Installed pedals yesterday-GEEZ what a PITA! | FerrariChat

Installed pedals yesterday-GEEZ what a PITA!

Discussion in '308/328' started by BigAl, May 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Installed a set of Ultimate Pedals yesterday. They look great and really dress up the interior (along with a DexM metal shift knob) but GEZZ, what a b**ch and a half installing them. My shoulder still hurts. Probably wouldn't have 20 years ago but it does now. I guess 20 years from now I'll have to hire someone to do it.
    Sorry no pics, haven't gotten around to replacing my camera.

2. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    they a make a HUGE differance in the looks ! congrats !

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I feel your pain Al............I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs. its a tight squeeze isn't it. You'll be happy with the results though. They look and feel great.

chas

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I just ordered a set from them for my Mondial QV. Any tips to make the job a little easier, other than paying someone to do it for me??

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Just make sure you buy a few new drill bits. Other than that it's very simple.

6. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I put in a set last spring while I had the seats out being treated with conditioner. I would not try to do it with the drivers seat in the car.

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Funny, I installed the "drill through" pedals on my 348 yesterday. Only tip I have is make sure you take two ibuprofen BEFORE you start.

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Chas, I'm 6-1 and 197 and I was grunting and groaning and almost cryin' by the time I was done, but yes they do look good.

Steve, unless you take the seat out, just plan on an all day job, then when you get done early and get back from physical therapy you'll feel you finshied early.

I should have taken some muscle relaxants and a beer chaser.

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The original pedals are hard steel. Don't try to do the drilling with a cordless drill... use a regular drill with lots of power and torque, and make sure you use a sharp (or new) drill bit. It took me about 45 minutes to install my set.

10. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I can certainly relate to your pain Al. I replaced the clutch cable on my GT4 once and it involved spending hours upside down on my back with my head and shoulders in the pedal box. Plus the steering joints really got in the way of doing anything with the clutch pedal.

11. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Uh...now THAT sounds like fun. Did you go to the chiropractor after?

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Same issue here.... get a BRAND NEW (or two) carbide bits and a big fat drill. Use a block of hardwood behind the pedals, and put some newspaper on the floor to catch all the metal shavings.

Be prepared to curse and moan. Once their installed, the look & feel is simply wonderful. No slipping, regardless of which shoes you're wearing!

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Here's a tip for drilling through hard steel. Center punch the hole, and use a center cutting single end mill, like you'd use in a milling machine, chucked up in your corded drill. Go slowly and let the mill do the work, and don't generate too much heat.

Whether you use a mill or a drill, you may find it easier to drill a smaller pilot hole at first, and then drill the pilot hole out to size.

--Matt

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Good point -- I did that and I'm sure it speeded things up.

15. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #15 348paul, May 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

A pilot drill is the only way to do it!

Taken from our installation guide:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow,

Now I am glad I had Ferrari of New England install them while the car was in for the oil service. It sounds like I would have had a fit trying to install them myself.

Alex

17. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Aw, come on Alex you missed all the fun! :)

18. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I did mine last spring using Paul's instructions and found the job pretty easy. Just wish I was Cirque du Soleil flexible when I did it :)

Kenny K.

19. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I also bought a set for my Pantera but will hold off until I get medical clearance from my physician.

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Steve,

On the Mondial, I found it was much easier to do from the passenger side by laying over the passenger seat and reaching down into the driver's side foot well -- I think this is easier than trying to install from the drivers side (for me anyway). A center punch and small pilot holes make it much easier, but it is still takes a while to drill through. It is possible to do with a cordless if you have an 18V -- something like a 9.6V won't work. I think it only took about 1 hour to install all the pedals.

Peter

21. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    And I thought I was the only one. The instructions said 30-40 minute install...my @$$! 3 drills bits and 2 hours later though they were on, not to mention putting the steering wheel back on and waiting an hour for the feeling to return to my arms and fingers. Funny thing I learned about drill bits...when you try to drill at an angle they tend to break off at the ends and fly VERY RAPIDLY around the inside of the car! Oh well, what do you expect from an IT guy? But the pedals DO look nice!

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    They key like has been mentioned is to start with a small bit (1/8" MAX) and drill SLOWLY. The reason some of you are burning up bits is you are spinning the drill too fast. This will only make things worse. It may seem counter-intuitive, but trust me it works!