Besides ferrari's...what other cars do u own? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Besides ferrari's...what other cars do u own?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bmw586, Apr 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Orange is hip, here in calgary all the smart cars are bright orange or lime green or some other color like that.

2. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Congrats on your 500th post...only 25 more to go for me.

3. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    thanks, I like the boards alot.

4. wcelliot

wcelliot Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Dino:
    Yes I pretty much drive all of these, albeit in different percentages. The Dart is currently off the road for restoration, the Munga I just got my hands on and it's not running real well yet, and the Imp I'm preparing for sale.

Most all of the others are tagged and insured. I neglected to list my daughter's '68 Porsche 912 which we are restoring together or her "modern driver" 1994 Capri. She's just 15 and off to a slow start! ;-)

Bill

5. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I won't sell for it at least 4 yrs. The manual should help me sell to a crowd that would like a name brand sporty car that is safe, but couldn't afford it new - maybe someone who would buy a Honda or Scion or whatever the hot $15k car is at that time. I couldn't say what it should be worth since I have no idea how many miles I expect to put on it, but on a base C class, the depreciation shouldn't be shocking.

6. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin

Four years eh? in four years ill be seven teen :D

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You might want to look at what current C classes are selling for that are 4 years old...

8. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    who cares what the car will be worth in 3, 4, 5 years. Don't ever buy based on what the car will be worth in the future...enjoy your car NOW...have fun with it.

9. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    The Yenko Stinger was the first vehicle that Don Yenko had a hand in. Unlike the other Yenko products, it was a road racer first. The car was very successful in road racing due to its light weight, good power, and rear engine.

The Yenko Stinger was produced in 1966, with 100 units being delivered. Ours is YS-100, and has an extensive racing history from 1966-1972. It has raced on such fabled courses as Bridgehampton, Thompson, Mt Equinox, and Mt Ascutney, and was a tri-state champion in 1969. We are the third owner, and have had the car since 1987. Both of the first two owners raced the car. It was purchased from Yenko Chevrolet as a stage I to retain its warranty. The owner immediately had Yenko modify it as a stage 3 (220hp+). Our car holds another distinction in probably having more Yenko options than any other Stinger (Yenko wheels, racing seats, roll bar, 1 of 4 handbuilt close ratio gearboxes, and Yenko guages). It is also fully documented, with every piece of paper from the day it was first ordered, including many correspondenses with Donna Mae Mimms.............. as well as photos and grid sheets from many races.

For 1967 a few Yenko Stingers were built from the factory. The exact number remains in dispute. There were also quite a few "tag" cars. These were regular Corvairs that were later modified to be Stingers, and thus received a numbered tag. They were not a part of the first fleet order of Corvairs, that were sent to Yenko Chevrolet in 1966............. as these all have the coveted "blank" spot on the trim tag. All original Yenko Stingers also have a hidden vin # elsewhere in the car.

Our car does have the original race engine, with the original cases. It is not together at this point, but does not need much. It also has the complete original body. It does run and drive with a standard 140hp Corvair engine, as the race engine is hardly practical to drive (idles at 2000rpm, and requires race gas).

Sorry for the long explanation on the Yenko, but it is our pride and joy.

Our stable includes:
    1937 GMC 3-ton (sold but awaiting new owner pick-up)
    1966 Yenko Stinger YS-100
    1968 L78 Camaro SS
    1969 Ford F250 4x4 CrewCab
    1993 Eddie Bauer Explorer rockcrawler
    2001 F150 Lightning
    2003 Mazda Tribute ES AWD (my mommy mobile)

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    if you keep congratulating post milestones, you will be at 500 in no time!!!!

11. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Ditto that! Erik's just giving me a tough time cuz I chose a warranty over a 30 yr old Ferrari :) Dino Martini - I think we may be able to work something out in the future :)

12. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Work in a Motorbike shop nearly a different bike everyday during the summer, tonight is a new Yamah R1 bloody awesome bike. Daily drive car Saab 9000 Aero which is going through some modifications looking @ 300bhp soon frightens the scooby brigade.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yep, and Erik being an ex-MB owner would only get another one if it was under warranty...

14. gbrown37

gbrown37 Formula 3

Feb 15, 2005
    San Diego/UCSB
    Full Name:
    Garrett
    im 17, but my daily driver is a chevy colorado, moms daily is a lexus rx330, dads is an s55, mom also has a yukon xl, dad has a gallardo, c6, and sl55

ill get pics of the lexus/s55/yukon up soon but heres the 3 sweet ones and mine: http://client.webshots.com/user/gbrown37

15. wcelliot

wcelliot Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    YS100:
    Great to see you here! I'm fairly new myself here, but had not seen any of your other posts!

Very nice description of the Stingers. I think that original, numbers matching cars (mine is a rebodied race car without the proper VIN and build plate) will be bringing HUGE prices in the next few years... already having over doubled in value over the past 5 or 6 years. (Still not a patch on the much more common Shelby Mustang or any of the other Yenko cars... which are impressive but pretty much only in a straight line...)

I am in the market for a driver quality numbers-matching street Stinger (rebody or not) or a streetable race car but I'm really only interested in the cars thru #121 unless it is heavily documented. I tired (in vain) to buy the pair of #001 and #9700 (the last car that Yenko built for Goodyear) from an acquaintance in WI, but he ended up selling all 4 of his cars to a group that organized and lobbied him for years.

Bill

16. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #66 Attitude928, May 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #67 Attitude928, May 20, 2005
  18. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    "i cut the rust out" :p

19. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Nah........Swapped 997cc engine with 1275cc
    Bigger brakes
    Extra gas tank
    Revised clutch

20. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    I just hope that what happened with the Yenko Camaro's does not happen to the Stingers. By this, I mean the artificial increase in price. My husband follows Yenko's very closely, and noticed the odd trend. Members of the Yenko "click" would buy from each other at higher and higher prices. This artificially inflates the price, to dupe newcomers to the fold into paying these inflated prices. It is BS in our opinion.

Our car still has the original body because they stopped racing at the end of 1972. For 1973 they were moved to GT3 class, and had to have fiberglass bodies. Under the straight bodywork, you can see where the repairs had been made.......... which correspond to photos of the car racing, with body damage.

I'm pretty sure I know who you are referring to when it comes to the cars you were looking at. I will refrain from much discussion of this individual, except to say that he insulted my husband pretty badly, and we are not fond of him. If you are friends with him, please do not take any offense from what I say............. as it was between us, and him. Let me just say that he told us that racing history means nothing........... as does original paperwork......... for the value of the vehicle.

Finding original cars, or cars with their original cases is next to impossible these days. I wish you the best of luck.

21. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Studebakers - got 3 of em. Champ, Avanti, and Golden Hawk... :)

22. wcelliot

wcelliot Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    No offense taken at all... had he been a "friend" I'd have a couple of his cars now! ;-)

I agree with your opinions... there are a couple of highly documented cars for sale right now..but at what I consider those "internally inflated" prices (both above $30k)...

I passed up a numbers matching backet case a couple years ago... regret that now...

Bill

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #73 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, May 20, 2005
  24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #74 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, May 20, 2005
  25. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    Ok, thats cool. I just didn't want to offend you. :)

At one point, a few years ago, after 9/11 really hurt our business, we thought of selling the Stinger. He came out to look at it, with an understanding of the price we wanted. As he looked at the car (which looked great), not only did he say that all of the Yenko options that it has (more than any car I have ever seen or heard of) meant nothing.............. and that the racing history meant nothing............. or even all of our paperwork and documentation (most of which he has probably never seen before)........... he also insulted my husband with a phrase such as "if you are such a good mechanic, you would have had the racing engine back in the car."

He then went back to his motel to call us the next day with his decision. When he called, he offered half of what had earlier been agreed upon. Best thing that ever happened, as we still have the car.

Frankly, we think he is a shyster. He just wanted to buy ours low, and sell it high. He must have thought that because we lived in a small town, that we were idiots. He kept talking about how much money it would take to restore the car to concourse condition.

Anyone who would restore a race car.............. with a documented race history............ to stock concourse condition............... is, to me, an idiot.

Anyway, enough of that.

If you are ever in the Payson Arizona area, let us know. As a Stinger enthusiast, you would love to see all of our paperwork on the car, and the car itself. There is every piece of paper from the day it was first ordered. Its pretty neat.