Ferrari quiz pic | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari quiz pic

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Boudewijn, May 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Nope. First owner spoke spanish.

2. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Funny guy...
    I´m sure I have seen this car before, so I can´t stand it that I don´t recall what or when...
    You better tell me...

3. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #0216ED

Best
    Boudewijn

4. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Off course! I was almost sure it was a 225 but could not find anything about a unique body.

I´m waiting for the next one haha!

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well i got the model right... :)

6. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #31 SefacHotRodder, May 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is it true that Tony Smith 246 Dino is worth around 10m€ ?

8. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #33 Boudewijn, May 5, 2005
  9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Gilles!

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #35 Horsefly, May 5, 2005
    If it's a custom Ferrari chop job, it's worth a million dollars. If it's a kit car of the same design, it's a piece of junk. As Rodney Dangerfield said, "I can't get no respect". (so WHO copied WHO?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You'll never get it will you :).

The only reason the top car was worth any serious money is because of the components underneath. That body was SCRAPPED and car restored to close to it's original (as raced by Scuderia Ferrari) form.

Again that Ferrari custom job did not build up any significant HISTORY in that form to make it worth keeping. Now if it had won Le Mans, etc. heck maybe the ugly thing would still be around.

Thus build a replica or special Arlie, but remember it will not be worth much because:
    - It probably has no links to any significant automotive company with great history (again one of the reasons Ferraris, etc. are worth more than other cars).
    - Your name as the builder (like mine) does not add any value. Now if your name was Carol Shelby ... yep that would be a plus.
    - Your car will probably not win any significant race or otherwise record itself in history ... why because you are building something with very old technology and thus no long competitive.

Take away the 3 things above and ALL cars are only worth the scrap value of the materials ... and hence why specials and replicas are cheap as chips.
    Pete

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Probably not, because a true automovie enthusiasts admires the power and the asthetic quality of the automobile in question. To ONLY admire a certain automobile because it happens to be a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce is just a display of snobism. Sort of like saying that a Hollywood actress is beautiful and desirable, but her twin sister that lives in a trailer park is ugly and worthless. I look at the design itself and question why one design is heralded, yet a nearly identical design is ignored simply because it did not come from a design studio in Italy. Since the Ferrari 250GTO has its design roots around 1962, I "assume" that any similar design that came from anybody else at a later date would be a copy of Ferrari's (Pininfarina's?) work. Unless of course, Ferrari (or whoever) based THEIR designs on an earlier work by somebody else. WHO influenced the Italian designers? And to extrapolate further, is the Ferrari V12 REALLY such a wonder of the automotive world? Weren't multi cylinder engines being used in American cars like the Cadillac V12 and the ALUMINUM Marmon V16, as well as in fighter planes in WWII, long before Ferrari put their V12 into a car? The old saying goes, "There is nothing new under the sun", so my original question concerning 250GTO type designs: "WHO copied WHO?" (The Cobra coupe looks like a rip-off of the 250GTO design to me. But in the engineering world, form often follows function, so it's tough to say who was actually doing the copying or just following engineering principles.)

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I hear (er, read) what you are saying and you are right ... but lets be honest that is not how the world works. There have been thousands of better cars built than Ferraris, infact one could argue that every single Porsche built at any time in history was better than the Ferrari from the equivalent period.

For example, If I went and painted a better painting than the Mona Lisa would it get recognised? ... No!, I would probably get a little name for myself but I would have to back it up with a few more works and become a known artist before that painting could get the recognition it deserved.

And this makes perfect sense. You have to prove you have the goods not just perform a one off miracle. The same goes for how we judge and respect people ... we learn over time, while they interact with us whether they deserver our full respect or not.

Thus (returning to cars) there are some specials built that are miles better than production cars and even limited number manufacturers like Ferrari ... but what happened to that special builder or company? They did not back it up with another or results, etc. and thus that special became a one off miracle, flash in the pan ... and hence not fully respected.

Thus that nice looking replica or period special you keep showing ... I like it and it appears you do to ... build the bloody thing but don't expect people to get excited about it 'cause clever and whatever it may be the car is simply unknown to most, and thus has never risen from the one off special/replica market.

Some do ... look at Shelby, Ferrari itself, TVR (good example), Lotus, etc.
    No ofcourse not, but other than fighter plane engines that v12 did more publically by winning hundreds of races than any other multi-cylinder engine, and you could buy a road car with almost the same engine.
    Yes and I am sure you know that Ferrari got his v12 fantasy from a Packard (I believe) ... but again great engines they may have been they did not go about creating as much press as the Ferrari v12. Ferrari without the racing history would be absolutely NOTHING.
    Agree, but some designs/copies achieve something (Cobra Daytona coupe, etc.) others are just copies (replicas).

Pete :)

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    True, he got it from Packard. I heard him say so in an interview. There's really no secret about it. It also wasn't Enzo he created the myth around his cars. He was just very succesful in marketing his cars in a way that the rich and famous felt it was necessary to be seen in one. Racing success did the trick to maintain that 'sense of quality'.

Of course, from a strictly automotive view, we can always put a non-Ferrari ahead of a Ferrari (allthough I suppose the Enzo and the F430 really are ahead in their field). Ferrari isn't for the ratio. It's all about emotion. It's what tingles our senses, it's what gives us the desire to own one and when we finally do, the desire to get another one. There's no ratio in it. People will never get their calculators out, juggle some numbers, do a little honest thinking and conclude that the Ferrari is the way to go. If the world was rational, we'd all be driving Toyota's.

16. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I believe he made the statement that he admired "the song of a twelve".

Bob Z.

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #42 Sfumato, May 6, 2005
    Here's a file I enjoy during computer startup. 512M 1040, many moons ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. jotage21

jotage21 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007
    Argentina?

19. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Nicely put.

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Nice thread. The second photo in the post I quote here is NOT "Charlotte" that is an alltogether different car and from what Neil Corner told me when I interviewed him in his home in Yorkshire in May of 1998 for my Cavallino 112 article he bough the car directly from Logan Fow the butterfly chaser.

Is there anyone here in New Zealand who is aware of the whereabouts of that cartoonish body? I am quite fond of it as it looks like the clumsy Ferrari drawing one would do as a school kid:)!

Last I heard that body (which was removed at Fow's house prior to the car's shipping to the UK and left there) was in a chicken shed or pigsty in New Zealand!

Best regards,

Marc

21. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    For posterity, the body was not scrapped per se, and remains in New Zealand. I tracked it down a few years ago, and am now following up with the previous contact to check it is still in the same place.

-Ed

22. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Boudewijn likes this.
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not often I get quoted ten years later:)

"Charlotte" remains one of my absolute Ferrari articles due to the car's incredible life and the fabulous day I had with Neil Corner 10 years ago.

I would love to see photos of the "GTOrrible" body (to quote Doug Nye) in its current state.