355 manifold repairs......how much??? | FerrariChat

355 manifold repairs......how much???

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by CMac, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    So really......for all those who didn't show up and own a 355, you really missed out. I want to give a very special thanks to Mr. T for sharing his home/garage with those of us who chose to show, this weekend to take the mystery out of the Ferrari engine compartment. Dave's willingness to experiment on his own car has only opened the door for the other 50% of us who will have to deal with this situation in the "not so distant future". I received confirmation today from QV that, once received, the turn around will be about 5-7 days for my manifold to be back in my hands. After Carlo manages to get them installed for a fair price, I will manage to have saved in the neighborhood of $5000 - $7000 compared to FNA's solution utilizing a product that has proven to continue to fail, yet QV has yet to have a single recall.
    It is unfortunate that FNA has yet to step up to the plate to admit any guilt/fault for the almost 50% failure rate of the stock manifolds and at the same time, FoS's hands are tied to only being able to provide OEM replacements, knowing there are more reasonable, economical and permanant solutions out there.

Before rambling on too long, anyone willing to take the time to learn/experiment on their own car, will realize it's not rocket science....and thang God for forums like this for people like us who chose to share our experineces.

Thanks again Mr. T......hope the Vino was worth the efforts!

Cmac

2. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    At a whopping .045” and most likely .030” at the center of the bend, the tube is too thin for the amount of heat produced in the 355. The clock keeps ticking.

3. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Really wanted to make it down...in fact was on my way and made it down to Bellevue when something came up and I had to bail. Huge thanks Dave T. for sharing all the info he's gathered so far.

T minus 10 days until delivery...

4. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    There is a company called Max Rev which has made some manifolds for the 355 before, and are looking to get another car to both do testing and get some pictures of them. They just moved to Oregon from Arizona, but I am not sure where they moved to exactly.

If I can find this out, would someone want to get a great deal on the stainless steel headers and be willing to drop their car off at Max Rev for a few weeks?

5. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    So much much are you looking at for the job after all is said and done?

6. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    I would have to talk to Max Rev, but on my end, try and set it up for a complete package with discounts. Max Rev will be back in on Friday, so as soon as I find out from them, I will let you know.

7. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    Tow from place of dismantle $150
    QV manifolds - approx. $2200US for the pair including return shipping (currency conversion varies)
    shipping to QV approx. $200
    Reinstallation of both manifolds $500 - $700 (TBD) based on previous quotes
    Tow from house to Shop for re-installation $100 or so

$3200-$3500 i would venture to say....and rumor has it FNA's fix is in the neighborhood of $9000-$10000 using OEM replacements utilizing the same tubing that's been failing (I believe.....don't hold me to it). As John mentioned above (JH355) the materials used in the stock setup were simply substandard.....

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    qv in england are one of the cheapest for replacments

9. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    I will have 355 Manifolds avail with in the next few weeks, new design, built from 304 stainless steel. They will feature a lifetime warranty form the manufacturer & are ceramic coated. Selling price at this time is $4995.00 for the pair. If you wish more info, contact me & I can send you a pic & some more details.

10. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Just an update. CMac already had his car fixed.

11. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    QV did a wonderful job turning them around quickly, and total price out the door for less than $4500. And a big thanks (again) to "those guys" that took care of me on the installation.....you know who you are!

Nick, at $5000 a pair, you do realize you're asking the same price as the Tubi set don't you (if I recall correctly)? Just playing devil's advoacate, what's the advantage of yours over the reputation of someone like tubi? Just curious......for a "new product" don't you think there needs to be some advantage to those willing to buy yours over say Tubi or the factory replacement?

12. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    #12 Nick, May 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys, I understand that his particular car has been fixed, but for everyone else who views this thread.

These manifolds are guaranteed against perforation for as long as you own your car & are hand fabricated from T304 aircraft quality stainless, ceramic coated for better heat management and flow. I prefer ceramic coating over the heat shield method for a few reasons; think about the area between the manifold pipe & the heat shield, there are areas where there is not much distance between the shield & manifold pipe, the amount of heat centered in those hot spot areas is still a potential long term problem. I feel that the high tech coating is a better way to go as it allows the heat to dissipate evenly around the manifolds,(ADVANTAGE) also along with the patented T304 stainless flex pipe it virtually eliminates collector pipe stress and makes installation easier (ADVANTAGE) also the wall tubing is much thicker than OEM.

They are manufactured in Canada & are also Ferrari owners. These Manifolds are the highest of quality & also include the test ports & air injection rails as pictured. If any one has any more questions contact me directly at 360 410 1949.

It’s an alternative that I feel is a very good one at a reasonable cost. As I said it is a high quality product produced by fellow Ferrari owners & enthusiasts like myself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin