    Well folks it is a DK engineering car,however here is the story on the car. It was built for Paul Vestley in England to dublicate his original s/n 4115. Some of the parts are real GTO ie: seats,gauges,trans. The motor is GTO spec with dry sump system. It was made so perfect that he was then able to race it instead of his original for the next three years in Europe without anyone realizing it was not the original. The cost of the build was 880,000 pounds. After he got his hand slapped he sold the car to Movie director John Calley who had it shipped to Victoria Island Canada and repainted from red to silver. I then purchased the car from Calley. This is one exceptional car and rather then a rebodied 250 gte, i feel this car should be considered a tribute car. It now has provanance as it has race history and ever detail is exact to the original. It is a car that wil be able to race in vintage events and were most of us cannot afford a 10million GTO this allows us to experience something as close as possible to the original. Oh by the way it will take a number much higher then $300k to purchase as i really enjoy driving the car and really don't want to sell any time soon.

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well done Larry - and welcome to FChat.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sounds like a beautiful and special car. You have only carried on this car and that is great. Anyone in this day and age that destroys a 250 GTE to make a recreation should be shot! :) Same goes with parting a vintage Ferrari out.

10. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Larry,

Thanks for clearing that up. It is a beautiful car, and now it's nice to know what exactly it is (and isn't)....

Can you provide any details on the other 2 cars that showed up at Crystal Cove this past weekend?

Jay

11. JimiC

JimiC Rookie

Sep 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    James Cottingham
    There is hardly anything 250 GTE about that car, it had a completely new chassis frame made, identical in every respect to a GTO. the engine from the GTE was partly used but with GTO heads, crank etc..... then of course later on the identity from the GTE was used as a donor. David Cottingham (except for the run of 12 or so testorossa replicas he made in the 80's which were shortened GTE's with a TRC looking body but with little tweeks to his own design - i.e never meant to be an exact copy of anything) always believes in exact replicas detail for detail. If you're going to do something, do it properly!!

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    picture!!!!!

13. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Search for Crystal Cove about 6 months ago. It's silver.

14. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I saw that GTO in a parking lot and about had a heart attack. My friend could not figure out why I was so flabergasted. Untill I told him it was worth about 10 million dollars. But I guess its really only worth 1 million, chump change.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Worth about $50,000 to me. Less than the GTE it destroyed.

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Gee go easy there Rob, I saw that car in person, and I think they did a helluva job on it.

17. Sportscarnut

Sportscarnut Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Larry,

Didn't I see you at the VIP Anaheim show with that car ?

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I bet it is a great car and they could have spent close to 7 digits. I respect that they love the car. Just my personal opinion about original Ferraris. I would rather have an original GTE than a GTO recreation. I'm easy. :)

19. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    He was there with that car, yes.

And Rob, if you think of this as a GTE that isn't as aesthetically challenged, it'll grow on you. Wrecked GTE or one with extensive body damage that is rebuilt as a tribute car isn't much different than a Hamman or Novitec 360 or F430 really. Not everybody's cup of tea, but to each his own. Especially as a companion car to race instead of the real one he had. And this was done 20 years ago iirc. Not that I'd turn down a GTE, mind you, but this GTO is gorgeous.

20. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Why do you people torture me? PICS PLEASE!!!

21. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
  22. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  23. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    the flaw with this analogy is that you didn't have to destroy a real, but less valuable, Monet to get your print.

24. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Mark, glad to see you have WF back as your AVATAR>>>