Oil Line for 246 | FerrariChat

Oil Line for 246

Discussion in '206/246' started by sam231, May 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Need help...anyone know where I can buy an oil line for a 246. I tried Dennis McCann with no luck. Thanks.

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    GT car parts 1 623 780 2200

3. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Thanks for the help. I'll give them a call.

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    No Problem

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Could you actually get Dennis on the phone?
    amazing!

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Which line, upper or lower.

I had the lower line fabricated, and have a couple more.

I believe the upper line is still available at Ferrari UK.

PM or email me if it's the lower line.

Dave M

7. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    T. Rutlands 1-770-493-8852.

8. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I have rebuilt both oil lines on my 72 dino. Hose is available from industrial hydraulic companies. The fittings I have screw on to the hose. They are difficult to clean out after removal but it just takes a big steel needle to dig out all the fibers and rubber bits. I have used both steel jacketed and fabric jacketed hose and both are fine. Fabric jacketed wanted to colapse when bent so I inserted a compression coil spring about 6" long. Spring OD was a snug fit and has not moved in 5 years.

I bought a hose about 15 years ago and it started to drip after about 3 months. Turned out that the hose had an internal wire reinforcement that was not cut back at all. The wire kept the rubber from sealing on the threads of the connector. That was an expensive lesson. I replaced the hose and no leaks yet. 2nd hose started to leak 10 years later and I fixed it too.

Hose only runs about $1.00 per inch so you can aford to experiment. Look for folks who work on Cats and other big machinery. They can get any size and can usualy match any fitting.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Do the fittings have a compression fit to the raw hose?
    Thank you

10. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    My fittings look like swaged fittings but they are not. There are threads for the interior and exterior of the hose inside the fitting. The internal thread for the hose ID is tapered and has coarse, smooth edged threads. This forms the seal and supplies compression. The exterior threads grip the braided jacket that provides catastrophic security for the hose.

One of the hoses had disintegrated and broke when I tried to remove one fitting. That is why I mentioned digging out remains. You can't see the tapered threads until all the hose pieces are out. Once everything is clean, lube the hose and just screw the fittings on until they bottom out. Make sure the hose is the right length before you put the fittings on.

Wire braid hose must be cut with an abrasive saw. Fabric braid hose can be cut with a big sharp shear. Dont let the braid fray or you will never get the fittings on. The guys who do this every day can do an 8 inch hose in about 15 minutes.

11. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Thank you everyone for your responses, particularly those dealing with fabrication. Wish me luck!