PPI -- Stumped! :-o | FerrariChat

PPI -- Stumped! :-o

Discussion in '360/430' started by SoftwareDrone, May 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So the price of 120K for the Red/Tan Modena with every factory piece of carbon fiber known to man, F1, 20K miles, etc. seems fair. So I call the place where it was sold new and all the service has been done (Ferrari of Beverly Hills) and guess what? They don't do PPI's anymore. So I call Ferrari of Orange County - guess what? Same story? So what am I supposed to do here?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Go to the Socal section and ask for a name of shop or shops that are ,

1 Good
    2 Knowledgeable of 360's
    3 Equipped with an SD2

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Don't really have an answer for your dilemma -- but I have noticed this trend amongst Ferrari dealers recently...

4. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've had good luck with Auto Gallery Service in Woodland Hills. I've read mixed things but can only speak from my experience. I've had my services done there, the 5k and belt service, and the prices were fair and the car was delivered on time.

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i think some dealers stopped doing PPI cuz they dont wanna get sued.
    for example they say car is ok, you buy it, something broke, you sue them because they did not catch it.

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I ended up passing on the '99 Red/Tan. Turns out that there is no such thing as factory carbon fiber for the [standard] Modenas. Plus the chrome wheels were horrid. Still looking...

7. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    Chris is exactly right. The Ferrari dealers used to do PPI's, more as a public service, to help out potential F-Car buyers. Avg. charge was around $400. just to cover the shop time. Then buyers would go drive for 2-3000 miles, something breaks, and they end up suing the dealer that performed the PPI, NOT the seller. A few guys ruined it for everyone.

There are some excellent independents that are still doing them, though.

8. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Seems very odd to me...

You'd think these dealerships would merely come up with a waiver that has the client agree that the dealership simply reviews the car and indicates what they found: that no warranty, guarantee is expressed, written or implied....it's strictly an inspection and that the "undersigned" agrees to these terms and that he dealership is in no way liable for any problems that may arise, blah, blah, blah....

Turning away work is just plain dumb. If a person is happy with the service, that dealership may find him a returning customer...whereas thier exclusion of performing PPI's will certainly drive customers to find alternative shops. Once the client finds that alternative shop...if they're happy....ya think they'll return to the Dealer$hip?

Oh wait....my bad, I'm trying to apply common sense and practical business conduct to something Ferrari-related. Nevermind.

Here's an idea....why don't we make our own "magic 8-ball" and just hold it over the car...it's probably just as good. ;)

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    There are a few places that you can take the car to to get the PPI done.

As someone already pointed out you can take it to the Auto Gallery, or you can go to one of these guys:

Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa, ask For Michael (949) 548-9541

Black Horse Motors, ask for Carl (310) 815-1957

Monaco Motors, ask for Wade (818) 704-1836

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I understand your point but just talk to a baby Doc sometime about malpractice Ins. If the kid isn't perfect lots of folks start looking for someone to blame. It's getting just as bad in the car business.

The other side of it is that the Ferrari world is a small one and if I go thumbs down on a car I have wound up with both sides hating me and they just spread it around. The buyer is pissed because he already had visions of riding around in his new car and I am now the antichrist for spoiling his plans and the seller thinks I'm an ******* for doing a thumbs down. I also know several cases where everybody got so pissed that they walked without paying for the inspection.

I have several people in the car sales bis in Norcal who think my name is Mudd and I get thrown under the bus for it. How good is that for bis?

Right now I am torn between getting my Lawyer to write up a new release and substantially raising the price or to just quit doing it altogether.