Modena Search Update | FerrariChat

Modena Search Update

Discussion in '360/430' started by SoftwareDrone, May 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well on a whim I decided to call on the 2000 Red/Tan that is in the current issue of the Dupont Registry. It's got shields, red inserts, rear grill, F1, 14.7K miles. It is sitting at a dealership called "Gables Motorsports", but I could not find them on the web. Anybody ever heard of them?

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow! 48 hits and no one knows this dealership. Well the point is moot anyway, because the service book that comes with the car magically disappeared, so I'm passing on it. The search continues...

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Found what seemed to be the *perfect* car on Ferrari Market Letter. I called the guy and he really is fanatical about his car. Although it's a '99, it has the 2003 F1 TCU, new clutch, all books, etc. However.... his dealer was enticed by some guy (with an extra $90,000.00 check) to sell his F430 out from under him. So he said he's keeping his Modena until another 430 6-speed comes in, which probably won't be until the fall. So I told him that if I couldn't locate an F430 6-speed soon, I'd trash his house and tell his boss to fire him so he'd need the money and sell me his car. We were laughing so hard!

:)

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    GOD is speaking to you. He is saying YELLOW, YELLOW, YELLOW, YELLOW

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Ya, that was real easy to read....jeeech!

6. F1guru

F1guru Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Orange County, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You can always just highlight the text with your mouse :)

7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm only posting my experiences on here because I thought it would be helpful for people going through the search process. At first I figured if I get a few negative postings, then I would not post anymore search chronicles until I actually purchased a car. On the other hand, those people have a zillion other threads they can read. If I am helping even one person with these posts, then what's wrong with that?

That being said... There is a wonderful 2000 in Florida and everything looks perfect from first glance, BUT... the service book is missing. All of the other books are there, but the service book is nowhere to be found. Hmmm..... Maybe it was left at the dealership, but the salesman doesn't know which dealership that has serviced the car. If he cannot find that book, I think I'll pass. I had initially passed on a '99 with higher miles (20K) although the price was right (~120K) because it was loaded with carbon fiber parts. But after a few days, the thought occured to me (I'm a little slow, ha ha): does the owner have all the original pieces? If he does, and the service records and PPI pan out, I think I would go for it.

8. Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    There is a 2000 Red/ Tan 6 speed at Autobahn Motors (Delray Beach FL) only 4.5K miles but no service records. Can anyone speak to Autobahn's reputation?

9. 360fla

360fla Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Delray Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Marc B.
    They are right around the corner from me. They have a very nice showroom with a beautifu selection of cars. I do not know much about them or how long they have been in business. If there is a question about the car, find out where it was purchased and start from there. Use CARFAX to check on the number of owners. Do a PPI. If you need a good source you can contact Tim Standford in Ft. Lauderdale, he did a PPI on a 99 360 for me and I did NOT purchase it after he found some issues. He is very honest and reasonable. PM me if you want more info.

Marc

10. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    If you find anything in the south Florida area, I would be willing to do an 'eyeball' check for you. PM me.

11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know I've said it before, but I just have to say it again; I LOVE this website! SO MANY helpful people willing to help out! Thank you so much.

Well I'm still looking at that '99 Red/Tan/F1/Shields/Grill/Tubi/Power seats sitting at the Bentley dealership. I was able to glean a bit more information from the salesman (evidently the owner finally returned his calls). The carbon fiber that is on the car is all Tubi (center console, gage cluster, door sills, drip panels and air boxes), but he does not have the original pieces. I am trying to locate them from the shop that installed the CF, but my question is, what if I can't? How difficult is it to find these pieces from a Modena? In my dreams, I can envision aftermarket shops that do these kinds of things with a back room with all kinds of original pieces such as this just collecting dust, just waiting for someone to buy them on the cheap. But is this dream a reality?
    Also, the shop that has done the servicing for the last two years is called "Black Horse Motors" (or something like that) in LA. Anyone ever heard of these guys? When I mentioned their name to a local dealer, he acted as though I just shot him. Was that just a sales technique? Are these guys okay?
    Thank you!
    :)

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually, I recieved some very favorable feedback on this Black Horse Motors place. Evidently, a lot of Ferrari owners in the LA area get their service work done there after the warranty runs out.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yes, Carl is the mechanic there. He is good from what I have heard.

14. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    In all due respect, you are a seller's worst nightmare.

Some may disagree, but you are a "non buyer" type, so why do sellers want to waste thier time with your silly inquires?

From what I can see on the forum, you're not really a serious buyer, or, quite frankly, you just can't afford one of these fine cars.

Good luck, I hope you get one bought, but, from what I can see, it will NOT happen.

Oh well, good luck!

15. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    :eek:

16. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

;)

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ahhh.... the elitests. Gotta love 'em. I always wondered why most new Ferrari owners started their very first post with, "After months of agonizing searching, I finally purchased my first Ferrari...", but failed to give any details of their search in an attempt to help others with the same process. Sadly, it is all too clear now. At least now I have a list of friendly, helpful folks I can PM when I need advice, as these are more than happy to help someone avoid pitfalls. To the others, sorry about the waste of bandwidth.