Porsche Boxter or 88 911 coupe | FerrariChat

Porsche Boxter or 88 911 coupe

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ronsupercar, May 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Hi Guys,

I am not in anyway looking to betray my dreams and goals of Ferrari ownership. I am just considering looking into something fun for the summer.

Out of these two choices what is the best of the two. I do have two young kids so the 911 would be the best choice but the convertable Boxter is the way to go for the summer.

Take into consideration price of maintenance, performance and all around goodness.
    Let me know what you are thinking...

Ron

2. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Anyone, anyone ?

3. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Talk about apples and oranges. If you're looking real world information I'd say hit the guys up at www.pelicanparts.com in the forum section. They also have both types of those cars for sale in the for sale listings.

Also www.rennlist.com Be careful there... the 930 turbo section could sway you to a whole new can of beans...

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    What about a 911 cabriolet? Even if you have to go a little older than '88, you can get a nice 911 (so the kids can ride in the back) with a top that goes down (for real summer fun) and you can sell it later & get back every penny you paid for it.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The Boxster will depreciate a lot....the 911 will be a less painfull in that regard.

Boxtsers are great cars.......but they are the Cavalier of the Porsche world.

6. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    I have a Boxster that I am totally in love with. Having said that, I test drove a 911 slightly older than the one you have been looking at and I have been smitten ever since. If you want performance, modern convienence and are terribly worried about depreciation go for the Boxster. If something about the old 911's intrigues you, I say go that route...zero depreciation and rock solid reliabilty assuming you one that has been taken car of. As far as Boxsters being the cavalier of the Porsche, this is one of the stupidest comments I've ever read. Most PCA events I've been to are composed of two types of cars, Boxsters and pre-964 911's. You can guess who runs at the front.

7. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Two kids? buy the 911.

You'll use the car more. IMHO

Good luck

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    930 turbo with 5 speed.

9. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Thanks for the input. I like the lines of the 911 coupe. I don't care for the look of the top down on the older 911's.

Boxster's may be better but you see them everywhere. A good friend of mine has a boxster and he swears by them.

Found some really nice 911's for some reasonable prices. Clean looking but I don't know much about them. I do know that they are more user friendly then the Ferrari's as far as daily drivers are concerned.

The boxster S is the way to go but too expensive. (for what I want) I would rather get a 308 in that case.

Any more info?

Thanks

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

here here!

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    buy a used boxster s, it has already taken its hit... not as good as the new boxsters, but for 30-35k you can get a 2002 s with low miles..it handles better than the 911, great engine sound and will be faster than the old 911 and much more refined....the boxster gets no respect but actually is a better design than a rear engine 911....

12. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

What he said

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The Boxster has to be the most under-rated car I can call up off the top of my head.

It is a FANTASTIC chassis, that Porsche screwed up with too cushy springs and a motor that can only say "drop the damn 911 mill in me already and have a world-beater!"

That said, if you yern for a vintage 911, the Boxster won't scratch your itch. Conversely, if you're looking for a 'get-in-and-drive-me' excellent car, the 911 won't be your cup of tea either.

14. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Get one like mine!!! I promise you will love it!! Especially on the track, it is by far the most balanced car I've ever driven! I've owned 2 911's (91 c4 & 01 996) and the Boxster S handles better than both of them!

Although I have to say I wouldn't really have a problem with any of them, I just love the boxster!

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Don't buy either one. Get a Mondial instead. Same price, you don't give up the dream, and you can take the family along...

16. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    You certainly could buy a 308/328/mondial in a similiar price range....biggest question is would it be your daily driver or not? I use my Boxster as a Daily driver....

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Why not? I don't own a car that's not a Ferrari...

18. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I didn't say it was a problem, but then he has to factor in service/maitenance....

19. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    What are the differences between the Boxster, Boxster S and the 911 of the late 80's.

Is the regular Boxster with the less powerful engine a better car then the 911.

I know the S is the way to go, but how do the other two compare.

20. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Well the regular Boxster has between 205-217hp from 97-2004 and the S has 250hp. Feel free to correct me, but I believe that the 88 911 has around 215hp.

Handling wise the boxster's are better S or non S, power wise....hmm I'd say S, 911, reg boxster. The regular boxster and 911 would be fairly close. The S also comes with stiffer suspension, bigger cross drilled brakes, extra oil cooler, 6-speed.

I'd say the 911 will make better noises, but you can always work on that.

21. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Correct.

I'm getting there ($$$) but not there yet. I wouldn't mind a Mondial or a 308 GTB4 for that matter. maintenance is scary to me.

The car wouldn't be a daily driver. I do plan to drive it as much as I can the same way I will when the "real" car purchased. For now, it's just a great step to get a feel of owning an exotic and having a fun way to release stress without seeing a doctor.

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Find a car that has just been serviced, plan on spending $2k on stuff you find and keep $2k in reserve. Doesn't matter if its a GT4 or a Mondial.

23. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    This doesn't seem that bad, but a close friend (form this chatroom) recently traded his beautiful 85 308 for a NSX.

His car was a perfect example and yet he states that he is so happy with his new toy.

For the time that he's owned the 308 he put alots of money out of pocket to maintain and repair. Keep in mind his car was a perfect example and he did alot of the work himslef. I don't think I'm ready for that now.

I have a need for something fun.

24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the 308 is a lovely car and is really an event each time you drive it. the 911 is a bad azz that wants to be driven all the time...kinda like the pitcher in the bull pen that throws 90plus mph...put me in coach...let me blow em away!
    and you know he will!!!

911's are really the greatest all around sports car in history!! i have several ferraris and love them dearly...but i cannot do w/o my 930 as there is nothing like it!

all great choices however.

pcb

25. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron