Newbie: 456 Auto, choices? Selling 3200GT | FerrariChat

Newbie: 456 Auto, choices? Selling 3200GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by agebhardt, May 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agebhardt

agebhardt Rookie

May 3, 2005
    Always been a lover of Grand Tourers, and the 456 certainly fits the bill. Prices appear to right at the moment too. Can anyone point me in the direction of some indipendant appraisal of the 456, what I really want to figure out is if I really need to buy a post-99 car or if I can get away with an older model.

I will be buying an automatic and will most probably be driving the car every day into work (as I currently do with the 3200, which I have owned for 3 years). I'd say 3000k a year of city driving and 4000k a year of motorway/A roads.

Cheers...

Andrew.

2. steve456

steve456 Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    in uk, south coast
    Full Name:
    steve
    andrew,
    i have just completed a six month search/research into the same question.

my conclusion is that i am buying a 95 456gt (manual) and spending 6k getting all the 'issues' sorted, and completing the cam-belt/valve service done, plus replacing all the hoses/joints etc, plus replacing the two front shocks that are leaking (on average, you will replace a pair of shocks every year at a cost of 1,500 gbp - although thats the initial cost of a new pair, after that you can get the old ones rebuilt at a cost of 200gbp in california) plus replacing all the tyres, and having wheels refurbed.

i basically spend six months researching all the problems here on f-chat, then started my quest of searching down every 456gt/gta in the uk and visiting/testing them.

the one thing i found, is that each car is hand built, and you must go over the car and test it thoroughly.

initially i wanted a gta, but having driven both, i am now getting a manual - the gta has no asr, so on damp roads it takes milliseconds to spin up through the gears automatically - to quick to react too - this has caught many a person out - and the addition of this on a post 99 auto would be the only justification to buy a later car.

whatever car you get, always get it checked out by a reputable independent. if you live in the uk, i can recommend some very good ones, and guide you away from the bad ones.

good luck, and have fun

steve

3. agebhardt

agebhardt Rookie

May 3, 2005
    Thanks for the information. I spoke breifly with a dealer who told me of some big problems with the side windows, apparently they do not close firmly against the B-Pillar with obvious consequences.

I didn't realise the early Autos had no slip control, I must say I wouldn't enjoy that too much on our water logged motorways!

I'd probably start reaserching this a little more thoroughly then!!

Cheers...

Andrew.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Have you asked this question already?:

How much is an (replacement) automatic transmission?

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is a fix for the side windows. Costs around $9k USD, but Ferrari did fix many cars under warranty, even when the warranties were expired. I don't believe that they will still fix them under warranty, in the US anyway.

In my car, with the fix, no problems with water leaking. And I live in Oregon, a very rainy area!

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    $9K? That's insane. What the hell could be so complicated about adjusting windows?

7. steve456

steve456 Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    in uk, south coast
    Full Name:
    steve
    that window 'fix' never worked . . . apparently you have to get the windows adjusted yearly (or more if you use the car a lot) as the windows are adjustable in three planes for a perfect fit . . bloody fiddly by all acounts, but as everyone keeps telling me 'you pay for the engine . . the rest is free, so don't moan'

ho hummm