Any racers blind in one eye? | FerrariChat

Any racers blind in one eye?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Little Joe, Jan 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Little Joe

Little Joe Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Mahwah, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe S.
    I was intending on starting autocross sometime in the end of August or early September, when I had my head crushed while working and as a result, lost sight in my right eye. I'm still waiting to be cleared to drive on the road again. But, I was wondering if there's anything barring people without full vision from any type of racing, road or track?

Here are scans to the article covering my accident:
    http://members.aol.com/g8keeper10/images/joejpg1small.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/g8keeper10/images/joejpg2small.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/g8keeper10/images/joejpg3small.jpg

Thank you for any info,
    Joe

2. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, with one eye you will have depth perception and peripheral vision problems, which may bar you from racing.

You'll need to ask a doctor who is certified to do medical exams for racing licenses.

3. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Gosh, I read the story about your accident. Terrible misfortune, but it's amazing that you pulled through so well. I hope you're suing that Jesse Singleman for all he's worth, and then some.

Admiral Thrawn is right, loss of vision in one eye will mean no depth perception, and loss of half your visual field, which will mean you have a much bigger "blind spot" in your vision. This will make racing more dangerous than it already is; however, I'm sure if you've got the willpower, you can make it. There are many racing drivers with severe handicaps driving specially modified cars, and there's no problem with their licencing. So I hope you'll get to live out your dreams too.

Good luck. :)

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #4 Miltonian, Jan 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tommy Milton, who was blind in his right eye, won the Indianapolis 500 in 1921 and 1923. I hope that you will be able to participate in some form of racing despite your own handicap. Thank you for sharing your story, and best wishes to you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Best of luck to you in your initiatives ... I like your positive frame of mind.

Archie Scott-Brown used to race back in 50s/60s with one hand only.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe former NASCAR star Ernie Irvine was blind in one eye.

BHW

7. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    As of current day F1 drivers, you will notice that JPM has selected depth perception and peripheral vision problems from time to time, especially when it is close up racing against his own teammate or anyone in red car, specifically, Michael Schumacher....... :p

All kiddings aside, I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. And sincerely hope that you will be behind the wheels again soon.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    At least give autocross a try. If nothing else, be your own judge on this one and do a few ride-a-longs to see if it effects you that heavily.

9. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Jim Michaelian, whose "day job" is promoting the Long Beach Grand Prix, lost one eye. He is actively racing sports cars, most recently a Ferrari 360 in the GT class at the Daytona test last weekend. (He also crashed, but that had nothing to do with his vision.)

10. Paha Koira

Paha Koira Rookie

Dec 30, 2004
    Central Florida
    If you can get a medical release I would think you should be able to race. I am partially blind in my right eye - the center, but I still have my peripheral vision. My experience is that my left eye has compensated and I really don't notice it. There are times when I wonder if my depth perception is off, but I doubt it is. You will be amazed at how well your body compensates to overcome your injury.

I have autocrossed and have had no problems, and can't tell any difference in my performance before or after. I think autocrossing is a good place to start because if there are issues the consequences aren't very high. You'll know if you should be racing based on your comfort level and your performance.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A friend of mine lost an eye several years ago and handles his sports cars just fine. The mind compensates for the loss of depth perception. Loss of peripheral vision remains an issue though.

12. Little Joe

Jun 10, 2004
    Mahwah, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe S.
    Thanks all! Yeah, it's amazing how the body compensates, when I first came out of drug induced coma, I had a really hard time learning how to walk again because my ballance was knocked off due to damage in the innner ear, over time that resolved itself, but I also had to adjust to depth perception. At this point in time, I've adjusted, but it was really hard to do stuff like stairs and so on in the beginning.

I'm actually going to be cleared to skate and lift weights on Valentine's day. So, I'm quite stoked for that, considering hockey has been such a large part of my life for over a decade. That probably hurt the most, being told I couldn't skate, considering I was on the ice almost every day at the time of my accident. I won't competetively play anymore, probably just mens leagues with no checking. I think I'm going to focus more on coaching just because I'd love to be able to work with kids in a way and share my love for the game.

Thank you all for your responses and the support,
    Joe

13. Little Joe

Jun 10, 2004
    Mahwah, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe S.
    Sorry to kick up an old thread. But I thought I'd update my status. I screened for my reaction speed and logic and did my hour of instructed driving on the road and I am not officially driving again after 8 long months. I'm still blind in the right eye, but it really isn't anything too different. Just have to take a good look before changing lanes instead of simply just being able to glance over. I'm very likely going to be starting to run Auto-X sometime this summer at Giants Stadium on Sundays here in NJ. It's been one hell of a trip!

14. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Great to hear you'll be out having some fun after all you've been through !

15. Hoyt Clagwell

Hoyt Clagwell Karting

Dec 5, 2004
    KY
    Full Name:
    Hoyt
    Ernie Irvan. Nickname "Swervin' Irvan"

I'm just being picky.

16. Motbot

Motbot Rookie

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Anton ignatyev
    Hey man, I know this thread is old, but would you give some advice to someone who has lost his left eye a couple months ago and wants to know how to get back on track? (Very much pun intended)

Thanks !

17. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    My father was born blind in one eye. Served both in the military and was a pilot. Do not let the circumstances surrounding your situation keep you from returning to a race track. You may need time to adjust, but you will adapt and conquer your situation. My best wishes for a complete recovery and your return to track time.

Motbot and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Carlos Monteverde the Brazilian zillionaire lost an eye in a crash in Mugello in 1999. He has raced vintage Ferraris for decades, is quick but has wrecked many important cars as he pushes too hard and who knows what influence his loss of depth perception had in all these crashes...he was in hospital this summer due to crashing his 512M tool room replica at Brands Hatch. At least he did not crash his real 512M and as someone said that is what replicas are for: to preserve historic cars.

Motbot likes this.
  19. Motbot

Motbot Rookie

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Anton ignatyev
    Yes, I think this mindset it crucial to succeeding with whatever circumstances in whatever field.
    The loss of perception really makes it difficult to judge distances but I'm adapting slowly and I definitely won't let this get in the way and stop me from doing what Im passionate about.

20. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Excellent thought process!!! Never,never let anyone say you can not do what you seek to obtain. You will succeed. I look forward to when you tell the story of a new beginning in your life!